Fat Calipers

Options
I'm planning to start weekly measurements. Do people on MFP use fat calipers? Do you find their measurements useful and reliable?

Replies

• radimage
    Options
    I can't find one that fits around my head...
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I have measured skinfolds without calipers for a general idea of estimated BF, I do hope to buy some calipers at some point though. I do think they'd be useful if you have specific body fat and composition goals, and not just "want to be smaller" goals.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I have used a skin fold caliper before, and it's a pretty useful tool. There are different types around, and there are different ways to measure and calculate the results. Some require several readings on different sites on the body.
    You might need assistance for those, or better, have an experienced health care provider do it for you. Maybe your gym offers fitness assessments. The person who does is, should have done several before, because it takes a bit of experience to grab the correct piece of meat, so to speak...
    Google some of the online stores, and read some of the manufacturer's suggestions for correct use, and for limits of this device. A few examples: It can't be used on severely obese people; the readings will not be correct, if a person retains a lot of water....and so on....

Good luck!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Calipers are useful in the hands of those who have been trained and have a LOT of practice. It is impossible to accurately caliper yourself.
  • VKanam
    VKanam Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thanks for the helpful inputs, everyone!