Do you have cheat days?

Options
Hi all,
I am new to this website and am looking to lose about 30 pounds.
I diligently calorie counted and exercised every day last week. As a treat, I decided that I would have one day (Saturday) set aside as a food cheat day. So when Saturday came around, I ate and I ate and I ate.
At the end of the day, I was so afraid and ashamed to log my calorie intake- that I didn't.
Anyway, so that brings me to my question(s).

Do any of you have a cheat day in a week when you eat whatever you want and how much ever you want? (And do you feel guilty about it?)
Also, does your cheat day coincide with your weekly rest day?

Thanks !

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    No not really I eat what I want in moderation. If I go over well I usually have enough extra from the week that it doesn't matter overly much. If I want to eat rib eye steak I will eat that steak and feel no guilt what so ever, I rarely eat enough protein as it is.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    IMO having 'cheat' days or feeling guilty for eating certain things is the exact opposite of a healthy relationship with food.

I eat more loosely on the weekends-dinners out , desserts, etc and don't work out, but it doesn't affect my efforts negatively.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    you seem to have answered your own question.
    no i dont have cheat days.
    i log everything, even the odd excess like a bag of chipppy chips. 1000 cals to my horror.
    then i make it fit my daily\ weekly goals, which normally means more exercise.
    when we reach the decision to lose weight, its not a part time job.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I don't eat what I want all day, but do indulge in a treat.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    "Do any of you have a cheat day in a week when you eat whatever you want and how much ever you want?"

Nope. I plan carefully and about once a week an evening meal takes me over my calorie allowance. It's a conscious decision though, and I feel in control and comfortable with my choices.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I don't exactly have scheduled cheat days. But once or twice a month if I am going out or have a special occasion to deal with I decide I'm just not gonna care too much for the day. Of course I still try to make low cal choices where possible but in the end I just log it and move on. Last Saturday I actually had a bad one. Ended up eating 3500 calories or so. Lot's of sodium. Ended up recording a 1lb weight gain. However if I had recorded just a day later I would have recorded a 0.8lb loss. It all depends. Thing is a lot of people take a "cheat day" as an excuse to binge. Just because it's your cheat day does NOT mean you can stuff food down your mouth like your getting ready for hibernation or something. If you can trust yourself to have a cheat day without totally jumping the shark then yeah it's not a terrible idea.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I don't have 'cheat' days at it just seems like a negative way of looking at things. To cheat means you're doing something wrong.

Each day of my week is pretty much the same. I don't deny myself any foods because I know as soon as I decide I can't have something I will want it. That may sound weak to some people but I'm just being honest with myself and I know what works for me. So for me it's anything and everything goes but in moderation. And that way I don't feel the need to go OTT and 'cheat' because I've never denied myself anything.

The only difference in my week is I rarely log on weekends.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    As many as possible.
  • dortilolma
    dortilolma Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    For the most part I find I don't need cheat days. Sure, there are days where I'm over my target but I log everything and I know how much over target I've gone.

For me it was fairly easy to wean myself of junk food - I didn't really eat that much in the first place and it has always made me feel ill. I don't like crisps, I'm not a fan of fast food (I don't even remember the last time I had a burger), there are only a few sweets, chocolate bars or biscuits that I like.

That all being said when I do want them, I eat chocolate bars, I have biscuits, I'll even have a pizza every so often. I personally don't feel restriction is beneficial in the long term, if I want something I make room for it in my daily allowance and have it. Now - this works for me but it may not work for everyone. A great deal of time and experimentation went into getting me where I am now.
  • desidieter
    Options
    I think the key to cheat days, if you're going to have them, is to not have them too often. Once a week, IMO, is too often. But of course, every person is different.

I read somewhere that Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson has massive cheat days from time to time. And by cheat days I mean, he'll down an entire pan of brownies and a bucket of fried chicken and a stack of pancakes, multiple pizzas, etc. etc. all in one day. But he only has these type of cheat days once a month or something. Granted, he's a big dude and probably eats more than the average person per day anyway, so his cheat days are going to be bigger than that of the average person.

tumblr_meijftcNTc1qg1vd7.jpg

Anyway, all that to say, I think cheat days are fine, and I personally don't bother to log my intake on those days. But I make sure my cheat days are few and far between...which is why I don't feel guilty about them. IF you're feeling guilty, you might want to consider a different method - like not having cheat days and just allowing small indulgences regularly that you can log...or wait several weeks or months before having a full out cheat day.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scheduled cheat day. I have days I know I will go over, and there is no guilt because I know one day isn't going to hurt my overall progress.

But if I did it every week I wouldn't have a deficit. I also don't feel a need to have one every week, because I make sure to include foods I love into my every day diet. I have dessert every day, I eat delicious food all the time.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    So when Saturday came around, I ate and I ate and I ate.
    At the end of the day, I was so afraid and ashamed to log my calorie intake- that I didn't.

Do any of you have a cheat day in a week when you eat whatever you want and how much ever you want? (And do you feel guilty about it?)

Lots of people have "cheat days" or loosen up over the weekend if they are strict during the week, however even then you can't just eat and eat to the point of shame. It's counterproductive. If you then don't even log what you ate then how will you adjust for it during the week?

If you can't trust yourself not to go overboard then don't do it, at least not now. Get into the habit of logging religiously first before you decide to deviate. And OWN IT, you can have more at the weekend but make sure you're accounting for it over the week.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    NO
    I eat when I'm hungry and always make room for a treat within my allotted calories. If I need something special and have to go over for some reason, I log it and move on. 'Cheating' makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.
  • nzchikky
    nzchikky Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days anymore. I tried doing it that way but found I would wake up feeling like crap and then suddenly my cheat day turns into a cheat week!. So now if I feel like some chocolate or whatever, I will eat it no matter what day of the week but in moderation and not feel guilty about it :)
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    No cheat days for me. Just eat the things I like in moderation within my calorie allowance.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I do, but I prefer to call them IIFYM (If It Fits Your Mouth) days. Never have once felt guilty about it either.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat. It implies fake, dishonesty, and other negative things to me. I do my best to practice moderation.

ETA
    I don't do "guilty pleasures" either. Guilt and pleasure don't belong in the same sentence.
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There's no need for a cheat day if you're making this a lifestyle change. I eat what I want in moderation and within calories allowed. My birthday is on Friday and I WILL be having a slice of cake and I will log it. But it's not a cheat day per say. It's still going in my log book! And I will enjoy every bite guilt free :)
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scheduled cheat day. I have days I know I will go over, and there is no guilt because I know one day isn't going to hurt my overall progress.

But if I did it every week I wouldn't have a deficit. I also don't feel a need to have one every week, because I make sure to include foods I love into my every day diet. I have dessert every day, I eat delicious food all the time.

I completely agree with you there. I might go over on a day but I wont do it everyday and when I do go over its not by hundreds!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    No not intentional cheat days. If I want something I try very hard to have enough calories to fit it in my day.
    I made apple crisp the other night. I very rarely eat ice cream but I made room to have some ice cream and apple crisp last night. I am glad I did. I don't feel deprived.
    Balance what you love as treats into your life. I think that's better than going nuts for a whole day.