exercise with hip problems????

Options
Hi all, I have hips dysplasia, I used to run but stopped as it will only make my hips worse, other than swimming and walking which I already do, any ideas what other exercise I can do??

Would love to hear any ideas you've got :bigsmile:

Replies

• sveldridge
    sveldridge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have hip problems--not as severe as yours I think, since I can still run, with some maintenance--and I would strongly recommend yoga classes. A combination of power yoga to build strength and yin yoga to work on hip mobility has been really great for me. There are some moves that I can't do, but I just modify them as necessary. There are some pretty good free videos at www.doyogawithme.com. Good luck!
  • Jannalicious
    Jannalicious Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have a bone spur in my hip and makes it difficult to do stretching and yoga. Actually makes plain ol' walking difficult. I've found that I can and do ride my bicycle for miles and miles pain free. Yes my thighs get tired but doesn't hurt my hip. I can also go for long stints on the elliptical. I've heard others having trouble with the Elliptical but for me it's also pain free. I hope your able to find something that works well for you!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY

Try this stretch in the video above, glute, and hip flexor stretches. . . .daily. Hope this helps.
  • smirf1972
    smirf1972 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
    i'll give the daily exercises a go and look into the yoga, i'm lucky as my job is quite active, the worst for me is training days when i'm sat down for hours at a time, that's when it really hurts, I don't have room for yoga in my flat but will look into classes. :happy: