Fast Food Tips

Options
Hello!! I would like to form a discussion on interesting ways we can still eat healthfully and within caloric limits while dining out in fast food restaurants. A couple of handy ideas are skipping the fries and softdrinks, choosing grilled over fried foods, and skipping the mayo or dressing. Anymore tips?? Please do share it with the rest! :) Thank you

Replies

• Skinnyville
    Options
    What a good subject. I am totally avoiding eating out to be honest as I really don't want to fail. Please keep me posted as well with any good tips x:smile:
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Now that Panera has the calories for their items right on the menu I'm horrified! I thought it was a "better" fast food choice, boy was I wrong. But there are still smart choices that can be made. I went with the "Pick 2" and got their lowfat black bean soup and the Thai Chopped Chicken Salad. Both together come in around 450. Honestly though I only ate the soup since after that I was full. .Saving the salad for today's lunch.

I'm sure that the other fast food guys have healthy choices that won't destroy your calories for the day as well. Grilled chicken sandwich, hold the mayo. Salad with low cal/low fat dressing. Will have to check it out online since I do grab lunch on busier days at these types of places.
  • lolw811
    lolw811 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    if ever me and friends drive out for a take away i never want to say no i'm on a diet as i like to keep it quiet....so we all decide what were having and i always say SUBWAY!!

i get a 6" veggy patty with lettuce and veg an a small amount of honey mustard on wheat bread. it really isnt that bad, i think its 360 cals and no one ever knows i am being good!

so my friends dont think im being boring and try and pursuade me to eat bad!!

Also slimming world said if you ever eat at a chippy always try and get plain noodles and beansprouts, or a plain omellet. These are the best takeaway things to eat. and if you want to be extra bad i replace a portion of chips for one potato fritter

:)
  • mariemarrero
    Options
    Subway is fantastic for a good lunch or even dinner. All the nutrition information is listed in the store and you can even download it from their website. There are so many choices and the food really does taste good! :bigsmile:
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I really like the classic premium grilled chicked sandwich from McDonalds, no mayo, add a little honey mustard, that's my favorite. It's around 340 calories and very filling.
  • wannalose25
    wannalose25 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had been craving fried food all day, so I saved some calories from breakfast and lunch for an order of value menu french fries from Burger King. They're 220 calories. I'm still 176 cal below my 1200/day allowance. Cutting calories doesn't have to mean total deprivation. It's all about planning and moderation. just my approach
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    My faves:

Subway
    Taco Bell- their crunchy tacos are only 170 cals each
    Wendys- I loooove their new fries with the sea salt
  • critter347
    critter347 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Great topic. Because even though as much as we try to avoid it, at somepoint we will end up going to a fast food joint, either a friend takes us or people your with stop through a drive through, etc.

Yeah, definitely avoid the fries and pops, and Subway can be a pretty good choice, as long as you don't get excessive condiments/cheese etc. and pick the right sub (veggie or a turkey on wheat) I used to work at Subway and people would come in thinking there healthy just cause its subway and they'd get like meatball subs covered in mayo (...gross i know) or a philly cheesesteak wiith handfuls and handfuls of shredded cheese, with a bag of chips, and then a diet coke! go figure.

I also work at a fast food, and when I have to eat there, i just have a grilled chicken (no breading) on a wheat bun, and a fruit cup (just a cup of cut fruits we sell) instead of fries, with a water.
  • portion
    Options
    I can relate with you! It's really hard to admit in front of others when you're on a diet... Thanks for the tip!
  • Brennabean
    Brennabean Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    chik filet chargrilled chicken sandwhich is around 270 calories and like 4 grams of fat 20-25 g of protein. and instead of fries ask for a fruit cup (the fruit cups are DELICIOUS btw) and the whole meal is around 320 calories. :) and the honey bbq sauce the sandwhich comes with actually isnt terrible for you either and is soooooooooooooo good. lol
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Go into the food database here and look up the things you can eat then write them down on a small piece of paper and put it in your wallet/purse.

That's what I did....just in case I have to stop sometime.
  • HerbieSue
    HerbieSue Posts: 288
    Options
    I love the oatmeal at Starbucks, but avoid the little dried fruit and nut packet, loads of calories and sugar! And watch out for the sugar content in those fast food fruit cups and/or yogurt. McDonald's has an oatmeal too, but beware as it it full of sugar!!!!!! I have found that sugar can put a huge stall on your weight loss efforts.

Thanks for this topic!
  • emilillymom
    Options
    When I was first losing weight, I got eat this not that and found it really helpful to making better choice when eating out.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Great topic. Because even though as much as we try to avoid it, at somepoint we will end up going to a fast food joint, either a friend takes us or people your with stop through a drive through, etc.

Yeah, definitely avoid the fries and pops, and Subway can be a pretty good choice, as long as you don't get excessive condiments/cheese etc. and pick the right sub (veggie or a turkey on wheat) I used to work at Subway and people would come in thinking there healthy just cause its subway and they'd get like meatball subs covered in mayo (...gross i know) or a philly cheesesteak wiith handfuls and handfuls of shredded cheese, with a bag of chips, and then a diet coke! go figure.

I also work at a fast food, and when I have to eat there, i just have a grilled chicken (no breading) on a wheat bun, and a fruit cup (just a cup of cut fruits we sell) instead of fries, with a water.

So, one of my friends, when we go to subway, gets the most disgusting sandwhich ever.... a footlong on italian herb and cheese.... that one combination that is like salami, ham and something else for meat, then he gets cheese on it, has it toasted, puts mayo on it, (no veggies of course), and then PUTS TWO CHOCOLATE COOKIES ON IT!!!. And he eats a whole bag of chips. Seriously. Omg. And he wonders why he gained his weight back after HCG...
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Wendy's chili is an excellent choice as far as fast food goes. The sodium isn't horrible in it either, but still high.
  • sunbeam11
    Options
    Go into the food database here and look up the things you can eat then write them down on a small piece of paper and put it in your wallet/purse.

That's what I did....just in case I have to stop sometime.

That's a great idea!

I have been avoiding dining out entirely, but that's just where I am in my journey right now. But you're right--eventually it's gonna come up.
  • scrappymel
    scrappymel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    some of my favs: chic-fil-a chargrilled and fruit salad (220 cals) or the regular grilled chicken salad (180), taco bueno crispy chicken tacos (141 each), and subway toasted turkey melt (340).
  • nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    Another option from Panera is their new recipe chicken soup. I order the cup...110 calories! Then, a whole grain baguette is 80 calories and so is a classic side salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Yum!
  • jazzer81
    Options
    I know it's not "fast" food, but I am out of town for work and was still trying to eat healthy, as I already ate Subway for lunch. Discovered Applebee's has some great options. I got the Spicy Pineapple Glazed Shrimp & Spinach. Two grilled shrimp skewers on a bed of rice with a spinach salad topped with balck bean, corn & diced cucumbers. This dinner left me stuffed and was only 360 calories. I like options without heavy sauces that instead use lots of spices, which give you the flavor without over indulging. Plus spices make me drink lots of water!
  • katerinab
    katerinab Posts: 107
    Options
    I love Subway. I usually get a 6" turkey and ham on wheat with just lettuce, onion, and a little honey mustard. Sometimes if I'm extra hungry I'll get double meat. Still filling but adds less calories than upgrading to a foot long.

Otherwise, I do find myself eating a bunch of the bacon ranch chicken salads at McDonald's. Sometimes I'll use half of the ranch packet they give (since it's full fat ranch), or if I'm at home I'll toss the ranch packet and use a fat free ranch to lower the calories some more.