Whey Protein shakes?

Options
Ok so i started working out again and boy does it feel good. But ive noticed that after my workout im starving! I have never felt this way after a workout! I do 45 mins cardio and 30 mins strength, then 15-20 in a sauna.

My mom told me to buy protein shakes and have one 40- 1 hr before and one after. She also said it will help me lose weight,

My friend always said protein shakes make you fat.

What do whey protein shakes do? Will they help me lose weight?

Replies

• 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes won't make you gain or lose weight specifically -- that's all down to a caloric deficit.

Shakes are a quick way to get in protein, but what most people don't realize is that while you need protein to help your muscles repair, carbs are actually what most people need pre/post workout because you need energy, which they provide.

If you struggle to get your protein intake, try incorporating a shake (one likely, not two) but you can easily get your pre/post workout food from normal sources too -- my personal favourite is a piece of whole grain toast with a tbsp of peanut butter and a banana.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Whey protein shakes on their own don't make you fat. Eating more calories than you burn everyday makes you fat. Why protein shakes can be helpful to get added protein if you can't physically eat enough whole food protein in a day to get the required protein you need. As far as protein timing, it's not important, just hit your protein goal by the end of the day and you're good to go.
  • Haakonson
    Options
    Protein shakes need to be counted as a snack (or a meal if you drink a few), and put in your planner, and everything will be fine: just watch the calories, as everyone has said. Personally, I have found soy protein to be best at getting rid of any cravings afterwards.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Protein helps your body rebuild muscle. It does not, by itself, make you lose weight unless you are eating fewer net calories.

Protein is good both before and after a workout. I typically will have BCAAs prior to a workout and drink whey protein shakes after. However, unless you are exercising very intensely and working to build lean muscle mass, you won't see the same results from drinking protein shakes and doing moderate cardio, for example.

PS, here is a helpful reference: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-pre-post-workout-shakes.html