Weekend Tracking

Options
Anyone have any good ideas for making it easier to track calories on the weekends? I do so well during the week, and on the weekends I don't end up tracking and I know that I eat way more that I should be eating, especially with drinking, snacking at parties and general going out and all the temptations. I try to track, but by the end of the day, I've given up or I just don't do it at all. Another big reason that I'm not tracking, is we eat out a lot on the weekends, and I have a hard time determining how many calories are in the meals we have at restaurants or friends' houses. Any help would be so appreciated!

Replies

• my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Get a Fitbit or similar tracking device that interfaces with MFP. It will track all of your daily movement without effort from you. The only things it won't track effectively are swimming, biking and weight lifting type activities. Walking and running, even in the course of just going about your life will be tracked.
  • mlittle671
    mlittle671 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too!! Especially now during football season and tailgaiting. I weigh myself on Friday AM then I can see if I have lost weight that motivates me to not binge or skip tracking to loose the hard work I put into it over the week. I still put in everything even if I know I ate bar food and beer and start fresh the next day. We also eat out a lot on the weekends. I try to eat half what I order especially if it is greasy bar food or get a side salad with my unhealthy entree. Not sure if your a beer drinker. I try to stay away from beer if i can. If were dining I choose white wines or clear alcohol drinks such as a vodka press. Has 80 calories in it. Im not perfect just started MFP a few weeks ago but the little things help!

I hope this helps!
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too!! Especially now during football season and tailgaiting. I weigh myself on Friday AM then I can see if I have lost weight that motivates me to not binge or skip tracking to loose the hard work I put into it over the week.

I do the opposite lol...I weigh in on Monday mornings because I think I would do a little too much "celebrating" my Friday weight loss if I did it that way.
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any good ideas for making it easier to track calories on the weekends? I do so well during the week, and on the weekends I don't end up tracking and I know that I eat way more that I should be eating, especially with drinking, snacking at parties and general going out and all the temptations. I try to track, but by the end of the day, I've given up or I just don't do it at all. Another big reason that I'm not tracking, is we eat out a lot on the weekends, and I have a hard time determining how many calories are in the meals we have at restaurants or friends' houses. Any help would be so appreciated!

I'm guilty of going over my calories on the weekends. Last weekend was great, but I was a disaster this past weekend! That being said, I still do my best to track, even if that means staring at big fat red numbers at the end of the day! Before I go out to a restaurant, I always look at the menu online. I usually look for the healthiest option, so I can go into the restaurant knowing what I'm going to order. But if I decide to go all out (like I did on Saturday when I ordered Lobster gnocci) I try to save modt of my calories for that day until dinner.

Most restaurants have nutritional info online, but if I go to a place that doesn't I simply search the MFP database. I tend to select the item with the highest number of calories, just to be on the safe side.
  • redsoxmj
    Options
    Football is the worst for me, that's why I just asked! I go out Sunday morning, Bloody Mary's with Brunch, then apps with beer for 4pm game, and then more beer and dinner with friends on most Sundays. It's so bad, I'm sure it ends up being at least 3000+ for the day, I've tried to be better, but it's just the way it ends up most SUndays, I'm not going to stop watching football or going with friends to see the games, but I just want to do so much better!
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    I now officially refuse to eat any thing until I know how many calories it will be. Even when at a friends home. I will S for the food boxes to calculate the calories then enter it in my phone.
  • bruderer
    Options
    I am in the same boat! It's tough on the weekend, even with a smart phone with the app downloaded. I just don't think about it, or possibly even, I don't feel like seeing how bad I'm doing on the weekend. :/
  • carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It is hard when you are at someone's home and eating things prepared by others. When you go out, when possible pre-plan based off of their online menu. Pick your meal, any apps, and drinks and enter them. You can also work to develop a bank of extra calories Sunday morning, or Saturday. Plan a long and hard workout so you have some calories "in the bank". I think going in with a plan and the right attitude can help negate the damage.