Really need some encouragement

Options
I am over weight and I have accepted that and am now trying to do something about it but I am getting no support from my family. My family are all bigger than me and therefore don't see why I need to lose weight and my boyfriend is constantly telling me I am perfect and don't need to change.
I was really motivated this morning to take control and change my life, starting with my diet but I got home and my boyfriend cooked me a massive fry up and when I tried to speak to him and explain that I want to eat healthy he got really offended. I have completely lost motivation and I am only on day 1.
:(

Replies

• my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've had to basically only eat food I prepare myself. In my case its because I ensure I'm weighing and measuring each ingredient, and I can't do that for a whole recipe my family eats some of.

Your boyfriend is being supportive and saying he cares for you exactly as you are, that's what he is supposed to say. Just thank him and do your thing. Your motivation needs to come from within you, not from your family and friends.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Good for you for trying to take control of your life. Honestly, I don't deprive myself of anything, I just watch the portion size now. I still have pizza, buffalo wings, chocolate, just not nearly as much as I used to in one sitting. My diary is always open and you are welcome to request me as a friend if you wish. Lots of luck to you.
  • ElviraMarieCerri
    ElviraMarieCerri Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The boyfriend cooked a massive fryup? Yummy! How many meals would that make in your trying-to-eat-healthy mode? Get out one less leftover containers than there are healthy meals, and divvy your portion up. Give him a big smoocheroo (or whatever pat on the head works), and put all the leftover containers in the fridge. Then sit down and sl-o-o-w-ly eat the portion you've determined will work for you. Really savor it, and tell him how good it tastes, and that you are saving the rest for when he's not there , or later in the week, or to take to work for lunch, or something like that. And then do it - when you are genuinely hungry, take out a container, nuke the food, and think sweet things about him. It's a two-fer-- good food in reasonable portions, and good feelings from his cooking it for you. (Or dispose of it out of his sight, or feed it to the pet or somebody in your family).

Since the fam is anti-support, don't put them into the position to work against you. They have their priorities, you have yours. Just work with what you can get. Ya wanna take a walk? Take a walk. The music in your earbuds is good company - you don't really need an entourage. My attitude? If I can't hear the outside, and I have my dark sunglasses on, I am in my own world for the duration of the walk.

I saw a nutritionist and she recommended a very low carb, but relatively high real-fat, real-protein diet. I'm losing on it--I feel better and I don't feel deprived. Rather I feel absolutely indulged, with real butter, half and half for my coffee, and all the meat-I care-to-eat (within reason). What did I give up? Tortillas, potatoes, and pasta, which I miss, but don't crave, since I can have the cheeses, toppings and NUTS that I love.

Good luck and remember your family - and your boyfriend - will always be there. You, however, have to give them permission to be in your head and in your mouth.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Sometimes it just takes seeing you're really serious and successful before others jump on board. You have to do what's best for you. Add me if you'd like some support from this end.
  • babsabs2011
    babsabs2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Eat some - just watch portion sizes and try to incorporate some healthier foods into other meals that you are eating :)
  • lillizl
    Options
    Thanks guys this really helped! I can't believe how nice everyone is on here without even knowing me :D!
    I did as recommended(splitting the portion up)and thankfully he didn't take offence to this and still lost 2 pounds yesterday!
    so thanks again!!
    x