Female who WANTS to get a little bulky?

Options
I see tons of posts about women being afraid that if they lift more than a pink 5lb weight they will explode into a she-hulk overnight, and tons of posts and articles about how its impossible for that to happen, that "women can't get bulky, they just get a toned figure". Which is nice and all, but I personally want to look athletic, maybe more than athletic. I want to look close to those who compete in Figure, or maybe between Figure and Physique. Which to me isn't too bulky to me, its just right. I was wondering if it is possible to reach that sort of fitness naturally, without steroids? I currently am bulking and lift around 6 hours a week, what would it take to reach that if it is possible? I'm willing to put my all into it, its something I want a lot, and have looked up to strong women since I was a kid. Could maybe some of you tell me how you started, and your stories to reach you're figure? Thanks!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Yes- it's possibly to reach that naturally and without taking extra things.

But it's a LOT of work- usually will take you at least a year to get a satisfactory look- then another round or two to get what you really want.

You're going to bulk-then have to cut body fat to look defined.

Totally do-able.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'd also mention that it's going to be easier if you are following a well defined lifting program with progressive resistance. A lot of people don't have the experience to write an effective lifting program.
  • ishkur
    ishkur Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes- it's possibly to reach that naturally and without taking extra things.

But it's a LOT of work- usually will take you at least a year to get a satisfactory look- then another round or two to get what you really want.

You're going to bulk-then have to cut body fat to look defined.

Totally do-able.

Thank you for reassuring me. I've read so many articles that made me feel like it would never happen. I'm ready to do the work.
  • ishkur
    ishkur Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'd also mention that it's going to be easier if you are following a well defined lifting program with progressive resistance. A lot of people don't have the experience to write an effective lifting program.

Could you link me to any programs you know that have had high success rate? I'm currently doing my own routine, and I'm getting good results, but I want the best. Thank you.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible. But takes super strict nutrition and a hellavu lot of strength training.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Could you link me to any programs you know that have had high success rate? I'm currently doing my own routine, and I'm getting good results, but I want the best. Thank you.

any program that's progressive will be good- and any program you'll do.

The which one is largely irrelevant- building a really solid base of STRENGTH before really hammaring for size is wise (Remeber Arnold started young with Oly lifting before switching to body building)

We often suggest something like strong lifts- starting strength- new rules of lifting- this will just get you strong- and you can really pack on some size and then go for definition later.

You don't have to do it that way- but it's a good way to go- gives you something to work with.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

The which one is largely irrelevant- building a really solid base of STRENGTH before really hammaring for size is wise (Remeber Arnold started young with Oly lifting before switching to body building)

We often suggest something like strong lifts- starting strength- new rules of lifting- this will just get you strong- and you can really pack on some size and then go for definition later.

You don't have to do it that way- but it's a good way to go- gives you something to work with.

In all honesty, if she really wants to look like that, she needs to shell out some money for a qualified (not just certified) personal trainer who has experience in training figure competitors.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Theres a woman on her that has a blog, i cant remember her user name ,the post i first saw her on was like fluffy mom to fitness something. She had her whole routine on it. I can tell you,it aint for sissys. But she has an incredible body and competes. I was specifically looking at her leg routine and wow she is doing the work. I also remember that she doesnt follow a set plan other than the major compound lifts. Maybe someone else remembers it. Im willing to do the weight work but cant do the nutrition right, guess i just dont want it bad enough.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

This. I started with strong lifts and am now doing strong curves (glute centralized). Granted, I have a lot of weight to lose, and I don't really want to be a body competitor (nor necessarily have that body; depends on how much will power I end up having). The main thing is that your program is progressive. You always want to make more progress whether you are adding more reps, more weight, or more difficulty to the exercise. Sine you are looking to increase mass, I'd focus on adding more weight as the progression, but that is not the only way.

Also, the programs mentioned are focused on compound lifts which give you "more bang for your buck". You can spend less time in the gym why still accomplishing a lot. This does not mean that you can't get the size and body you want with isolation work, but you will be spending lots of time in the gym. There are many ways to skin a cat; find what works for you.

