HELP! I am racing in 34 days!

Options
At the end of January I was 282 pounds and sick with a cold and fever. I smoked over a pack a day and drank beer 5-6 days a week. I had plenty of issues. I decided I was done and to make a change. I have not smoked since (225 days) or drank (229 days). I changed my diet (following a paleo diet) and went from walking up our stairs at home and being winded and coughing to running. I set a goal for myself. I told myself that I was going to run a 5k and picked one on October 11th. I set my goal to medal 1st, 2nd or 3rd in my age group (30-39). I am 39 years old. I determined that I would need to be able to run a 5k in approx 20 - 24 minutes to give myself a chance. I knew this goal was pretty unreasonable when I set it but honestly that's been a big part of what has been driving me. So here I am. 34 days from my race. I have lost about 96 pounds, I have been lifting weights and working my core during the process and I can now run a 10k (I've run 6.2 miles non stop twice). I was told I should be able to run double my race distance so I trained that way. My problem is that by the time I could run 3.1 miles nonstop my 5k times were around 36 & 37:00. I have continued to train and my most recent time was 27:07. I am due for a timed run tomorrow and am pretty certain I will be able to get 26-something. I'm getting faster but I desperately need to drop 3-4 minutes off my time in the next 34 days. I know it sounds ridiculous but is there anything I can do to dramatically speed up my time in the next 34 days? HELP!?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You are doing an AWESOME job and are quite the inspiration!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just working hard, resting easy, stretching well, not getting hurt and not being disappointed with any result you get!

You've done great already, it's obvious! I still can't do 5k in less than 40 mins. Race day is different too. The worst thing you could do is hurt yourself, you know?

I know that doesn't help much... but you've set yourself a really ambitious goal.. it might be good to have a secondary goal, you know? Like coming in the top 15 racers or getting 1 min under your best time. Something like that.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, "no, not to the extreme you wish to."

Just do the best you can. Placement at races (especially age group) is uncontrollable except for the amount of effort you put in.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have been doing some sprint work at Crossfit lately, and finally getting better at it... I noticed if I use a little of my sprint form when I run I definitely go faster. Slight lean forward and my knees come up a little higher. When I do that I definitely run faster. I was able to shave 8 mins of my last run yesterday.

Also on race day I always run a bit faster.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Just realize that there are possibly many runners that have done what you have done for many years in order to try and place. If you lived in my town and entered one of our local races, that is what you would be up against.

Not belittling what great accomplishments you have done so far. Just stay consistent with what you are doing and continue to make that progress even after the race. Sign up for another 5K that happends 6 months from now and compare your progress.

Staying healthy and injury free should now be your focus from now to 34 days from now. By the way, there are a lot of great running groups here on mfp that you should join that will help you alot in your running progress.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    You've accomplished a great deal and should be very proud. Unforunately, your goal seems a little unrealistic. In a 30-39 age group, there are likely to be 30 year olds who have run TONS of 5ks and even halfs and marathons and it's unrealistic for you to expect yourself to beat them. I think setting a time goal would be your best bet, if you really want to work towards something.

I ran my first 5k in April. Before the race, I hadn't consecutively run 5k without stopping, I did intervals of run/walk/run. I went in figuring I'd run a little more and walk a little less. I ended up running the full 5k and finished in 35:04. I think the race-day atmosphere helps give you a boost too. Don't kill yourself trying to train for an unrealistic goal. Train with the thought that you will go out and do your best.

Once you finish this one, plan another one and try to beat your own record!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Congrats on how far you've come. Here are some things to think about

- don't all of a suddenly switch up your program. You're asking a lot of your body pretty suddenly, so don't try to go overboard in the last month.
    -Your time is up to you. Your placement is up to others. You could run a 22, and still come in 7th because different people showed up, or a bunch of faster people aged into the group. Just focus on what you can do.
    -At first, its easy to cut time. As you get faster, it will be harder and harder to cut minutes off that time. Run your first, get a base, then try to beat it by doing 6-8 week cycles of speed work (if you decide 5ks are your thing).
    -Race day generally makes people faster...unless you have overloaded beforehand and you're just too damn tired for your race, so remember to get some rest in as well.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    As others have said, no, you are probably not going to get that much faster in 34 days. You will get a little faster, and race-day adrenaline counts for a lot, but your goal is still probably not attainable this time.

That said, what's the hurry? You've accomplished tremendous things, and you should not view this one race as the end-all. Do the best you can this time, then sign up for another one and try to beat that time. Then do it again. If you continue to work as hard as you have over the past year, you will get better. If and when you finally get an age-group award, it will be an amazing accomplishment that will inspire you to do even more. KEEP IT UP!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    You have already accomplished so much and I know you are keyed up and very excited about your race in 34 days. Enjoy that...because this time last year, you couldn't fathom it.

I am blown away by your goal and I wish you luck! But I don't think you need it. As other said, all you can control is your time and it seems like you are already doing everything you can to get that where it should be. You can't control where you place, because who knows who else is going to show up to your race. But if you have never ran in a race before, I think you are going to surprise yourself (in a really good way).

Keep doing what you are doing, celebrate your accomplishments and do not get bogged down worrying about things you can not control. If you place, great! If not, so what?! You did it.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Ok, I actually think your chances of running 3 minutes faster than your best time are good. I ran my first 5k race in 25:31 and I had never run under 28 minutes before that. Race day adrenaline can do amazing things. However, I really would not have the expectation of placing in AG with that time. There are likely to be multiple guys running under 20 minutes. Just be proud of how far you have come and the amazing things you have done!!!!!! Keep running!!!!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    About a month ago I ran a small local 5k in under 18 mintues. I finished 5th in the 40-45 Age Group. At this point in your running you need to be focused on (1) finishing the race, (2) running the whole way, and (3) enjoying the experience. As you continue to work and get faster you can start to worry about trying to finish in xx place but right now just be proud of the work you have done and work toward the next step; it takes time to get to the top of the mountain.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Depending on the size of your 5k, a 27 min 5k could place.. It really depends who shows up. Generally speaking i run 19-20 min 5ks, and without a doubt there is at least 1 30 year old dude in front of me.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    That being said, I think do some workouts..

6x .5 miles at "goal 5k pace" ie 7:50-8:10

4x 1k @ 5k pace + 4x 200 (.12) at 7:30 pace

I like to do a lot of speed work before 5ks

Depending on how your workouts are going, I'd say do not go out faster than 8:00.. If that feels easy, clock down to 7:45 or 7:30s.. If it feels hard, well hang on for dear life.. ;-)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to find the race results from last year's race? (Assuming, of course, that this is a yearly 5k and this isn't the first year, and that it's large enough for them even to post results).
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    At the end of January I was 282 pounds and sick with a cold and fever. I smoked over a pack a day and drank beer 5-6 days a week. I had plenty of issues. I decided I was done and to make a change. I have not smoked since (225 days) or drank (229 days). I changed my diet (following a paleo diet) and went from walking up our stairs at home and being winded and coughing to running. I set a goal for myself. I told myself that I was going to run a 5k and picked one on October 11th. I set my goal to medal 1st, 2nd or 3rd in my age group (30-39). I am 39 years old. I determined that I would need to be able to run a 5k in approx 20 - 24 minutes to give myself a chance. I knew this goal was pretty unreasonable when I set it but honestly that's been a big part of what has been driving me. So here I am. 34 days from my race. I have lost about 96 pounds, I have been lifting weights and working my core during the process and I can now run a 10k (I've run 6.2 miles non stop twice). I was told I should be able to run double my race distance so I trained that way. My problem is that by the time I could run 3.1 miles nonstop my 5k times were around 36 & 37:00. I have continued to train and my most recent time was 27:07. I am due for a timed run tomorrow and am pretty certain I will be able to get 26-something. I'm getting faster but I desperately need to drop 3-4 minutes off my time in the next 34 days. I know it sounds ridiculous but is there anything I can do to dramatically speed up my time in the next 34 days? HELP!?

Congrats on youre loss of 96 pounds. There is one rule in racing as a runner or a cyclist. That is power to weight ratio. Once we train and face up to our own individual genetic limitations, the only way to improve is through running at our lowest possible ideal racing weight. So at your current 186 pounds, you will have to set realistic expectations and run the best you can for your current weight. There is no way you will be able to compete against 115 - 165 pound runners as they have the edge because their power to weight ratio is much better than your current ratio most likely is. So the goal of a podium spot must be realistic based on the competition.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Why do people do this to themselves?
  • crzdirector
    crzdirector Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Dude I would kill for a 27min 5k...I'm killing myself to get to 30 min. I wish I had some great advice; but I got nothing. Good luck and great job
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I desperately need to drop 3-4 minutes off my time in the next 34 days.

No, you don't need to drop 3-4 minutes off your time in the next 34 days.

You desperately want to do it. That's a key difference.

We don't get everything we want, in the timeframe we want it. It's the human condition.

It's a shame that your drive to hit some completely arbitrary goal has caused you to miss a full appreciation of what you have done so far and the things you have right now. Which are pretty good, eh?

(Oh, and to answer your question... no, there's probably nothing you can do at this point. Sorry. You could just do some hardcore speed-training, combined with increasing your mileage. But there's no guarantee that would work... and your risk of injury would skyrocket. Not advised!)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Keep training by running longer runs. Train on hills if possible but listen to your body. Don't do something that will hurt yourself. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • Jarrod4275
    Options
    I got 3rd place in my age group and 7th overall!! I did it! I got a medal and ran it in 24:45 :)