Wild blackberries

Options
Near where I live there are tons of blackberries. I'm desperately trying to loose weight, how many is too much?.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    pick them
    take them home
    use a scale and figure out how many you are eating.
  • ianjohnward
    Options
    I've picked half a kilo, I usually stick a dozen or so in some yoghurt but would love more. My dad will have some to make a crumble.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    grabs coat, leaves house to go pick blackberries.......

ps. the concept of cultivated blackberries as opposed to wold has always confused me...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've picked half a kilo, I usually stick a dozen or so in some yoghurt but would love more. My dad will have some to make a crumble.

Good. Now every time you eat some, weigh them out and add them to your food diary. Eat less calories than you burn (figure that out with MFP calculator to start) and you'll lose weight!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend mostly on what else you are eating. Blackberries are pretty low calorie.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    They're pretty low cal, so eat them all. I do.
    Seriously though, take the advice given here and weigh and log everything you eat.
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    They don't have a lot of calories. But they're quite high in sugar.

Of course, you could make them into jam which lets you eat them more slowly.

Or, you could make them into wine. Blackberry wine is absolutely gorgeous. Freeze them first, it breaks them down.

I know both of those have higher calorific content than the fruit, but you can enjoy them all year round that way, so you can eat or drink a little bit of something you like whatever time of year it is. The blackberries won't be here much longer.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Freeze them, that's what I do. Then you can have them all winter long, in smoothies, baked stuff or whatever. Start picking!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

ps. the concept of cultivated blackberries as opposed to wold has always confused me...

Cultivated are easier to pick - no thorns - they're also slightly sweeter. That said - I have 4lbs of wild in my freezer - some are going in a blackberry porter this winter.
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Freeze them, that's what I do. Then you can have them all winter long, in smoothies, baked stuff or whatever. Start picking!

me too. though put them on a single layer on a baking tray in the freezer first, to keep them separated, then when they are frozen pop into a bag/storage box.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Cultivated are easier to pick - no thorns - they're also slightly sweeter. That said - I have 4lbs of wild in my freezer - some are going in a blackberry porter this winter.
    This is what I do as well...blackberry mead. Delicious. I'll have 5 gallons in the carboy as soon as my blueberry is bottled. ;)
  • ShelbysMama
    ShelbysMama Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Is there such a thing? LOL! :) I'm a blackberry addict. My grandparents have them in their yard, and I was no longer the bucket holder - need I say more. :) LOL

But on a serious note - freezing some is the best choice, that way you can always bring some out when you want them, and not let them go bad.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

This is what I do as well...blackberry mead. Delicious. I'll have 5 gallons in the carboy as soon as my blueberry is bottled. ;)

Nice! I made blueberry mead a couple of years ago - but it didn't age very well.