Airport Food & Plane Food...

Options
Basically i am curious if there are other travellers out there, and if there are helpful tips.
Is there a trick other travellers do to manage this when they are "on the go"?

I was starving on the plane today so ate 1/2 of the egg sandwich offered, and drank a heap of black coffee.
But I caved once I landed and got a venti latte at starbucks because i could not stay awake and had a full day of work to get into.

Advice, any and all welcome.

Replies

• tbonethemighty
    tbonethemighty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You are travelling = do it, drink the latte (and, if this is me, eat the chocolate croissant/bakery ham sandwich/pretzels/whatever you feel like), log it, move on.

I travel a lot...I try not to go crazy in airports/train stations during possible layovers, but I don't sweat it if I do. I don't go for candy bars and try to get stuff that I think will keep me relatively satisfied, and I might grab, say, a bag of mixed nuts and a bottle of water from the grocery store before I leave on my trip...but that's about it. Train station lattes are probably the most satisfying thing I can think of at the start/end of a long travel day...
  • chrissywelsh10
    chrissywelsh10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thats the approach I am taking - just logging it....
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If this is vacation, enjoy it. If this is something you do often, pack some snacks for on the plane.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I typically just bring my own food, although I found that portions on planes are small and many airport foods have calories listed.
  • roland72
    roland72 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Chrissy,

I travel a lot for work too and it isn't always easy to stick to a healthy eating plan when on the go. Travelling and staying in hotels is one of the reasons I piled on the pounds (=boredom eating).

There are a few things you can do, it obviously depends on the kind of travelling you do (long haul, short haul) and time of day.

If I have a very early morning flight I tend to either prepare a smoothy the evening before so I don't have to faff about in the morning. Adding a handful of bran flakes to it helps to bulk it up and make it more filling. Porridge is always a good alternative too. it is quick to make, filling and keeps you going for a while.

I also prepare some snack packs of nuts in advance. these are little bags of nuts which I make once a month (yes a bit much I know, but it helps). You can make your own and save them under your recipes so you can log them easy too. I tend to take a couple of those with me when I am driving or flying. Much better than a packet of crips or a bar of chocolate.

When you fly long haul, take a bit of time when booking. Quite often you are given options on what food you want/need. Most people will skip over this but a lot of airlines will give you an option to pick a "special" meal. This can be bland, low fat, fruit, gluten free, vegetarian, ... whatever they have as an option. These meals tend to be a lot healthier than the usual fare, but you do have to book them in advance as they are special order. I have tried some of these on the airlines I fly on and they are pretty damn good.

Personally I have also stopped going for the coffee places at the airport as the temptation is also too big to give in to any of the extras. In my mind coffee was always paired with a croissant/muffin/biscuit so it was a way to break the habit.

Hope this helps a bit
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    pack snacks - dry cereal, fruit, nuts, snack/protein bars, peanut butter & jelly sandwich, even popped popcorn if you have the room.

make better choices - how long are you travelling for? The salad might be the better choice but the turkey club has more protein and fats to keep you full. If you only have a couple hours, the salad will probably work but if you have several hours until you get there, the sandwich might be better. Ultimately it's about tracking the food and making them fit into your calories but you also need to think about the content/quality off those calories.

No problem with coffees, just pick the lighter choices there too. Don't let hunger make you weak to temptations.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I travel on a regular basis. I find it easiest if I take a large water bottle that I can fill after security. I also take a meal in my bag, such as apple slices and peanut butter or a sandwich with carrot and celery sticks. Even salad with chicken. Once even meatloaf leftovers. No need to treat it as something special as an excuse to go overboard. It is just another day.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I used to travel a lot, both domestic flights and international. If it was a domestic flight under 2 hours, I ate nothing. If up to 5 hours, I would either grab something at the airport before flight or I would hold off on eating until I landed. Most airports have a decent sandwich shop or a place where you can get a salad to carry on. I did that pretty frequently. I drank only water on the flight.

For international flights, I had to fly anywhere from 11 hours to 18 hours because I was flying to Asia several times a year. I'd eat a solid meal before flying and eat everything that was palatable they gave me on the flight. Dealing with jet lag on top of not eating enough can be problematic. And water, water, water.
  • radario
    radario Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've always travelled a lot and used think airport/plane calories were free calories... just like airport shopping was free :) Now I don't eat on planes as I'm mostly only flying a couple of hours. When traveling I always pack snacks to help me avoid temptation or splurging cos I'm ravenous. I do find a milky coffee can often get me through to my next meal though - but now that I live somewhere with no Starbucks or any similar kind of coffee chain I've got it down to mostly coffee with just a bit of milk foam and a Starbucks style coffee flavored milk drink now turns me right off!! We CAN change even the most ingrained habits, it just takes a little practice.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    depends on the airline you fly on....

I buy quite a bit of food from the American Airlines Admirals club, and they publish nutrition facts, and I can find their food in the database.

When I fly on longer flights on US Air where they serve meals in first class, I generally guesstimate, since I can't often find nutrition information for their stuff.

Finally, prepackaged snacks with barcodes that the plane provides are often also in the database.
  • chrissywelsh10
    chrissywelsh10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Airline is mostly: KLM

Flights are not domestic: I fly all over Europe for business and occasionally weekends (and because its not domestic) they DO take food and liquid off you at security, and security gates vary from being at the gate itself to just after check in. Taking snacks was something I had considered for a while but no food in the secure area.

Most flights are under 5 hours

Occasion flights of 12-14 hours

Around: once a month 14 times a year 28 flights roughly

Checked the meal options, they provide a meal and can choose between meat and vegetarian. No low calorie options.

I could up my will power of course, eat before i go, eat as healthy as possible before the flight, and try and make it be enough. Even eat soup for dinner on the days I fly to make back those calories.... all great ideas