I just started Friday... NEWBIE looking for friends on this

Options
About Me
On Aug. 2009 I lost my mother (58) unexpectly before my wedding. Since I wouldn't have either my parents (I lost dad at 16) at ceremony, we just went to court. By the end of April 2010, I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder (MDD) since I didn't allow myself to grieve (at that time, I was an inner-city elementary teacher). I took the time off from teaching to heal and in the summer my husband lost his job because of the economy. On Thanksgiving weekend 2010, I was hospitalized because of my depression. Since then, it has been a slow uphill climb... I don't want to lose this battle. I have MDD, but it is no longer a huge crutch. I am able to substitute in the schools and I continue to teach cycling (spinning) at a gym.

Why I Want To Get In Shape
My MDD caused me to stop my exercise routine, I only taught one cycling class because it was my job. I also let go of my eating habits and turned to sugary / fatty / fried foods to help me survive the day. Yes, teaching cycling mainted my 5/6 size, but I lost muscle and gained fat.

I want to return to who I was... someone who exercised for the love and benefit of it. I want to achieve the body that I know I can have. I am honestly tired of having MDD and I want to be able to focus and be me again.

My Inspirations
•to fight and conquer my MDD
•the stronger & healthier I am - the more students I can inspire to be healthy
•I want to return to doing outdoor sports (rollerblading, cycling, etc.)
•Possibly getting a kick boxing certification and a PT certificate.

Replies

• tgburkert
    Options
    Good for you! Feel free to friend me. I don't have much to lose, but also need to replace some fat with muscle. Look forward to getting to know you.
  • DoralisM
    Options
    Welcome to MFP... I'm from Miami 2 so we're neighbors. First of all wow, read your intro and I see you have great inspirations to set your goals and get back to being healthy and fit. Wow what a tough road you been on loosing your dad and then your mom! :frown: May they rest in peace. I know you can bounce back UP again with a little motivation. First step was getting on this site. U can do this mama!!! =):bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • feenixgate
    Options
    Good for you! Feel free to friend me. I don't have much to lose, but also need to replace some fat with muscle. Look forward to getting to know you.

Thank you. I just requested you. I don't have much to lose either.... but the truth is the fat will never be muscle --- so we have to get rid of it . :wink:
  • feenixgate
    Options
    Welcome to MFP... I'm from Miami 2 so we're neighbors. First of all wow, read your intro and I see you have great inspirations to set your goals and get back to being healthy and fit. Wow what a tough road you been on loosing your dad and then your mom! :frown: May they rest in peace. I know you can bounce back UP again with a little motivation. First step was getting on this site. U can do this mama!!! =):bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Thank you for the encouragement. You are welcome to add me as a friend.
  • feenixgate
    Options
    :smile:
  • angelo74
    angelo74 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've been on here for about two weeks, have lost 3 lbs because I was sick with the flu last week :( Feel free to add me this site is really cool and motivating!
  • feenixgate
    Options
    Hello! I've been on here for about two weeks, have lost 3 lbs because I was sick with the flu last week :( Feel free to add me this site is really cool and motivating!

TY - I am going to add you right now, Congrats on the baby!!!
  • LJCDuke11
    LJCDuke11 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Gosh Girl! When it rains it pours!! ...And look at you still coming out on top! ... Handling business and making those imperative steps to pick yourself up again. Watch... before you know it, you'll have so much forward momentum there won't be ANY stopping you! :flowerforyou:
  • feenixgate
    Options
    Gosh Girl! When it rains it pours!! ...And look at you still coming out on top! ... Handling business and making those imperative steps to pick yourself up again. Watch... before you know it, you'll have so much forward momentum there won't be ANY stopping you! :flowerforyou:

Thank you for the encouragement. It is hard to get the momentum going --- but you are right once it starts it is difficult to stop when you believe in yourself and you have support.