yoga

Options
just did yoga for the 1st time. did not last long and can only do standing and bending etc, no on the floor or on knees yet and dont quite have the breathing down but what i did do feels so good!

Replies

• Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've done it sporadically over the years, and I'm always surprised at how much better I feel when I do it.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great, and it works wonders for core strength, along with flexibility. To get good at it, you have to continue doing it.
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It always is so painful for me. :/ I wish I could enjoy it.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I do yoga 1-2 classes per week and it has helped me so much in terms of flexibility and balance for my other activities. It's also a great source of stress relief. I find it easy to skip because it doesn't seem intense enough but my body sure lets me know when it's been a while. I definitely think it's something I'll continue to do for the rest of my life. So many positive impacts!
  • docc30
    docc30 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started three weeks ago on the advice of my trainer. I've already noticed that I'm more flexible which has helped correct my form for squats. I really don't like Yoga, but I do like the results.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    There's a yoga group on here open to all:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group

There usually is a style to suit just about anyone, for those that don't like yoga, don't find it intense enough, or find it too intense.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i remember my first yoga class... i couldn't touch my toes when i bent over, and even the slightest movement made me break out in a sweat. the teacher pulled me aside and had me do poses different than the rest of the class. but when i was finished -- oh my, how amazingly good i felt!

fast forward eight years later... and i can touch my toes now, along with progress in many other poses! stick with it! you'll love it!
  • JorgeGonzales
    Options
    When the breath wanders the mind also is unsteady. But when the breath is calmed the mind too will be still, and the yogi achieves long life. Therefore, one should learn to control the breath.
    - Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Just wanted to mention that I saw Peggy Cappy on PBS last year and followed along with her to do Yoga for Arthritis. But her DVDs are for people of all different fitness levels. She has one in particular that I like called, "Yoga for the Rest of Us: Easy Yoga for Arthritis". You can buy it on Amazon for under $14. Here's what the description says about the DVD:

"This new special is divided into seven easy-to-use segments that will leave you energized and feeling more flexible:
    • Gentle Warm-ups to loosen shoulders, neck and back, legs and feet
    • Warm-ups for the hands, wrists, and arms
    • Standing poses
    • Seated poses
    • Reclining poses
    • Deep relaxation techniques
    • Meditation

This gentle yoga routine is perfect for people of all ages and abilities as Peggy's unique approach allows for three modifications for each pose: standing, seated or using a chair for support. Plus, Peggy incorporates meditation into this workout, a technique proven to increase our ability to deal with stress. "

Hope this helps.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I'm starting yoga at the end of the month, luckily I have a studio at the back of my house :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Yoga's great. Initially started going for the wildlife viewing, stayed because it's so easy and low impact.

Now trying to do inversions and stuff is becoming a fun challenge.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I like to do it 3 times a week for cross training with my running. I really love the days when my legs feel really loose and stretched out afterwards.
  • Kaelakcr
    Options
    Good for you! Just wanted to mention that I saw Peggy Cappy on PBS last year and followed along with her to do Yoga for Arthritis. But her DVDs are for people of all different fitness levels. She has one in particular that I like called, "Yoga for the Rest of Us: Easy Yoga for Arthritis". You can buy it on Amazon for under $14. Here's what the description says about the DVD:

"This new special is divided into seven easy-to-use segments that will leave you energized and feeling more flexible:
    • Gentle Warm-ups to loosen shoulders, neck and back, legs and feet
    • Warm-ups for the hands, wrists, and arms
    • Standing poses
    • Seated poses
    • Reclining poses
    • Deep relaxation techniques
    • Meditation

This gentle yoga routine is perfect for people of all ages and abilities as Peggy's unique approach allows for three modifications for each pose: standing, seated or using a chair for support. Plus, Peggy incorporates meditation into this workout, a technique proven to increase our ability to deal with stress. "

Hope this helps.

This helps a ton! Taking down the name now. :)
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I took a yoga class when I was in college for my P.E credit. I loved it. I got so bendy! lol Now I can't find a yoga DVD I like and I can't afford to take classes now. hrmph.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It's great that you've found something you like! Yoga always sounds like a great idea before I start, then when I do it - I hate it with a fire-y passion. It's too bad because I know it is good for you but I'd just rather be moving more quickly, LOL!
  • Kaelakcr
    Options
    If it hurts, you're approaching it wrong. Never ever push. Just stop where you naturally stop. It doesn't matter how little it is, for you, it's a lot. Never push through it. That's not what yoga is. Bend or twist to the point where it feels like it's too much, then back off a notch and that's it. If you keep it up, you will slowly get more bendy and stretchy. But it may take years to touch your toes. There's no rush. Be kind to your body.

I have fibromyalgia, so things just hurt sometimes. My muscles like to cramp when I put pressure on parts of my body. Achy joints and other crappy pain things. It's just kinda painful. I want to find a nice, gentle yoga DVD so I can go as gently as I want in the privacy of my home. :)