Afraid of failure

Options
Hello friends! My name is Shon, I am a 34 year old man who's been obese for life. I am currently 6'2" tall & 430 pounds. I used to weight 340 last January before I became ill with RA. Currently I am on sick leave for work and have slowed my life down quite a bit. In the interim of becoming sick, I have been placed on several mess that keep my illness in remission. There is one particular drug that is a steroid called prednisone. This little wonder pill keeps a person extremely hungry and adds pounds as well. Rhuematory arthritis is more painful with excessive weight, but is manageable with large amounts (80-100mg per day) of prednisone.
I am ready to take control of my life and health. The fear comes in because I have felt like this several times before, only to end up yo-yoing in pants size. I have never told the world my real weight, but I have a purpose for doing it now. Accountability. That will be the deciding factor in my fight against fat this time. So please feel free to friend me in order to keep me on track, because if I fail the result could be more fatal than a bump up in the waist. Thank you for reading my post!

Replies

• KatieKapow
    KatieKapow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Way to go for taking this step! I am familiar with battling obesity along side severe medical conditions. All I can say is, slow and steady will win the race. Be brave and support is out there. =)
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    Weeeeeeeeeee should be friends. I like you already. c:
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Hello. Welcome to mfp, I understand quite a bit abt the damage that pred can do ( deal with it with my patients on a daily basis. My first advice would be to get yourself some calcium supplements or increase your calcium intake to protect your bones. And it sounds like you have a goal as well which helps and will keep you motivated. And suppport on here is pretty fab ;)
  • feenixgate
    Options
    I have been on prednisone... it's great for pain but bad on the belly.

I applaud you for taking this big step of letting the world know your weight.... I just let the world know of my situation. I have learned in the long run that it is painful to take this leap... but it is the start of healing (that is why I did it).

I suffer from a long-term knee injury. I haven't been to the doctor in years since I know I now need surgery. Have you tried the exercise cycle or water aerobics? Both are easy on the joints. If you haven't check with your doctor first to make sure what exercises you can do.

I wish you the best of luck and you are welcome to add me as a friend.
  • Shuggstarr
    Options
    Thank you all for your support ( smile). I feel even more motivated to know that everyone is so welcoming. I look forward to making "IT" happen, feel free to reach out in the future to support me or have me support you.