Insanity post baby

Options
I'm just starting week 3 of Insanity and I haven't lost any weight yet. I still have 30 lbs to lose to get back to my pre pregnancy weight. My daughter is almost 4 months old and I've been working out and dieting like hell for the last 2.5 to 3 months and haven't had much progress (only 16 lbs so far).

I'm eating about 1600 calories a day and about 130 grams of protein. I'm 5'8 and 210 lbs currently.

I've read on other forums that I'm not eating enough. I'm going to up my calories to 2000 a day this week but I'm really scared about doing it and gaining weight I've already lost.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has input on both the calorie upping bit and how much being post partum affects my weight loss. I could use the support.

Thanks.

Replies

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    3 weeks really isn't that much time, especially 4 months pp. are you breastfeeding? If so, be careful with calorie restriction.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    16lbs in 12 weeks is decent progress to me - I say keep at it! I am on 1620/day and expecting 1lb per week loss. Make sure you are pretty strict with logging - weigh your foods, use measuring cups for liquids, and consider investing in a HRM to more closely track your calorie burn estimates - MFP is known to overestimate.

However, if you are breastfeeding, you should definitely be eating more to keep up your supply.

Keep it up! Don't get discouraged, you're doing great :)
  • beansmom1122
    beansmom1122 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I actually had a lot of trouble breast feeding and then had to go on a medication that cannot be passed to the little one. I stopped breast feeding around the same time I started working out.
  • iheidibefitt
    iheidibefitt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Try eating as much clean food as possible....fresh meats, vegetables, fruits. Try avoiding the inside aisles of the store. Read your labels for added sugars...if you can't read the word, probably not good for you. Try drinking as much water as possible. Eat things in moderation. Eat small, healthy snacks in between your healthy meals. If you go out to eat, try to modify what you order to make it as healthy as possible, or get something healthy in general. You don't have to restrict yourself to lose weight, but feeding your body betters foods WILL help you lose weight. I lost 5 lbs last week eating probably 90% clean, tracking my food, listening to my body when it was hungry, getting my recommended ounces of water and exercising. Your body has also changed since having a baby. Track your foods and workouts. Change things up, different workouts, make friends on here, get support and be social..make it fun!
  • iheidibefitt
    Options
    http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

Please don't follow this program, just print out their shopping list. It's a great tool...you may know the foods to eat but seeing them on your grocery list is very helpful, reminds you of foods you might forget.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think 1600 calories is not enough if you are doing Insanity! But 16 lbs in three months is pretty damn awesome. It took me six months to lose 20.
  • wordyroo
    wordyroo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Cut yourself and your body some slack. Pregnancy is hard on the body and how quickly it bounces back depends mostly on genetics. 16 pounds is awesome! Being sleep deprived can affect weight loss (mostly by causing cravings for sugar and carbs). Just keep doing what you're doing, but give yourself a longer timeline. It took 9 months to add the weight, it could take that long for it to go away again.

You might also have your doctor run some bloodwork. The thyroid can be negatively impacted by pregnancy in 5-10% of women. With both of my kids, my levels went extremely hyper right after delivery. With my son, it swung back extremely hypo around 5 months postpartum. I'm 5 months pp right now with my daughter and I'll have my levels checked soon. I was actually gaining weight while dealing with hyperthyroid levels because I was famished all the time and ate like there was no tomorrow.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well you are losing at a good rate now. Increasing calories will eliminate or get rid of your weight loss. Do you use a food scale?
  • iheidibefitt
    Options
    Well you are losing at a good rate now. Increasing calories will eliminate or get rid of your weight loss. Do you use a food scale?

I read it as she lost 16 lbs before starting Insanity but hasn't lost any since starting it 3 weeks ago. I could be wrong.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I read it as she lost 16 lbs before starting Insanity but hasn't lost any since starting it 3 weeks ago. I could be wrong.

It's possible.. not very clear.
  • beansmom1122
    Options
    Yep. I lost 16 before insanity but nothing in the first 2 weeks. I eat really cleanly and I'm meticulous about tracking my calories. I've had blood work done and all my levels are normal except prolactin which was all on the higher end. I'm trying to be patient but with all the work I'm putting in I'm getting discouraged.
  • Lebowski14
    Options
    weight is only one of the factors to consider.
    How is your waist measuring? It is possible that you are adding muscle.

I would echo the other comments on breast feeding though. You need more calories than your non post partum BMR when you are lactating.

