Atkins - Does it work? How much did you lose on Induction?

Options
1235»

Replies

• susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Day 5 of Induction ...lost 8 lbs...think alot was water weight....am in ketosis...took me 3 days to enter ketosis and I stuck to the diet to the T.
    Just made sure I have savory proteins and available fats. My greens have been raw spinach/spring mix...tons of it. I do whip up come heavy whipping cream for dessert and have been drinking water and iced tea all day long. The caffeine doesnt seem to affect my weight loss thus far.
    Here's an acceptable and yummy side: creamed spinach. Fresh spinach sauteed in butter with cream added. Serve that with a grilled sirloin strip steak and a side spring mix salad with vinegar and a little parm. yummers! I can do this, sure can, especially when my health depends on my discipline. Phase 2 in the horizon!
  • seymourabs
    seymourabs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 6 of Induction and have gone from 235 lbs to 228.8 lbs -- since Monday! Wow! I am living on broccoli, green beans, cherry tomatoes, and spinach all wrapped in ham or chicken with delicious slices of natural cheese. Pinterest is a great resource for recipes. I've already enjoyed the eggs and broccoli muffin tin mini omelets, and this afternoon I might attempt oopsie rolls. Before starting Atkins I was on an even stricter diet that was leading to frequent binge attacks and feeling too hungry. On Atkins I just eat when I'm hungry. I'm not eating large portions of anything, just eating until I'm not hungry anymore.

When I finish induction I will start putting peanut butter on celery as snack to add a quick 5 net carbs per day. And then the week after that I will have strawberries and whipped cream as dessert. I'll probably stay there for a few weeks to see how my body adjusts after all this rapid weight loss.

I've done Atkins before in 2011 and I lost 50 lbs. Unfortunately for me, I tried the Atkins brand snack bars and I relied on them too much. I stopped counting carbs and before you know it I decided anything was better than eating the crap I was eating.

I did not gain my weight back right away. It wasn't until I stopped exercising after a car accident that most of my weight piled back on. Now that I'm doing Zumba twice a week and going on little walks every day, knowing the success I had until I got lazy and ate pre-packaged processed crap, I am pretty excited.
  • NoMoreExcuses01
    Options
    I'm on day 7 of induction and am down close to 5 lbs. Definitely some/most of that is water but who cares...I just want it off! Although I'm not hungry, I am already missing my crappy foods that I'm used to eating. I wouldn't say I'm craving them, but I do miss them. The 5 lbs lost has motivated me into sticking with it for week 2. I'm anxious to see how I finish out after the first 14 days.
  • andievi12
    Options
    I've been reading all these posts and majority of people say Atkins doesn't work but the people saying that are all going back to eating all the bad carbs. My cousin has lost almost 100 lbs and looks amazing. She slowly started introducing carbs back and has lost more weight. Honestly it's about you and your dedication to change. I'm about to start Phase 1 and I'm excited! So kudos to everyone who has found a lifestyle that works for you, that's all you need :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've been reading all these posts and majority of people say Atkins doesn't work but the people saying that are all going back to eating all the bad carbs. My cousin has lost almost 100 lbs and looks amazing. She slowly started introducing carbs back and has lost more weight. Honestly it's about you and your dedication to change. I'm about to start Phase 1 and I'm excited! So kudos to everyone who has found a lifestyle that works for you, that's all you need :)
    YUP. I'd say the majority of folks who return to MFP saying they've "fallen off the wagon" etc. went back to their old habits as well. Thus, the reason the vast majority of losers regain. Regardless of how they lose it.

I say: if low carb makes it easier for you to lose GO FOR IT. It seems like just as good an approach as any other safe diet.