Trying to maintain.

Options
I've not got to exercise very much last 3 weeks because of my arm (left Radial neck fracture), so no bicycle, weights, etc... Don't want to make my right arm stronger than my left (more than it already is, I'm right handed) and can't really hold onto weights. I've been walking and running 2-3 times a week, total time 1 1/2 to 2 hours each workout, slow, boring, and seems to last forever, but at least I'm getting a little physical activity. Plus a little ab work, though not a bunch.

Anyways, I'm using my fitness pal to track my intake and even though I've switched to maintain, I lost another .4 pounds this week. Started dieting (low carb, 50g or less and about 1950 calories per day for about 6 months before I started upping carbs and calories) August of 2013 at 295+ pounds (I'm 37, male, 6-0) and had not exercised for 20 years since high school. Shortly after starting my diet I started exercising 3-5 times a week (before my arm, I was doing 5 days a week, 3 weight days and 2 conditioning).

Anyways, I got to 165 pounds and ~10% (perhaps a little under, hard to tell with loose skin in lower abs, wish it would go away, but I'm leaner than I've ever been today) body fat couple weeks ago and decided to switch it up and maintain my current weight. Since then, I've lost about another pound (164.2 this morning) eating 2400 calories a day. Today, I adjusted my macros to 30% protein (was 35), 35% carb (was 30%), and 35% fats. However, don't know if this will help, though right now, I feel as though I'm getting enough protein (more than 1 g per pound of body weight) I don't know how low I should go with it. (180 G of protein is goal at 30%) Fat, I try to get 80 or so grams a day, and carbs, though I eat more than I use to, most of my carbs is fiberous vegatables. Though I do get cereal (Kashi Go Lean), sweet potatoes, bread, and little rice.

My plan is to maintain until my arm heals (Next monday will be 4 weeks, ortho said 6-8 weeks, though it is a lot better now and I can use for light stuff, I don't know how long it will be before I can lift heavy, I'm doing as told, to lift light and slowly build up to heavier weight, don't know how long that will take) and then I'd like to maybe start building some muscle (I'm skinny, LOL, I have abs for first time in my life though, and more time goes by the more they become visible, I can see them in any light--even lower part is there, once you look past skin) but I don't know if I need to up my calories more, keep going at current level and see if it stops or what. 2400 based off of lightly active on my fitness pal (though I could very well be "active" which would require more calories, I'm a welder but most days I'm up and down ladders, walking, carrying etc... Any thoughts?

Know, backwards from normal, I'm not losing weight questions, but I don't want to get too skinny. My original goal was to hit 8% (i'm really close I feel) but feel that it is time to put on some muscle before I get any leaner.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    my son is a welder there is no way you shouldn't have active as your setting.

As for the weight loss don't worry about it right now...you have gone from lifting etc to just walking...that is to be expected as you lose some water weight.

If you are a bit worried add in another 50 a day for a while if you are still losing add in 100 a day until you are maintaining...but as I said it's probably water weight...

Same thing happened to me this week, took a week off of lifting...down 1.5lbs...:noway: but I know some of it's water and it will be back next week when I start back up.

ETA: Welders lift, tug, stand, up and down ladders, carry heavy stuff and are on the go...my man child comes home everyday starved even after eating a cooler full of food.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I ask because I am a female and I will eat 2,000 calories before doing anything. (Even walking I add back for exercise calories to eat.) Not only are you active but you work out as well? You should be eating more than 2400 calories/day.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight when you don't want to them eat more calories (the macros wont make a difference to this bit). If you are gaining weight then you are eating too much. Maintenance is just about finding the right balance for you and your activity levels. Try using a few TDEE calculators (google them) and see what the average of a few of those is ball-parking your calories at.

There are also advanced ways of estimating your calorie burns by using Fitbits, HRMs etc..
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Day after posting this I went down to 162.8 pounds. I'll get little leaner not big deal right now, but will continue working bugs out until I figure out, hopefully by then I can work out again and I'll start adding calories 100 or so at a time to build muscle.