But if you're not breast feeding, then go figure out your BMR: http://www.globalrph.com/schofield_equation_bmr.htm

That web page has some good information about how much you *can* eat and still lose. And of course, MFP is a great way to track what you're eating and how many calories you're getting.

Bottom line (assuming you are somewhat metabolically normal): If the calories coming in are less than the calories going out, you will lose weight. Some of it will be fat. Some will be muscle. To protect your muscle, you need protein and resistance training.

But hey, you're 16 pounds down post pregnancy. That's AWESOME! :-)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Yep. I lost 16 before insanity but nothing in the first 2 weeks. I eat really cleanly and I'm meticulous about tracking my calories. I've had blood work done and all my levels are normal except prolactin which was all on the higher end. I'm trying to be patient but with all the work I'm putting in I'm getting discouraged.

Ok, but do you use a food scale and can you open your food diary. Below link to open it.

www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • psuLemon
    Options
    weight is only one of the factors to consider.
    How is your waist measuring? It is possible that you are adding muscle.

I would echo the other comments on breast feeding though. You need more calories than your non post partum BMR when you are lactating.

But if you're not breast feeding, then go figure out your BMR: http://www.globalrph.com/schofield_equation_bmr.htm

That web page has some good information about how much you *can* eat and still lose. And of course, MFP is a great way to track what you're eating and how many calories you're getting.

Bottom line (assuming you are somewhat metabolically normal): If the calories coming in are less than the calories going out, you will lose weight. Some of it will be fat. Some will be muscle. To protect your muscle, you need protein and resistance training.

But hey, you're 16 pounds down post pregnancy. That's AWESOME! :-)

It's not muscle. The OP is doing a cardio program with a little body resistance. She isn't compound lifting or providing progressive overload. Which makes it almost impossible to gain muscle.
  • beansmom1122
    Options
    I opened my diary. I don't use a food scale but outside of meats I prepare, I wouldn't need it, I don't think.
  • beansmom1122
    Options
    Is water retention due to a new rigorous program part of the problem?

I'm just scared I'm tanking my metabolism somehow.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Insanity is a 60 day + 1 week program. Give it some time. I also got sucked in by the infomercial and am about to start my second week. I tried not to get too disappointed by the (only) 1lb loss, but I did lose a couple of inches. If you're sure you're tracking your food correctly and eating the appropriate amount of calories, then give it a month, hell give it the entire 60 days, if you're not satisfied, then you can return it.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I opened my diary. I don't use a food scale but outside of meats I prepare, I wouldn't need it, I don't think.
    A food scale is the main tool to be accurate. In fact, studies have suggested the average person underestimate calories as much as 400, so you may think you are eating 1600 but it could be closer to 2000. And since they are only $20, it would be invaluable to get one and use it. Between that and logging daily, it will ensure you are accurate. That would be my first recommendation.

Yes, it is not uncommon for those new to an aggressive workout routine to retain water. Essentially, your body stores fluids to help aid repair muscles. And you will not tank your metabolism. With that said, your metabolic rate will naturally slow down over the period of time your diet. Doing a routine focused on resistance training and eating higher levels of protein can help sustain it, but it's a natural process to lose some lean body mass during weight loss. And it's fine because a body that is 150 lbs doesn't need as much muscle as a body that is 210 lbs.

And lastly, take into consideration that you are a women, so your will have natural weight fluctuations, especially if the TOM is approaching. It is important to look at weight loss over an extend period of time, 4 to 8 weeks. This will help mitigate some natural fluctuations.
  • beansmom1122
    Options
    A food scale is the main tool to be accurate. In fact, studies have suggested the average person underestimate calories as much as 400, so you may think you are eating 1600 but it could be closer to 2000. And since they are only $20, it would be invaluable to get one and use it. Between that and logging daily, it will ensure you are accurate. That would be my first recommendation.

Yes, it is not uncommon for those new to an aggressive workout routine to retain water. Essentially, your body stores fluids to help aid repair muscles. And you will not tank your metabolism. With that said, your metabolic rate will naturally slow down over the period of time your diet. Doing a routine focused on resistance training and eating higher levels of protein can help sustain it, but it's a natural process to lose some lean body mass during weight loss. And it's fine because a body that is 150 lbs doesn't need as much muscle as a body that is 210 lbs.

And lastly, take into consideration that you are a women, so your will have natural weight fluctuations, especially if the TOM is approaching. It is important to look at weight loss over an extend period of time, 4 to 8 weeks. This will help mitigate some natural fluctuations.

Thank you! I just ordered a scale online. I'll make sure to weigh everything. I'll also switch to weighing in once a month. Maybe that will make me calm down.