Shoes for Zumba/Aerobic Dance

Options
I do Zumba, either in a class or by video on youtube a few times a week. I also do other types of dancing such as line-dancing. I've noticed lately that after dancing my toes and arches of my feet hurt a lot for a few hours. When I do the actual class I'm dancing on wood floor, but when I do it at home I'm dancing on carpet. Both hurt equally. I've had these shoes for 4 years and I've worn them for everything from gym workouts to running/training for a 5k and now dance workouts. I know it's time for a new pair, but I don't know what to buy. Should I buy actual dance shoes since I dance on both carpet and wood? Or should I buy tennis shoes with some extra arch support that I can also use to workout in on the days I don't dance?

Replies

• Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    That is a great question. I hope you fine the right shoes to wear, for what you are doing. Good luck.
  • j27grif
    j27grif Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They have Zumba shoes at Academy and they are really comfortable for dancing on the wooden floor at the gym. I say go with new shoes for your comfort. If you are comfortable....you will continue the workout. Good luck!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba only at home w/ DVDs. I don't wear shoes, but I do wear socks so that my feet slide instead of stick. Works for me. My knees and feet feel fine.
  • redwingluvr
    redwingluvr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just bout Reebok Zigs for my Zumba class but we do it on a waxed type floor so I needed shoes that wouldn't stick. My New Balance walking shoes were sticking some & it hurt my knees cuz I couldn't slide. The Zigs are so comfy & my instructor suggested them. As far as wooden floor, something with a smooth bottom. Dance shoe probably would do the trick. I do some Zumba at home too & it's hard with shoes. I've been told doing Zumba on carpet really isn't good for your legs & back but what else do I do? Can't rip the carpet up! LOL I've done it barefoot & worked ok. Not sure how much this helped but i just wanted to share.
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have zumba shoes from Nike and I love them. They are very light and flexible, but supportive.
  • princesshoagie
    princesshoagie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't even think about doing it barefoot. I was worried about not having support, but if my foot doesn't slide on the carpet and I hurt my knee that wouldn't help me either! LOL! And yeah, can't exactly rip up the carpet!
  • kittymacraw
    Options
    What about cross trainers, they do everything. I use cross trainers for everything from zumba to tennis and running. Hope that helps.

Cheers
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Look on Zappos.com. Searchs Zumba shoes. They have them on there all different brands and prices. Zappos is wonderful to work with too if you have to return items, etc. I know they have the Nike shoes that a previous poster mentioned. My Zumba instructor said you need something with good support but with very little tread. Hope that helps.
  • silbysezso
    Options
    I do Zumba 5 days a week at the gym. I was able to buy dance shoes at our local dance studio. At first they hurt my feet for about a week or so but now they don't. The dance shoes that I got are like a tennis shoes they have no arch and they slide real nice. I paid $35 for mine and I love them. But whatever you do you should get something your shoes are old and it's time.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Sorry to revive an old thread but I am a total Zumba-holic and the shoes have been an issue. I do Zumba classes at two different places and they both have carpeted floors. I purchased the Nike version of Zumba shoes and hate them. They are so uncomfortable and pinch my feet. I prefer shoe styles with a wider toe box. A couple of weeks ago one of the Zumba instructors told us about these:

http://www.slip-ons.net/

Omgosh they are AWESOME! You put them over your regular athletic shoes and now you have all the foot support you need with your usual favorite shoes but they slide better. I totally recommend them.

Btw our health club does not allow Zumba class attendees to come barefoot. Shoes are a requirement. According to them you could damage your feet by repeatedly doing Zumba barefoot... just something to consider :)
  • lmlee100309
    lmlee100309 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    re: carpet...have Zumba'd barefoot-ouch! Ordered the slip ons but after about 10 minutes my feet KILL...am going to try putting them on a narrower shoe and not my runners. I also have been googling and several people have used duct or packing tape and taped the ball part of the shoe and they slide perfect! If I can't get my slip ons to not hurt my feet, I am going for the duct tape idea!