Considering trying out a lifting programme

Options
Right, I've seen a lot of advice floating around that lifting is a good thing to preserve muscle while you're losing weight. This sounds good to me. I already walk and cycle a fair bit, but could do with adding something else now my youngest is starting school.
I've got a copy of new rules of lifting for women and I'm also looking at Stronglifts 5x5.
The latter looks a lot simpler, which I like, but maybe the complexity of new rules gives better results? I have no idea. My left knee is a bit dodgy, so I'm concerned about the lunges in new rules - I used to do Bodypump before having the children, which I really liked and worked well for me, but I was advised to substitute squats for lunges because of my knees. Not much point going to my GP - they will just scratch their heads, look confused and tell me to stick with what I'm doing.
So, my plan is along these lines...
Sign up at the local easygym, as it has a large free weight area and no contract and I can pick the brains of the staff.
Start with stronglifts, with a view to subsequently doing new rules once I'm lighter and stronger.
I would have liked to do it at home as the other half has free weights gathering dust in the garage, but it seems I would need all sorts of other bits, which is a lot of investment if it doesn't suit.
Those of you with some experience with this - what would you advise?

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I have tried both and enjoy Stronglifts 5x5 for its ease & simplicity - I love that it has an app that keeps me on target. We already had some weights, but needed to buy a cage and bench - got one from Gumtree & the other from Amazon. I think once you progress through stronglifts you won't want to move to new rules.
  • CoachChris78
    CoachChris78 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would agree that starting with strong lifts is a great idea. Learn to perfect the big lifts to get all of the benefits from them before worrying about anythign else.

Also whoever told you to switch lunges in for squats was an idiot. Squats are the most important exercise you can do, if your knee is a problem just use a lighter weight. (Currenty squatting 120kgs after 2 knee surgeries and probably in need of another one)
  • CoachChris78
    Options
    I have tried both and enjoy Stronglifts 5x5 for its ease & simplicity - I love that it has an app that keeps me on target. We already had some weights, but needed to buy a cage and bench - got one from Gumtree & the other from Amazon. I think once you progress through stronglifts you won't want to move to new rules.

Stronglifts is a great starting place but it can only take you so far
  • Savlona
    Savlona Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it.
  • Savlona
    Savlona Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I

Also whoever told you to switch lunges in for squats was an idiot. Squats are the most important exercise you can do, if your knee is a problem just use a lighter weight. (Currenty squatting 120kgs after 2 knee surgeries and probably in need of another one)
    I may have worded that badly. I was told in Body Pump to do squats instead of lunges. Good to know my knee isn't a barrier to lifting :)
  • CoachChris78
    Options
    Yea that makes a lot more sense.

As a fat amn with bad knees I really hate lunges, I know I'm going to have to include them in the future but I still hate them