Woman time cravings

Options
Ugh! I eat pretty healthy and since starting this site I've been good about portions and working out. I've lost 11lbs so far this month. But when it's "that time" all I want to do is munch on garbage. I've been good so far but I really don't want to get weak and buy candy and chips. I can do it. Any other ladies suffer from this???

Replies

• tlpommier
    Options
    This week has been really bad for me and that issue. I just want to eat everything in site and it showed when I didn't lose any weight this week. That pop really seemed worth it though. Thankfully it is only once a month and now I am back to being good. You have to have a cheat meal every so often!
  • kimhall73
    kimhall73 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do I????? YESSSSS...it's happening now, today I ate candy, but thank God for burning 700+ calories with the eliptical and dancing, so I was still under my calorie goal. I am trying to think mind over matter, so I can try not to eat those BAD foods during that time!!
  • kimdummermuth
    Options
    Agreed! lol I started yesterday.. Ahh thankfully hubby got me healthy choice fudge bars. 100 calories each. Helped with the fact that I was chocolate!! I felt better after eating that today. Then had some squash seeds I cooked up with some salt. That covered my salt craving.. and not to bad in calories. helped but I totally want more! lol So I did have a fun size 3 muskateers bar.. lol but worked it off with my Wii boxing. It was hard to work out with how I feel so didn't do as much but did some. Actually helped me feel better.
  • cupcakelover103
    cupcakelover103 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I find that its best for me not to weigh myself when i have my period. Because, last week even though i ate healthy and within my calories i lost no weight. I'm assuming i gained water weight, and just felt bloated and ugh.
    The first 2 days of that TOM i crave sugar and just can't seem to be full!
    But it's all about planning, and have low cal snacks and maybe a few treats within your calories.
    Exercise also helps with cramps, especially swimming.
    But yes, it's completely normal.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Me too! when TOM comes to town I crave nothing but junk!
  • steacher24
    Options
    Russell Stover has some pretty good no sugar added chocolates. They help a lot around that time!
  • narrowdoor
    narrowdoor Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I go with just digging in and getting more exercise, burn, burn, burn....but don't replace with too much eating :) Last night I had 9 hersheys hugs, I made sure to eat them slowly, savoring the chocolate melting...Even played with the foil wraps in between to make them last longer. They were pretty sweet, so really satisified my craving :~)
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    I usually burn about 800 calories a day at the gym but today I was so sluggish...then later came the cramps and it dawned on me. I ate a weight watchers peanut butter cup sundae and it was soooo good but I sure do want more!
  • rebeccaoneillcarter
    Options
    Skinny Cow makes awesome 100 calorie ice cream treats for when you're raggin. Well I mean, that's not why Skinny Cow makes em but that's why I buy em.
  • jusniq
    jusniq Posts: 49
    Options
    understand this very well......I realize that if i keep myself busy during that time...its not that bad....but if I'm not busy, and stuck in one place....trouble
  • bassetthree
    bassetthree Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Glad to have these tips. I am only 1 week in and haven't experienced trying to achieve when aunt flo visits. So now I am pre-planning. I love South Beach protein bars. The peanut butter one and the chocolate one are very yummy; almost candy-like and filling. Also, Jello sugar free dark chocolate pudding. Now all I need is the crunchy salty fix... so maybe some whole grain crackers with laughing cow spreadable cheese. Oh.... and lots of support from other understanding women. :) Hope its less miserable for you tomorrow. Good news is - this too shall pass.
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I was told by quite a few people not to weigh yourself during TOM and don't worry too much about the cravings. If you know you crave use your "cheat" meals during this time. I get coco roasted almonds sometimes which help with the chocolate cravings and are good for me.
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You are not alone!! For the past day or two I have been trying to stay away but I just couldn't . I wanted chocolate and cakes and so on. I'm sure I haven't lost anything.. Soo afraid to weight myself
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    HA HA! So glad I'm not alone! :ohwell: I like the nugo protein bars for a "candy fix" but I ran out right when I needed them most! :sad: I'll be going to Costco in the next day or so to get more!
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You absolutely are not, my GYN says it's completely normal. I find my appetite to be completely insatiable at least the week before and some months two weeks. The sweet/salty craving equated to reese's, pb m&M's, or payday for me in the past so it's great to see what others are using as a healthy substitute. The upside is they claim a women's resolve and willpower increases during the days of actual flow so if you can just make it through day 1, hopefully day 2 will be easier :)
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0846/is_10_21/ai_86035109/

A Your problem is very real and quite common, says Los Altos, Calif., physician Susan Lark, M.D., author of the Premenstrual Syndrome Self Help Book (Celestial Arts, 2001). "Many women crave sugar intensely during the second half of their menstrual cycles [the two weeks before menstruation]." Eating sugary foods causes blood-sugar spikes, followed by sharp declines, a pattern that exacerbates irritability, anxiety and lightheadedness. These symptoms only lead to more sugar cravings.

The women who crave sugar tend to be the same women who experience mood swings and other PMS symptoms. A 2001 study of 144 women published in the British Journal of Nutrition found that the 88 women who met the criteria for PMS showed a significantly greater intake of calories, fat and carbohydrate (especially cereals and desserts) before their periods. They also ate less protein. The women who did not meet the PMS criteria did not alter their eating habits during the month. The women in this study were overweight, but Lark says the results are consistent with her clinical experience with patients who are not overweight.

Although there have been a number of studies examining cravings and the menstrual cycle, scientists still don't know exactly why some women crave sugar before their period. You can, however, take steps to blunt the cravings. Lark suggests eating more foods rich in protein, fiber and healthy fats, all of which slow the digestive process and help keep your blood sugar in balance. "Make a smoothie with soy milk, a banana, a tablespoon of oat bran and flaxseed oil." Lark says. "You'll get a bit of sweetness, but it won't trigger the sugar cravings, and you'll feel very satisfied." She also recommends a multivitamin/mineral supplement because nutrients such as chromium, magnesium and vitamin [B.sub.6] help stabilize blood sugar levels.
  • cupcake502
    Options
    i drink i low cal hot chochloate drink. and i chop up peppers/carrots/cucumbers and munch on them!! or freeze diet coke in the freezer in an ice cubes tray and munch on them cubes.