Making Big Changes (alcohol)

Options
Hey all,

I wanted to keep this short and sweet but could use some help with something I'm facing currently.
I would say that I'm moderately active (don't log much mostly use fitbit and things like that lately) and I mostly eat fruits, veggies, and whole grains...

But lately I've been having an issue giving up red wine. It relaxes me (I'm a student working part time and going to school full time) and I have a bit of an insomnia problem which wine greatly assists with. It's the only thing I can point out in my life (other than stress which also has lead to weight gain ) that I can attribute as a weakness. It's become somewhat of a habit, a way to wind down after a long day, and I feel like it's one of the last big changes I could make towards weight loss.

I'm curious to hear other experiences and advice you may have!

Thanks so much!!

Replies

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    My advice is; If you can't give up alcohol, you're an alcoholic.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You say you don't really track what you're eating / drinking so I would start doing that so you can see exactly how many calories you are consuming - get a food scale and make sure you log the wine. Also could you try and have a few days off drinking wine and try and fine an alternative - chamomile tea or something. I feel like ive been over doing it a bit on the wine as well so i know where you're coming from, going to try and limit it to Friday / Saturday
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    My advice is; If you can't give up alcohol, you're an alcoholic.

Ouch a bit harsh but yeah if you're worried that you can't not drink maybe go see your Dr
  • DeliVibes
    DeliVibes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My experience:
    I'm also struggling with fitting alcohol into my healthy lifestyle. I'm a student and I love to go out and drink a few nights a week. This summer especially I drank more than I usually do and I was drinking really sugary drinks and it's definitely one of the causes of my sudden weight gain.

I feel like I definitely can't cut alcohol out altogether so I've decided I'm going to try consume less alcohol on individual nights and start using mixers that have less sugar. I'm still researching what will be my best options.

My advice for you:
    Maybe try to stop buying red wine so therefore it's not accessable to you at night time when you're going to bed?
    There are so many alternatives you can look into to help with insomnia; herbal medicines, meditation etc.

Breaking habits it's always easier said than done. I have a history of habitual binge eating - willpower and distracting myself with alternatives has worked best for me at times.

Good luck!
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I say include wine in your calories. Add a 100 calorie burn so you can have it. I have struggled with sleep issues my entire life; in my case alcohol didn't work for sleep. If it aids your sleep I think that is good. I really can't think of anything more healthy for a student than sleeping. You will do better on you tests and you will cope better with stress if you sleep.

Personally, I take Benadryl- just one tablet- maybe not once a night- but, often. My MD has no problem with it.

Having said above, I am assuming it is just one 5oz glass; if it is more than that or more than one glass then that is an entirely different story-- only you know the answer to this. If you have a problem with alcohol you should seek professional help.
  • Wine has a lot of sugar in it. I had a diet doctor tell me that if I was going to drink, it's best to drink a shot of hard liquor because of the way it metabolizes. Best bet is rum and diet coke. That can work for me; however, if I drink more than one then my defenses about food go way down and I just want to eat.
  • NetflixAndChocolate
    Options
    I have a similar issue, therapy helped :)
  • cecesquats
    cecesquats Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    find something else to help you wind down. try tea. take a walk. do yoga.
  • fcmonkey50
    Options
    Other posts emphasized the health risks and calorie counting and I agree there.

I had a similar dilemma and I still like a drink, especially before bed.
    Once I started losing weight, that motivation overcame the nightly drink(s) and really made a difference in my progress. I'll still drink a few on a weekend and use that as my cheat meal (not day or bender).

Vodka, has about 70 calories, where red wine has 125 (with sugars), so a switch may help...cut with water if don't care for the booze.

When the liver processes alcohol, it drops everything else, so your body will store fat while the alcohol metabolizes. Not good for weight loss.

The best solution is to give it up of course, but there is more to life so I suggest working it in your diet where you can still maintain progress. Best of luck.
    Cheers
  • EmilyPersephone
    Options
    Personally, I would recommend you try logging calories, and if you would like to drink, to plan your diet for the day around that. Drinking can add up to many empty calories. When I drink, it's a straight shot of tequila or rum, or a glass of SkinnyGirl in my flavor of choice, but even those shots without the mixers can add up quick. So what I do is plan my days food intake ahead of time, to make sure I don't go overboard with the calories, but also get the right amount of nutrition for the day. I will also make sure to do some extra cardio the next day. I even have this little plan cleared with my doctors (I have stomach and GI conditions so I consult with my doctors frequently regarding my nutrition and such) and while they would rather me just not drink at all, they agreed that following this plan, and limiting it to once (maybe twice but preferably not) a week shouldn't hurt my health progress.

I am also in the same boat as you in regards to the insomnia, and I recommend seeing a therapist about it, It's seriously done wonders for me!!!
  • Sweet_Lady_4
    Sweet_Lady_4 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you for all of the advice! I appreciate it a lot! I agree with many of the posts suggesting I start logging more. That way if it means that much to me to have that glass of wine then I will find a way to make it work. I like that approach more, where my choices are not based on of a deprivation basis, but more about finding a balance.

I drink red wine and usually keep it down to about two glasses a night, over the span of a couple of hours or so. I always believed that it had certain benefits to me but I'm very aware that any more than two glasses a night is working heavily against me instead.

I guess it's become like a trigger to my body that once that glass is poured and I have a first sip, that it's time to unwind. It's my "me time" and instead of my mind reeling about school and work, I think about the things I want to think about. Actually it's more like "me and a close friend time," and it's easier for me to say, "hey let's have a glass of wine and watch a TV episode on Netflix" than it is to convince my friends to do yoga or meditate with me, haha. Like I said in my original post, I'm a very busy student and am ALWAYS working on something, and find it hard to slow my mind down at night, even though I stay away from caffeine except for my daily coffee (with truvia and soymilk :D) which i also can't give up, haha.

One thing I may try again is I used to dilute the wine using seltzer water, making a sort of wine spritzer.
  • lsecula
    lsecula Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I take benadryl at night (I saw another poster mention that as well). I sometimes will drink a beer, but I account for it and budget my calories accordingly. Best of luck!
  • sclakegirl67
    Options
    Moderation. If it's a glass or two of wine, count the calories, and be done with it. I wouldn't stress over it.
  • Sweet_Lady_4
    Sweet_Lady_4 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Another thing I wanted to add-- I did talk to my doctor at the University about my weight gain. I went in for my annual stuff and got on the scale and saw a number I've never seen before and was very open and distraught about it.

Every doctor I talk to just shrugs me off saying that Im still "in a healthy range" but I just don't feel like myself! I look at clothes before putting them on and I'm like "no way that's gonna fit me, this is wayy too big!" --and it fits. :(
    My most recent doctor just kind of laughed and blamed it on how stressful school is and said (I'm 5'2) "well honey we're petite, and 5 lbs on us looks like 15. Just try to do things like taking the stairs more often you'll be fine."
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    The notion that a drink before bed will help you sleep is wrong. It actually disrupts REM sleep.

http://www.mdhil.com/does-alcohol-help-you-sleep-better/

If you think you can't stop, I would suggest you try stopping - even for a week. If it's impossible for you to go a week without drinking, you may have a problem you need to address.

If you have a hard time relaxing without your wine, explore some other options. Exercise, meditation, painting, writing, reading a book... even if you don't want to quit drinking all together, it's always nice to have more than one tool in your toolbox.

If you have a hard time turning your brain off at night, I can assure you that you can train yourself to do so. I personally have every episode of Law & Order and go to sleep with Lenny Brisco on a regular basis. Closing my eyes and listening to that show does the trick every time.

I also take OTC benedryl and ibuprofen when I can't sleep.
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    Check out the threads in the group: You Booze You Snooze. You will find allies and perspective.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dr but addiction is defined as the inability to stop behavior despite negative consequences... so I guess you have to ask yourself honestly if your drinking is at the cause of negative consequences, like stalled weight loss. But I know many people continue to enjoy alcoholic drinks simply by budgeting for them in their calories. Are you getting sufficient nutrition, i.e. are your calories after alcohol is accounted for allowing you to eat enough real food? If yes, and there aren't other negative consequences to consider, I personally wouldn't worry too much about it... but it's something you need to evaluate for yourself. Maybe you can find other ways to relax & unwind, too?
  • goodwinnumbers
    Options
    I've had a hard time with this also. I started drinking red wine because of insomnia as well & after 20 years or so, I find I drink too much, too often. I have struggled with the question of alcoholism, & whenever I seriously consider this as a possibility, I seem to have no trouble stopping. My other go-to is sleepytime tea - a couple of cups before bed & it has the same relaxing effect. Also - hot bath & every now & then an over the counter sleep aid.
    Add me - I'm happy to help keep you accountable! Lord knows I need it as well!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Enjoying drinking in moderation (a glass a night is fine for most people) while accounting for it in your calories is A-OK.

Feeling dependent on drinking (even moderately) to the point where you can't stop is a problem.

Only you know where on the spectrum you fall. If its the first, then just work it into your daily calories. If it's the second, please seek help.