I agree that if you are wanting to be a body competitor, then you might want to get a specialized trainer. If you just like that body type but aren't looking to spend that much money, I start with a general strength program. As you gain more experience with how the exercises affect your body and look you can add in more accessory work where you need it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to get bulky for two years. I LOOK bulkier at the moment because I'm carrying 23% body fat, but I won't look as bulky when I cut and get my abs back. I look a lot bigger when I flex than when I walk around like normal.
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have just started my first proper bulk too. I want to get bigger and am looking forward to it too. I'm very early days (4 weeks) and goin until January for now to see how I get on. It's not long but will reassess when I get there
  • mangogirl272727
    mangogirl272727 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just took a quick look at your diary too. You're going to need A LOT more than 1800 net calories to bulk...I guarantee it.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I agree with DjinnMarie...I would not attempt something like that without having a qualified personal trainer help you. For me, I am afraid it would just become fat.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    1 - no, you don't need steroids
    2 - lift intensely enough to cause micro-tears to muscle fibers so your body rebuilds muscle, you may want to incorporate pre-workout or creatine into your workout regimen. Creatine, by the way, has a greater impact on women than it does men. Just be aware that you will also need to drink a lot more water when using creatine.
    3 - consume enough protein and amino acids to help your body rebuild muscle and gain mass
    4 - follow a strict diet if you are looking to compete (esp. in Physique)
    5 - get enough sleep to rebuild muscle
    6 - be patient, it won't happen overnight
    7 - if you can, work out with someone who does bodybuilding, you'll find it easier to stick to your routine that way (and won't face all of the questions re: what? you want to get bigger? why?)
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Finally, a chic who wants some muscles!! I'm with ya! I've been lifting heavy for just over 2 yrs now and have put on about 14 lbs of lean mass. I'm a super ectomorph; tall (5'10"), very lanky and very vascular (low body fat). It's hard for me to gain weight in general but putting on muscle has taken some very dedicated consistent work. Oh, and lots and lots of good whole foods! I lift 6 days a week and do HIIT for cardio. You certainly do NOT need steroids. I am super happy with the way my body has changed and I have EARNED ever bit of muscle of have. I love this lifestyle and I really think that's the key. You gotta love it in order to stick to it and really put he work in. It's worth it I PROMISE! Consistency, consistency, consistency! Split up you body parts and hit 'em hard. Drop sets, super sets, giant sets, do it all. Change it up but keep the intensity week after week. Above all, educate yourself on different techniques and things to try. Bodybuilding.com has info on just about everything from how to use gym equipment to different ways of hitting target muscles, etc. Have fun and kill it!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I've been trying to get bulky for two years. I LOOK bulkier at the moment because I'm carrying 23% body fat, but I won't look as bulky when I cut and get my abs back. I look a lot bigger when I flex than when I walk around like normal.

I agree with DjinnMarie...I would not attempt something like that without having a qualified personal trainer help you. For me, I am afraid it would just become fat.

two important points- USMCMP made one-
    1.) you can be big- but not really look it. I'm same same boat as her- we have a thing at my dance studio at this point called "do the thing"

And do the thing means- "hey Jo- Flex for us" because flexed Jo is way bigger looking than just walking Jo.
    It's hysterical (to me)

2.) Those fitness models do NOT walk around looking like that 365 days a year. You can get big- and really good looking without ever having to hit the uber low body fat percentage of a fitness/physique competitor.

Getting down to the low 20's in body fat should get you a pretty solid defined look- and you can easily do that on your own without a professional's help.

But- I do agree- if you really want to compete- or get to that level hire someone (although- to be fair- if you want to go that far you might as well compete)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    For me, the key was a high level of protein, and a combination of weights (started with stronglifts), HIIT and determination.
    I also did boxing workouts and circuits on top of those things. That and a series of accidental bulks, followed by cuts, lol.
    But I am not really that muscular, more on the lean side with a low bodyfat%
  • classicamber
    classicamber Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I add a supplement called "probolic-sr" twice a day when I'm in "beast mode". Lol! It helps me put on muscle weight way easier that just eating more. I've also done the Ketogenic diet for a while before. Both of those together with training helped me put on 18 lbs last year.
  • classicamber
    classicamber Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just took a quick look at your diary too. You're going to need A LOT more than 1800 net calories to bulk...I guarantee it.

Oh my, yes! I have to eat at least 2,400!