Detox and 5:2 progress after 4 months

Options

Replies

• skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Does 18:6 or 20:4 IF work as well as 5:2? I think it would be easier for me to go 18 (or even 20) hours without food every day, but then get to eat as I like every evening, than to not eat much at all for two days.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    How does the fast day effect your workout? Just wondering..do you workout and then NET 600 calories?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Does 18:6 or 20:4 IF work as well as 5:2? I think it would be easier for me to go 18 (or even 20) hours without food every day, but then get to eat as I like every evening, than to not eat much at all for two days.

It depends on your goals. The way i see it is that Leangains 18:6 is more for body building as you eat every day and a complete daily fast is geared toward rapid weight loss as the more fasting days you have will produce a higher weekly deficit. Leangains has a lot of respect for ADF and said himself that his 16:8 is geared more towards sculpting. I say, if you are within 10 pounds of your goal, do 16:8. If you're over that, ADF would be optimal.
  • mikemckinlay
    mikemckinlay Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The whole point of the fast day is that you eat once and once only - take all the cals at that single time, otherwise you dont get the benefits because all you are doing is cutting down cals. The point is that the body has to sustain outside the eating point on a fast day. I lost four stones on it last year. Google Horizon: Alternate Day Fasting. Hodgie x

Sorry Hodgie but I have to agree with Pr3sario here. I did quite a bit of research before starting it and there was nothing to say that you could only eat once and once only. I spread my calories out during the day as it is the only way I can handle the calorie restriction and looking down at my 43 year old (but extremely flat!) stomach I have to say it works.

Also I found this article from the man himself:
    http://thefastdiet.co.uk/different-ways-of-managing-your-fast-day/
  • mikemckinlay
    Options

Not sure about that. I tend to keep things simple and start my restricted calorie day from when I wake up at 5.30 until the next morning. So it is like a 32 hour period with 600 calories.
  • mikemckinlay
    Options
    How does the fast day effect your workout? Just wondering..do you workout and then NET 600 calories?

Exercising with the 5:2 definitely accelerates your results. I have read in articles that you should avoid working out on your fast day but personally I haven’t found it too much of a problem. In terms of energy levels I have sometimes necked a large espresso pre-workout and have had some of my best cardio sessions.

To answer your other question, whether you do exercise on a fast day or not your food intake should still not exceed 600 calories (so in other words you are not allowed to eat back your calories burnt). I am not sure what the reason for that is but it seems to be one of the “rules” that I have read in several articles.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Well done Mike coming from another Sussex person.

I know I couldn't do the fasting 5:2 diet. I am a very grumpy hungry person and work is my worst enemy when it comes to food.

So what is next?
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Exercising with the 5:2 definitely accelerates your results. I have read in articles that you should avoid working out on your fast day but personally I haven’t found it too much of a problem. In terms of energy levels I have sometimes necked a large espresso pre-workout and have had some of my best cardio sessions.

To answer your other question, whether you do exercise on a fast day or not your food intake should still not exceed 600 calories (so in other words you are not allowed to eat back your calories burnt). I am not sure what the reason for that is but it seems to be one of the “rules” that I have read in several articles.

I would agree with this. I work out as usual and have felt no ill effects and never eat back any exercise calories. I always work out first thing in the morning so I do think this helps as I rarely feel hungry immediately when I get up. I also cycle to work every day and have always felt I cycle faster on my fast days! I do 2 meals a day - breakfast and an evening meal and find this very manageable.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Brilliant results Mike, well done!

I've been doing 5:2 since January, and just like how it makes me feel. I'm used to fast days now - yes I get a little hungry, but that's OK. I know I'll feel FANTASTIC the next day, and also know that I won't be scoffing down the contents of the fridge.

All my reasearch indicates that you can eat your 500 (female) or 600 (male) calories whatever way you like - there are SOME who theorise that a longer period without food is better for the OTHER health benefits of fasting (not necessairly any impact on weight loss), but this is just conjecture, there's not enough studies as yet.

Mimi Spencer, one of the contributors to the book, is on a webchat on Mumsnet this evening, I'll see if I can ask her about timing of meals.

What next? 6:1 for maintnenance (ie fast one day a week).
  • FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Pr3sario - you read it incorrectly then, or dont understand it at least. But whatever works for you chap. Hodgie x

I would politely suggest you re-read the theory behind it.

I said you can do what you like with the 600cals, so if you wanna eat it all at once then go ahead. Please don't presume that you know it all by telling people that they can't spread it out over a day.
  • Hodgie12345
    Hodgie12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Pr3sario - you read it incorrectly then, or dont understand it at least. But whatever works for you chap. Hodgie x

I would politely suggest you re-read the theory behind it.

I said you can do what you like with the 600cals, so if you wanna eat it all at once then go ahead. Please don't presume that you know it all by telling people that they can't spread it out over a day.

I didnt say they cant; just another illustration of your getting it 'wrong'. Nor did I presume or tell people I 'know it all'. Re-read what I actually said and try to think. Now take that bug outta your azz and get on with your dancin :-) Hodgie x
  • Jude_V
    Jude_V Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The whole point of the fast day is that you eat once and once only - take all the cals at that single time, otherwise you dont get the benefits

You really are wrong...but I guess you are just not able to admit it. The reason you have the 500 or 600 calories allowance on your 'fast' day is to make it more sustainable. It doesn't have anything to do with what or when you eat. The point is the fast itself - it's the same reason that the 16:8 or 18:6 or Intermittent fasting works...and they all do seem to work.
  • mikemckinlay
    Options
    :smile: :smile:
    Well done Mike coming from another Sussex person.

I know I couldn't do the fasting 5:2 diet. I am a very grumpy hungry person and work is my worst enemy when it comes to food.

So what is next?

I can totally sympathise with the grumpiness and I am exactly the same. In fact I used to be unable to have a civil conversation with someone before I had consumed half a ton of breakfast cereal. I also used to be unable to sit at my desk at work without eating something (or at least thinking about what I am going to eat next). There are a lot of things I have learnt during this process and there are a few tips that can minimise the pain on fast days which I would be happy to share with you.

If I can do it anyone can - feel free to add me as us Sussexians need to stick together :smile:
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I want to study this further
  • kablondy
    kablondy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well done, It's great to hear success stories. I might give this a try myself :)
  • IeshaMonica93
    Options
    I've seen so many success stories with this diet I'm gonna give it a go!

Congratulations on your results, your doing great and thanks for the motivation!

Starting this today, with today and monday being my fast days.

I wish everyone luck with the wieght loss! :D

Iesha.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Good stuff. 5:2 is the only 'diet' I have ever enjoyed. I love it for the same reasons you mention- the thought of always being 'good' and having to watch every calorie is depressing. I also do 6:2 some weeks and intend to do 6:2 for maintenance when I lose one stone. :-)

HAHA, Just wondering how one could ad another day to the week. 5:2 means 5 off the diet and 2 on the diet? Am I misunderstanding?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    5:2 means 5 days eating at maintenance, and 2 days at a reduced level.

4:3 is 4 days "normal", 3 days reduced.

6:1 is just one day of "fasting" or reduced calories per week.

Not sure what 6:2 means......:laugh:
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Good stuff. 5:2 is the only 'diet' I have ever enjoyed. I love it for the same reasons you mention- the thought of always being 'good' and having to watch every calorie is depressing. I also do 6:2 some weeks and intend to do 6:2 for maintenance when I lose one stone. :-)

HAHA, Just wondering how one could ad another day to the week. 5:2 means 5 off the diet and 2 on the diet? Am I misunderstanding?

:laugh: Typos . I intend to do 6:1 for maintenance.
  • Sadi_Kalen
    Sadi_Kalen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i'm keen to start eating this way as lowering calories is driving me nuts! i've had to slow my exercise right down due to a knee injury and i'm sure it's going to heal but my daily walks have to stop for awhile and when i do get back into it i need to ease into it without moving up to daily walks again too quickly. in the meantime my TDEE has dropped right down to just under 1700 calories per day (i'm short, 5'1") and although i've been eating 1400 calories for the last 2 months and maintaining a steady weight loss, having the injury and having to lower down to 1300 just to mitigate the loss of exercise is killing me!

i have had a few re-feeds/spikes every few weeks during plateau times to prevent my metabolism from slowing down and i managed to lose 20 lbs in the last 2 months doing this. i think i might start this way of eating because i've changed the way i eat and started making wiser choices with both food and portion sizing, so i'm sure this will work for me. spiking days (going up to maintenance calories) really has worked for me to shift out of plateaus but this 5:2 idea is starting to sound good every time i hear about it. i will get closer to being able to eat 1800-2000 calories by the time my exercise levels are back up so i really want to try this! i love food and i love eating right... i'm just scared of gaining again!

what do you guys think?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!