What Asics for running?

Options
Hey y'all I am getting some new Asics as I am now running 3 - 5 times a week and am a bit sore from my crappy old shoes.

I am just wondering if any one knows which things I need.
At the moment I experience pain in my knees, my shins, sometimes my lower back and along the outside of one foot when running. I can't work out if I am over or under pronating. Any thoughts? x

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and have them watch you run to figure out what kind of shoes you need.
  • princesshoagie
    princesshoagie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store (like Fleet Feet, not a "mall" type store like Foot Locker) and have them do an assessment. My local Fleet Feet has a treadmill set up and they have you run on it for a few minutes while they video tape you. They can then slow the footage down and watch you run in slow-mo. That way, you can definitely find out how your stride hits the ground and how you roll up to take the next stride, both are important! They will also look at your old shoes to see the wear patterns. They do this for free, you are under no obligation to buy, but buying there would be a good idea as you can try on as many shoes as you want and take them for a test spin on the treadmill.
  • MaidenTrip
    Options
    I went to a store, Fleet Feet, where they watched me run the sidewalk in front of the store and told me that I needed shoes to correct overpronating. They said that most women overpronate. I tried on several different brands of shoes and settled on a pair of Brooks. I've also tried Asics, but the toe box on those are just too narrow for my foot. So, I'm still using Brooks. It took me a few months to figure out which shoes were most comfortable for me, so I would suggest trying more than one brand. They are made slightly different. Good shoes make all the difference when you're running.
  • usmcwifemom
    Options
    my ankles hurt SO BAD when I first started running...changed shoes, but I still ended up hardly being able to walk to the parking lot after leaving the treadmill at the gym. Finally went to the doc - naproxen works wonders! I take it before I run and have no pain.
  • bainos
    bainos Posts: 99
    Options
    I personally got some Nike+ fitsole 2 shoes and they are a god send. I get zero foot pain. I also take tylenol arthritis for my knee pain and its made me a much happier man.
  • Soccerstar19
    Options
    I use insoles from FleetFeet for soccer and track and they really help.
  • grizzlysister
    Options
    I had the same problem with pain and went to the Chiropractor. He set me up with a pair of orthotics made specifically for me. It was expensive, but I wear them daily in my patrol hiking boots, dress flat shoes or my runners (I'm a Nike fan). I had some nasty pain for the first little while (3-4 weeks) but now that I am 'straight gait', I have way less pain and joint strain. Now I don't mind walking or running as much as before......

Shoes are important, but proper gait and posture will get you there.....I'm no chiropractor, but if you are experiencing a difference from left to right side.....this could be it......

Just a suggestion ----good luck!!
  • bizybeemom
    bizybeemom Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Going to a specialized running store is the key. I found out by going to one of these stores that I need arch support to keep my ankles from collapsing when I run. They are great at assessing your needs.
  • dansmart
    dansmart Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Depends on your arches. The test is to look at your wet footprint on concrete. A full outline is flat footed. A thin band connecting toes to heal is high instep. A high instep needs a cushion shoe, like the Cumulus or Nimbus. A normal foot needs some stability, while a flat foot needs alot of stability. Try this website for more.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/shoelabshoefinder/1,,s6-240-325-329-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

-=Dan=-
  • navgal
    navgal Posts: 16
    Options
    I have a good arch (high) so I use asics nimbus 12 GRRREAT!!! I run about 7 miles multiple times in a week, great comfort and cushion!! Be sure to replace them every 6 months or so depending on how much you run, your feet will become grooved in them but they will no longer provide the support like they did in the begining, I personally suggest the NIMBUS style I have had 2 so far and I recommended them to my co-worker (foot issues) she loves them! :) Good luck!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I don't think we have Fleet Feet in NZ but I hear Smith Sports Shoes do a similar thing and are considered very good. Ok so I will go and get some advice from them! I am sick of hurting!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Depends on your arches. The test is to look at your wet footprint on concrete. A full outline is flat footed. A thin band connecting toes to heal is high instep. A high instep needs a cushion shoe, like the Cumulus or Nimbus. A normal foot needs some stability, while a flat foot needs alot of stability. Try this website for more.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/shoelabshoefinder/1,,s6-240-325-329-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

-=Dan=-

Wow thanks - I'll give this a go tonight! x
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics gel cumulus 12
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    i got columbia hiking sneakers and love them for running, my feet never get sore with those on. I tried nike reax but found them to be complete crap, to hard and not good for running at all.
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It depends whether you pronate or supernate or roll in when you run or roll out on your feet.

For instance if you pronate or roll in the best shoe is the Kayano ($239.99) however if you are looking for something a little cheaper you can also get the 2160 ($200) or the 1160 ($160). Then again if you roll out on your feet you should try the Nimbus range ($230) or a cheaper version would be the Cumulus ($180).

Running shoes are one of those things that you pay for what you get, i work in a sport store and people come in looking for a really supportive shoe as they have pains in their leg fhowever they are only willing to spend $50 bucks. I try telling them they aren't doing anything for their feet but they won't pay for a good pair.

Sorry i may have rambled a little but i hope i helped :)