Runner's High?

Options
I've been running since June 28th. Some weeks, I run about 10-15 miles per week on average. The average distance I run is about 4 miles. Yesterday, I was running with my husband (he has a faster pace, but he run-walks) and when he finished the 4 miles, I just kept going. And going. To date, I've never run farther than 5 miles, and that was really about 50/50 running and walking. I ran 7.5 miles! And, I ran the whole way. Every step. My last full mile (mile 7) was a 9:30 pace, which is super fast for me. Usually I run about 12 mins/mile.

I honestly felt like I could have kept going, but it was pouring rain and I was getting chilled.

Thoughts on what happened here? I'm not complaining, at all; I just don't necessarily understand the physiology of what happened and how it now gets applied to my training.

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    That is awesome sounds like you did hit that high. I try to save mine for race days if at all possible. I have a 15k this Sunday. Running is addictive so beware.

29509743.png
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    That happened to me last weekend. I was suddenly inspired to go twice as far as I'd planned. It felt awesome, of course.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    fitness builds up, and in a way, can be compounded. can't run more than 4 miles? well, a lot of 3-4 mile runs and you start to build up the endurance and then one day it all kinda clicks and you break through that mental wall that held you back.
  • christinehuds
    christinehuds Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes! That was definitely you're first running high! Congrats! That's an amazing burst.

I'm not a professional, but I'd suggest slightly increasing your training from here. Try increasing your frequency, distance or speed -- but not all three at once. Try adding in intervals to work on speed, or adding a little more distance to your runs each week. Your body is getting used to running and it's learning how to respond to being pushed on a regular basis. You'll only get faster, stronger and better from here! If you push extra hard like you did on your latest run, it's important to give your body some rest and recovery. Even though it felt easy for you, your body put forth a huge effort and it's crucial to give it the recovery, rest and nutrition it needs to heal and get stronger!

Keep up the good work!!
  • Muchaneta1305
    Options
    I agree..theres a certain runners high that hits you from time to time. I always think of it as going into autopilot mode. Running like the wind and forgetting everything else around you.
  • Perksy80
    Options
    I found the same. I stared at the beginning of July doing a C25K. At the end of one of the sessions I just decided to run the 5 min cool down, then cool down after. the next day I went for a run and did the 5K. a few of those then one day, for no reason and no planning I ran 12k. I think there is a moment when you start where you pass that barrier and discomfort and it just feels OK. I now know for any run that after the first 2-3 K it gets easier. That said, from reading around don't let that high make you keep going too far too often. It is a certain way to injury. Build up slowly. And it is addictive
  • onlyboys1
    Options
    Great! I had a moment where I thought, "Maybe my cardiovascular system is broken." My heart rate was steady and lovely the whole time! Glad to know it's not atypical! Definitely looking forward to it again; it was like the stars aligned: a rain, a lovely beat, breath coming steady, legs on autopilot.

I did crash pretty hard about an hour after the run. I stood up and OOF! I feel the lactic acid buildup today in places where I've never felt it before--like shoulders, upper arms and abdomen. And my left knee--ouch. I would like to increase in duration, and I'd love to make 11min/miles my new norm, if I can increase my intensity.

I have to tell you, I think I'm already addicted. :)
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've always said, once you've run 3 miles without stopping you can run 25.
  • christinehuds
    christinehuds Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great! I had a moment where I thought, "Maybe my cardiovascular system is broken." My heart rate was steady and lovely the whole time! Glad to know it's not atypical! Definitely looking forward to it again; it was like the stars aligned: a rain, a lovely beat, breath coming steady, legs on autopilot.

I did crash pretty hard about an hour after the run. I stood up and OOF! I feel the lactic acid buildup today in places where I've never felt it before--like shoulders, upper arms and abdomen. And my left knee--ouch. I would like to increase in duration, and I'd love to make 11min/miles my new norm, if I can increase my intensity.

I have to tell you, I think I'm already addicted. :)

Oh yeah. You're officially a runner.