Seasonal Affective Disorder

Options
usmcmp
usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
While some people look forward to fall many of us dread the changing of the seasons. It's not the cold weather that we dread, it's the seasonal depression that sets in from fall to spring. I've suffered from SAD since I was very young. Only in the last few years have I found ways to boost my mood without prescription medication. I thought I would share some of these with you and see what works for others.

1. Exercise! Lifting weights leaves me feeling good long after the session is over. It also helps with those few extra pounds I tend to gain over the holidays and regulates my appetite better.
2. Creatine. There have been clinical trials that have shown creatine helps improve depression, especially in women. We can get creatine from food, but I just add a scoop of a creatine supplement (which are fairly cheap) to my coffee in the morning.
3. Vitamin D. My Vitamin D levels tend to be very low, even during the summer. Taking a supplement for it takes the edge off of the depressed feelings.
4. Light therapy. I used to use a tanning bed to get light exposure during the winter, but I've switched to a desk top lamp. A few minutes in the morning helps how I feel the rest of the day.

Anyone else have things that work for them?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from this... exercise definitely helps. Hopefully this winter won't be like last winter.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I too suffer from this... exercise definitely helps. Hopefully this winter won't be like last winter.

I did okay last winter, but the winter before was ROUGH.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    bump

and bookmarked, thanks as always:flowerforyou:

ETA: I take a vitamin D supplement as well and try to catch as many rays as possible when the sun is scarce.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Bumping for tips. I wasn't too bad last winter but for some reason I feel like this winter's going to be rough.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, I'm interested to see the responses. I don't have an official SAD diagnosis but I have suspected it the past couple of years.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    While some people look forward to fall many of us dread the changing of the seasons. It's not the cold weather that we dread, it's the seasonal depression that sets in from fall to spring. I've suffered from SAD since I was very young. Only in the last few years have I found ways to boost my mood without prescription medication. I thought I would share some of these with you and see what works for others.

1. Exercise! Lifting weights leaves me feeling good long after the session is over. It also helps with those few extra pounds I tend to gain over the holidays and regulates my appetite better.
    2. Creatine. There have been clinical trials that have shown creatine helps improve depression, especially in women. We can get creatine from food, but I just add a scoop of a creatine supplement (which are fairly cheap) to my coffee in the morning.
    3. Vitamin D. My Vitamin D levels tend to be very low, even during the summer. Taking a supplement for it takes the edge off of the depressed feelings.
    4. Light therapy. I used to use a tanning bed to get light exposure during the winter, but I've switched to a desk top lamp. A few minutes in the morning helps how I feel the rest of the day.

All of these. I used to do the tanning bed for light exposure too.

Above all I've found that just staying active/involved helps tremendously. Everyone needs those lazy days on the couch every once in a while but I tend to stay more motivated and happy when I'm active. Sometimes thats as simple as taking on an indoor project or baking cookies with my daughter.
  • usmcmp
    Options

All of these. I used to do the tanning bed for light exposure too.

Above all I've found that just staying active/involved helps tremendously. Everyone needs those lazy days on the couch every once in a while but I tend to stay more motivated and happy when I'm active. Sometimes thats as simple as taking on an indoor project or baking cookies with my daughter.

YES! Just having something to do helps. If I spend most of my days stuck to the couch it is much worse. Even baking and cleaning help. I don't need to spring clean anymore because I deep clean in winter.
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    bump,
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I too am bumping this to keep it. Thank you for sharing. :)
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Think about investing in a lamp specifically for these problems if you find they help. Mine cost about $90 on Amazon, but it's worth it. And it's less likely to give you cancer than a tanning bed and more likely to give you results than a regular lamp.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Both my husband and I go through this in the winter. Thanks for the tips!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Think about investing in a lamp specifically for these problems if you find they help. Mine cost about $90 on Amazon, but it's worth it. And it's less likely to give you cancer than a tanning bed and more likely to give you results than a regular lamp.

I already mentioned that. Mine was $40 on Amazon.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I suffer from it quite badly to. Last christmas was an awful time for me, just sat there feeling sorry for myself at the work xmas party before leaving at the first opportunity.

Hopefully my weight loss and anti-depressants will change that this year.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I suffer from this along with PTSD.. Fall/Winter triggers a lot of things for me.
    Thank you for posting this. As I get back on track from after my surgery, I will keep this in mind and hopefully have an easier go of it this season.
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I sometimes think I might have this, but I don't think it is pervasive for me.

I really hate winter! I just hate it. It's only redeeming value for me is the holiday season. When January rolls around and the ground is wet and the air is cold (live in the south) and everything is just dead around me... I just feel so empty... and life seems so dreary.

But I carry on because I know it's only temporary. So I think I get through it pretty well without help... but I definitely understand where you are coming from.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Opening all my curtains/blinds when I was home during daylight helped last year. Vitamin d supplements and getting a good nights sleep helped, too. I've moved out of the Midwest to California this year and I'm really hoping that helps, but obviously that isn't feasible for everyone!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Washington! The gym definitely helps!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I've suffered with this for years, but last year was really bad for me. Exercise had always been sufficient before, but I added Vitamin D and I use a goLite for 15 a day at work. It seemed to help. Unfortunately there are other factors right now that require medication, so I'm just waiting to see how all of this is affected by the SAD...
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

I have this also, and exercise has always been my go to. I had no idea about creatine usage, thanks for the info!