Exercise Calories...

Options
Yes,eat them. You will store fat if you don't.

Please Bump This Post.:grumble:

Replies

• Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Lol!! I sure do too:wink:
  • KelleyKay
    Options
    So If I burn 800 calories a day hiking, I need to eat those 800 calories on top of my set 1200 calories? Ugh...
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this really....if weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out...then if you eat your exercise calories won't you just be neutral and maintain?
  • mycrazyturtles
    Options
    Women are supposed to have 1200 Calories so if you goal is 1200 and your burn 800 then you do need to eat those calories. But if your goal is 2000 and you burn 800 your just fine. But if you find yourself not loosing weight then you need to changes somethings up. Eating more might actually help you loose weight.
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this really....if weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out...then if you eat your exercise calories won't you just be neutral and maintain?

Nope! Because the calorie goal that is set for you by MFP already includes a deficit, technically speaking you should be able to not exercise at all and still lose weight using MFP... but then you won't be as fit or shapely :P

Not eating your exercise calories can give you a really intense deficit, which can be a bad thing.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options

No. If you are following the MFP guidelines that you set up when you started, you will STILL be eating fewer calories. This is due to the fact that MFP already factors in a calorie deficit for you. It is usually a 500 calorie deficit. The math has already been done for you. Please folks, eat back at least some of your exercise calories. It really does work.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options

No because if MFP is telling you to eat 1200 calories. It has already put in your -500 calories from the calories your body burns based on the activity level you put in when you started. So if you workout on top of that you need to eat back those calories.

My profile says that I need 1550 calories a day, so it put me at 1200 because I can't have a greater deficit because I need to still get all my nutrients. I've not set my calorie level at 1350 and if I exercise try to eat back enough to have a net of 1200.
  • Zumbalady808
    Options
    Yes eat your calories, I learned the hard way too, I was trying to just eat 1200 calories a day even when teaching my Zumba class and I wasn't losing any weight and I kept asking do I gotta eat my exercise calories, yes yes yes!!!

So the next 1 1/2 I ate my calories as close as possible and I dropped like 4 pounds in that one week!!!!

So like everyone is saying if you don't your body thinks it's starving and starts storing the next's day food!!!!! And MFP has allready figured in your exercise goals and what you want to lose.. So yes eat as close as possible to the calorie burn.

My advise, if you know your going to work out that day start eating more thru out the day, allow yourself that extra snack or two and if you have extra after dinner eat some dessert, it's totally been working for me and I don't feel deprived and I don't feel like I'm on any diet at all!!!!
  • Zumbalady808
    Options
    Yes eat your calories, I learned the hard way too, I was trying to just eat 1200 calories a day even when teaching my Zumba class and I wasn't losing any weight and I kept asking do I gotta eat my exercise calories, yes yes yes!!!

So the next 1 1/2 I ate my calories as close as possible and I dropped like 4 pounds in that one week!!!!

So like everyone is saying if you don't your body thinks it's starving and starts storing the next's day food!!!!! And MFP has allready figured in your exercise goals and what you want to lose.. So yes eat as close as possible to the calorie burn.

My advise, if you know your going to work out that day start eating more thru out the day, allow yourself that extra snack or two and if you have extra after dinner eat some dessert, it's totally been working for me and I don't feel deprived and I don't feel like I'm on any diet at all!!!!
  • KelleyKay
    Options
    So other than the health benefits from the exercise I get from Hiking 5 miles a day, It really can be acheived as easily by walking maybe 2 miles a day. and maybe a 5 mile once a week.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Sort of unrelated but mentioned earlier in the thread - what is "bumping" and how do you do it.?
  • KelleyKay
    Options
    I have lost 20lbs so far and it just scares me to eat more. I am not starving myself, I am eatting various fruit Veggies, chicken and fish in moderation. and having Medifast bars fro snacks. and 1% MIlk as a treat, I love milk. Fear being when I get to my goal weight, How to maintain and not gain back

76208.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Sort of unrelated but mentioned earlier in the thread - what is "bumping" and how do you do it.?
    You just write *bump* In the reply so the thread does not get old.
    The calorie question is a popular question :heart: so I figured I would make a post to be left up!
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    Ok, this is interesting to me; My MFP daily calorie limit is 1240; today's workouts burned 1175. I *did* supplement my intake (HAD to - I'm ravenous!) with a couple extra snacks (a banana, edamame and skim milk), but I'm still at a 600 calories deficit for the day.

Now I *was* excited about this deficit, felt good that I worked hard today, but now I'm concerned!
  • marindak
    marindak Posts: 168
    Options
    if you eat 1200 calories a day and burn 800 calories of that during exercise, you have only really ate 400 calories for the day. that is starvation mode! you need AT LEAST 1200 per day. it's really pretty simple if you think about it. :) hope this helps.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Ah, I forgot about the deficit done by MFP!! Thanks to the ones that helped me better understand =]
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    just be careful about eating back all your exercise calories if youre relying on the gym machines to tell you how many you have - ive recently started wearing a heart rate monitor (£25 from argos :)) and its showing when the gym says ive burnt 500calories im actually only burning 300-350 :s
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    if you eat 1200 calories a day and burn 800 calories of that during exercise, you have only really ate 400 calories for the day. that is starvation mode! you need AT LEAST 1200 per day. it's really pretty simple if you think about it. :) hope this helps.

Yeah, it's simple enough, it's just hard for me to not think to myself "Well if only eating 1200 calories is GOOD, then only eating 800 calories is BETTER." lol

Thank you!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    bump