work out morning or night

Options
wondering if it is better to work out in the morning or at night time. I usually hit the sack at 11pm. what is the latest I should workout at night. would I benifit from early am work out more?

Replies

• kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    It's more a matter of what works with your life. The best time to exercise is the time you will stick with. I do morning because I can do it nearly every day without other things getting in the way.
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    i just usually workout whenever i can
    if i set a schedule it'd just get messed up anyways
    but mostly i'm working out after work which is around 6 or 7
    and on weekends i do it morning and night
  • m00tmike
    m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty crazy schedule so I work out whenever I can. Today was 6:30am, tomorrow will be at about 10am. I have found though, that working out at night keeps me up later. I went at around 9pm one night and couldn't get to sleep until about midnight.
  • McDougal416
    McDougal416 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I try and do both...work out in the morning for 20-30 min's and then again after dinner. If you work out first thing..you get your metabolism up and going (haven't made it that early yet...) and then I lose weight better if I work out after dinner..normally I try and work out about an hr or so after..but no later than an hr BEFORE bed...excersising usually wakes me up for another hr or so...so, just becareful when you do it, cause you might be up for a bit.
  • Thickasgrits760
    Thickasgrits760 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I workout in the mornings. I won't do it if it's not right after breakfast. I'm just really weird like that. But calories are calories it doesn't matter when you workout as long as your moving. Good luck to you.
  • UcallMeJay
    Options
    Whatever works for your schedule is the way to go.I've found that working out in the morning gets you energized for the rest of the day. And if you work out too late you may have trouble going to sleep because your body is so stimulated from the workout.
    A good workout seems to gives you a positive vibe for the rest of the day.
    Good Luck with your goals!
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I always work out first thing in the morning, not only does it boost your metabolism all day but it also is done and over with. And like someone said working out too late may keep you up because sometimes it makes you feel energized. With that being said, everyone is different and some people work out better and even longer at different times of the day. I know my boyfriend can't do mornings at all, and I can't do midday because I feel too sluggish
  • sheeleza
    sheeleza Posts: 6
    Options
    So it's been a few months since I asked this question. I tried some of your suggestions. I find working out in the morning is better in that I feel more energized and relieved it is over. However, by 8pm I am tired and ready for bed not to mention I get the munchies. what's up with that. On days I worked out in pm hours I seem to watch what I eat more carefully because I feel there might be a slight chance I will not get to the gym. I do like to work out on Saturdays afternoon, especially if I have night plans. It gives me that boost of energy!
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If I know I won't be able to work out after work, I try and wake up early and work out... okay, okay, so that's only been once this week... and I will wake up early tomorrow!!!!

Fit it in whenever you can!
  • yvesvictoria
    Options
    Do not work out too late at night. The problem is that you dont result in getting a restful sleep and that counteracts with your diet plan, how you consume food and function...thus, you might feel really tired doing the exercise and it becomes counteractive. I try to do it in the morning.I have a hectic study and work schedule but either that or I break up ten minutes throughout the day though I like to do it in one chunck
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i dont think it matters really. you'll hear all sorts of opinions..really for me its whenever i feel like it so i can get the maximum workout i can.

i work night shift..so i most often workout right after work. if i dont have to work i sleep in and exercise in the evenings. i think everyones body is different..when i workout in the mornings before bed i dont feel anymore energized than if i worked out in the evenings..watch out for exercise and diet myths.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I like to work out in the mornings, after my coffee. If I work out at night, I'm too cranked up to go to sleep.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I work out at night. I have a pretty stressful job and I find it helps me get rid of that crap and I sleep through the night now, which I hadn't done in quite some time.

Also, I have to walk past the gym on my way home and that damn building has eyeballs I swear.