Over Eatting At Dinner

Options
So I am new to the whole dieting thing. I've been doing well lately. I've been eatting smaller portions and balanced meals, but when it comes to dinner I tend to over eat. Is there any suggestions that anyone has for me? I want to diet, but I dont want to starve myself doing it.

Thanks.

Replies

• t1981
    t1981 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I find myself having the same problem. I try to use a smaller plate, which helps a little. Also I preplan my dinner and log it on here before I eat, and it helps to know exactly how much I can have. Its still a struggle though, and I'm hoping others have better advice!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I started eating from smaller plates to trick myself.... it might help. I also divvy my portions away from the table so it's a bit of a chore to get seconds.
  • DaniEss
    DaniEss Posts: 27
    Options
    i have the same problem a lot of times. lately i have taken a small/regular portion, and then put away the food completely so i am less likely to get up and refill my plate. when i am done with that much i will drink some water and sit for a minute. the majority of the time i do not even feel as hungry after doing that. that way i am still satisfied and dont feel like im starving myself.
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I also started using smaller plates, planning dinner ahead. Its been working for me
  • forttc
    forttc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to have a big dinner , I'll try to keep my morning and lunch meals light so I'll have more calories to use at dinner.. I've been keeping track of calories and measure my food at all meals to keep within my limit. I like to look at the success stories to help keep me motivated. Good luck.
  • chaugberg
    chaugberg Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I eat a larger quantity before dinner and spread it throughout the day, for example healthy low cal snacks in between meal times. Also, drink A LOT of water especially before dinner. It fills you up so you'll eat less.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    When I make dinner I only make what's going to be eaten. If I'm on my own, then I make a single serving/only enough for me. When I cook for the hubby and I, I only make just enough for two servings. And since he has more calories than me most nights, a lot of times I even make the same thing in two separate pans so I know exactly how much of every ingredient is in both mine and his dish with estimating about amounts after serving.
  • Talieowl
    Talieowl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think what you eat earlier in the day makes a lot of difference when it comes to how hungry you are at dinner. Try eating more slowly-digested fiber at lunch (brown rice, wheatberries, quinoa, oats). Then, before you make dinner eat a 100 calorie portion of soup or a high-fiber snack (remember to count this) and drink two cups of water (16 oz.) That will take the edge off and you won't be ravenous when you sit down to dinner. I do great when I remember to do this.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your meals are balanced throughout the day. And make sure you are eating about every 3 hours. I noticed when I do this, I am not nearly as hungry during dinner. So when I start to feel like I'm not hungry anymore I quit eating and still feel satisfied.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Two suggestions. First... Slow down. The slower you eat, the more chance there is that your body can tell your mind that you've had enough. Second... Wait a minumum of 5 minutes after your last swallow before you get up for seconds. Reason = See suggestion #1. If after waiting you're still hungry and have the calories... Help yourself, but just make sure it's something healthy ;-)
  • portion
    Options
    Hi there, I think one way you can manage that is by including foods you really like in the meal, but be wary of the portion too. That way:smile: , you'll feel satisfied and happy because you stayed within your daily calorie limit.
  • iamshardenicole88
    Options
    Thank You everyone. You guys have had a lot of good suggestions. I think drinking water before a meal will help me out a lot. I really appreciate your feedback. It makes me feel better knowing that I'm not the only one who does it.