Butter or Margarine

Options
Zechariahblack
Zechariahblack Posts: 17 Member
I want to get to the bottom of this once and for all:

Butter or Margarine - which is better for you?

And go! (please cite references) :)

Replies

• ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    From a losing weight standpoint neither one is necessarily bad for you in moderation and if its fitting into your macro's. If your looking into this for medical reasons it might be better to ask a professional.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Well, if excessive saturated fats should be limited (and some may be good like coconut oil for instance), and avoiding anything hydrogenated which means trans-fats, then neither, I guess.
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the margarine used? I use Earth Balance, Smart Balance Light, and Nucoa (sp?). Love them all.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Butter
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Butter - because I know and understand how it's made.

References? You can use google just as well as me. :drinker:

Sam
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I think butter is yummy and margarine is not.

So, butter because it tastes good. And I'm ok with making decisions based solely on flavor.

However, I did come across this article last month, but who knows its veracity? https://learni.st/users/dulcie.wilcox/boards/42349-the-worst-foods-you-can-eat
  • kgwaldo1
    kgwaldo1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here is a reference from the National Institutes of Health (NIH):
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000095.htm

Hope that helps!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    If your a believe saturated fat and cholesterol are one of the causation's of heart disease, then you'll pick margarine. Personally I've done enough due diligence to know that is not true, so it's butter for me.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    BUTTER :love:
  • grandmama1945
    grandmama1945 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    BUTTER
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just the fact that I've heard Margarine is one molecule away from being plastic made me steer clear of it. Whether it is true or false.

Oh and Butter is just awesome, how can there be a choice!?
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Butter

margarine was developed to put weight on livestock

29509743.png
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Butter as a specail treat, so in limited quantities (that's my definition of "healthy")

I dont like the taste or texture of margarine - if I'm having jam or peanut butter on toast i dont see the need to add a layer of artifical fat as well.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I want to get to the bottom of this once and for all:

Butter or Margarine - which is better for you?

And go! (please cite references) :)
    Butter is natural and good for you. Maragerine is a chemical in modern times........ I eat butter sticks cause damn its good and you know its good. Think about how good butter tastes in homemade pudding!
    I can tell you that I took a nutrition class in college 10 plus years ago and found out what was in margarine it scared me.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Here is a reference from the National Institutes of Health (NIH):
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000095.htm

Hope that helps!
    This is probably what I learned in nutrition class and ended up using melted garlic for a butter subsitute. But i dont care if its a .gov or not margarine is the evil of all!!!!!! STay away from it who do you think is paying this .gov monopoly to say margarine isnt that bad? its those who make margarine! Butter is NOT bad..
  • craftytasha
    craftytasha Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Olive oil :D
  • Soapytime
    Soapytime Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just the fact that I've heard Margarine is one molecule away from being plastic made me steer clear of it. Whether it is true or false.

Oh and Butter is just awesome, how can there be a choice!?

Water is just one molecule away from hydrogen peroxide. But yeah, butter all the way. Unless I am making some boxed mac and cheese, then I go for the nasty *kitten* margarine. Oooohhhh yeah.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Butter.

I am not so interested in substitutes for real stuff, but more about moderating it when I have to.
  • 71labchick
    Options
    Definitely, butter. It is closer to origin, while marg is totally a man-made product (no judgment).
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Butter for me, I am trying to eat less processed/manufactured foods.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp