Want to Start Boxing... Where to begin?

Options
I am overweight and cannot stand exercising. Bad combo. I started to look up boxing, as I hear it is a great fat burner and overall toner. It also looks like a good way to let off some steam. Any advice for beginners? I don't have any equipment but am willing to get a bag and stuff. Any advice?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    go take a boxing class?
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If you want to buy a bag and gloves, keep in mind that you don't know anything about form and technique and can easily hurt yourself. Look for a gym near you and take some lessons and ask for homework exercises to do at home on your own. There's several group fitness classes that offer similar elements to boxing.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    go take a boxing class?

It's a trap
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Check your local YMCA for classes.
  • bluedaisy34
    Options
    I agree with everyone above - be sure to take a few classes first! Learning the appropriate technique is important so that you do not injure yourself. You also don't want to get used to boxing a particular way, just to learn you aren't doing it right and you have to "relearn" everything.

If you do want to get started immediately, I recommend trying shadow boxing. It seems silly, but is a great way to get your heart rate up and help you become familiar with the movements.

I love boxing - I hope you enjoy it as well!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    go take a boxing class?

^this. Most of them are about 30 minutes and you do what you can do until you build up stamina. They will teach you the basic moves and then you can build from there. The classes are less about form and more about moving and being active. It's actually a pretty good form of upper body resistance training with additional cardio from HIIT.

I've been taking boxing fitness for about two years and have really started to get into it. I ended up taking private lessons, so I can actually learn what I am doing.
  • hensue11
    hensue11 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it would help, but Kelly Coffey Meyer has some Boxing DVD's, i have one called Step boxing and its so good, you dont have to use a step either, there is also a modifier, i beleive theres one called 'Train Like a Contender' aswell but i dont have that one, Cardio KickBox is another one of hers, which is brilliant aswell, just a little trickier.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Look up places like CKO (it's a cardio boxing/kickboxing place). We had something similar in my town and I did it for almost a year and dropped 38lbs and 10 inches. It is an amazing workout.
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Take a class! It's fun and it really is an awesome way to get in shape. I do BJJ and Boxing and I highly recommend both. I've been doing powerlifting training for almost two years - after one boxing class, I was sore in places I did not know you could actually get sore in. It was AWESOME!!! Do it, Do it, Do it! :-D
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I think you first need to decide whether you want to learn boxing ( the sport where you are hitting a real person) or whether you want to do a boxercise class. Both are good for cardiovascular fitness but have a different focus . In out town we have boxing gyms where you learn to hit people, and boxing/boxercise classes in regular gyms (which also offer step aerobics, Zumba etc). I've done boxing class in my regular gym but I would feel intimidated/nervous going to the boxing gym. That could just be all in my head though!!
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    ^definitely this! But joining an organized class either way is the best way to go. You'll make new friends and push yourself a lot more. I joined a full contact class a month ago, have lost 6 pounds of fat, and am having a great time. Good luck!