NROWL vs 5x5

Options
I am an experienced lifter not a beginner so wondering is the NROWL for women would be a good routine for me or 5x5 . Any advice would be greatly appreciated don't want to start one and realize I should have done the other.:huh:

Replies

• Shtallionchick14
    Shtallionchick14 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I did almost all of NROL4W and then switched to 5x5. I prefer 5x5 because it is less complex. In the later stages of NROL4W, they start doing a bunch of variations of exercises and accessory stuff. 5x5 only have 5 different exercises. I see maybe people could get bored with 5x5, but I love SL.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If you're an experienced lifter you've tapped out linear gains and a straightforward add-weight-to-the-bar every session 5x5 routine will crush you pretty quickly.

You would need something like madcows' or 5/3/1 or another intermediate routine (there are many)

If by experienced lifter, you mean you've done some lifting but are still capable of increasing weights every session? Then a linear 5x5 routine would still be appropriate for you. I take it you're talking about something like Stronglifts? If you just mean a 5x5 in general, then there are other 5x5's with weekly progression, monthly periodisation, etc that you could move to instead.
  • sheilarosella
    sheilarosella Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for 20 years but let it go over the for about a year just here and there because of a death in the family but for the last 5 months have gotten back into it increasing weight every workout or week using routines from body builders.com. but have seen so much on here about 5x5 training and NRFOLW would like to try one just trying to decide which would be best. and NRFOLW starts with beginner routine which I am beyond. need to torch fat and get the metabolism moving now that I am older
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Coming back off a layoff, you should do any well designed beginners routine and stick with it until you've milked the linear progression (which may happen quickly in your case). Then switch onto an intermediate routine.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I completed NROL4W and loved it! It works every single part of your body. Unlike 5x5, it also works every part at different angles. For those saying it's a beginner program, that's crap. Just like all others, add more weight/resistance if you're not challenged.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    I completed NROL4W and loved it! It works every single part of your body. Unlike 5x5, it also works every part at different angles. For those saying it's a beginner program, that's crap. Just like all others, add more weight/resistance if you're not challenged.

Think you're misundersranding my use of beginner routine. Doesn't mean simple or easy - it means that it has a rapid progression that an intermediate lifter and beyond can't sustain.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    NROLFW gets very annoying after stage 2. way too complex, way too much time, requires too much goal tending of equipment if you work out in a gym. i also didnt like the fact that for some of the moves it's not strength but balance or something else that holds you back. like any of that crap you do on 1 leg, sorry am i doing a row or strengthening my ankle.

i'm also not a 100% fan of stronglifts either because the movements are pretty boring. no pullups, no cleans, etc..

and yes generally speaking you will reach a point where 5x5 isnt possible and will need to switch to something else
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    If you are experienced, why do you need to ask this question on MFP, arguably the worst site for real lifting advice?
  • jimmmer
    Options
    If you are experienced, why do you need to ask this question on MFP, arguably the worst site for real lifting advice?

Oh, I don't know.

I think Meshashesha20 and I gave pretty solid advice, don't you?

I'm not sure what your post added to the thread though...
  • sheilarosella
    Options
    [
  • sheilarosella
    Options
    I do believe I came to the right place for advice as there are many lifters and trainers here to ask. Just looking for personal experiences so your reply was completely not needed.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    I do believe I came to the right place for advice as there are many lifters and trainers here to ask. Just looking for personal experiences so your reply was completely not needed.

Lol! There's always one...

Anyway,

further to my point about linear gains, there are 5x5 periodised protocols for a more advanced lifter. Check out:

http://madcow.wackyhq.com/geocities/table_of_contents_thread.htm

For madcow's analysis of Bill Starr's stuff.

There's info there for intermediate lifters and beyond on setting up and running 5x5's. Also, he provides a spreadsheet somewhere for you to plug in your numbers and see how it all shakes out for you.

There is no set-and-rep scheme that is just for beginners (or more experienced lifters). It's the progression system in effect and the volume/frequency that is key. Also the individual's recovery ability will play into how much frequency and volume you can handle, so it's really about running a routine for a while and giving it the old college try. No one type of training suits all people and trying out different reps schemes and volumes can be illuminating (even if it turns out you don't do well on it)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jimmer- if you can run the linear progression- do it. Get all you can from it- then switch to maybe Wendlers or even Greyskull.

There are a couple of off programs you might consider to- just for funsies- I ran the 20 rep squat breathing program- it's linear- but not for "beginners" it's pretty brutal- only 6 weeks. It was a good thing mentally for me- I might run again- helps push your base numbers up.
    Because people with some knowledge know they don't know everything and ask for input- I asked for input on my thread about 2 weeks ago on thoughts moving forward- I've gotten a lot of good feed back and some new doors to open to search for more input. Learned there was a new forum to hit up that itself is fairly new and I wouldn't have known had I not asked.
  • sheilarosella
    Options
    appreciate the in put will definitely check these out