benefits of post cardio workout prior to strength training

Options
Is there really a benefit to do 20 or 30 minutes of cardio prior to strength training?

Replies

• cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Not an expert here, but I'm gonna go with no. I think it would sap strength you want to have for the lifting. Maybe a few moderate minutes for a warm up, but not a half hour jog. Personally, I just warm up with the barbell... Start empty and keep adding weight til I get to my 5x5 weight
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have always heard the opposite, to do maybe a very short warm-up of 5-10 mins carido and then do strength and then finish up your workout with cardio. I know this works best for me. If I do strength first then my legs and feet are all flexed and stretched from doing strength and don't hurt as bad when I am walking/jogging.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Is there really a benefit to do 20 or 30 minutes of cardio prior to strength training?

In what sense do you mean benefit?

If the cardiovascular work is your main focus, or you're doing something like a martial art where skill-work is the priority, then you probably want to focus on that first. Then yes, the strength work can be secondary. In that regard there is a benefit to doing the non-strength stuff first.

If your strength training is your focus and you mean you're doing the cv as a general warm up to get the blood pumping? I see nothing wrong with that. I walk for 10 mins and do another 5-10 minutes of movement to get the heart and lungs on the go and some heat in the muscles before I lift. The key is not to go hell-for-leather though and ruin the strength session.

If you mean in some sense from a calorie burning or fat loss standpoint? Then it's largely irrelevant...
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thank you. That all meant sense.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There might be some specific "benefits". For example, one study has shown that doing cardio first results in higher post-exercise oxygen consumption. A very recent study showed that doing cardio first led to increases in cortisol, testosterone, HGH, and another anabolic hormone. (And no I don't have time right now to write down the references).

Bottom line: there are so many variables involved, and so much myth and folklore, that we still don't have precise information on all the the interactions. And, most importantly, for about 95% of the population! it doesn't make one iota of difference. None.

Be consistent.
    Use good form.
    Progressively challenge yourself.
    Choose quality exercises.
    ?????
    Profit!
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to save my energy for lifting. Any cardio I do is saved for after strength training, or it's a quick 5 min thing to warm up my muscles. It all depends on what you're looking to get out of your workout though.
  • JorgeGonzales
    Options
    Yes Cardio and Strength Training have a lot of benefits if you combine both of them otherwise cardio will be worthless for you.
    If you do Cardio for 20-30 minuts then you must also workout for atleast 10 minuts with strength training.

Thanks hope I helped you with this.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Yes Cardio and Strength Training have a lot of benefits if you combine both of them otherwise cardio will be worthless for you.
    If you do Cardio for 20-30 minuts then you must also workout for atleast 10 minuts with strength training.

Thanks hope I helped you with this.

Umm how would cardio be worthless it increases your HR and burns caloires. Why do you need to do strength training for 10 min if you do 20-30 min of cardio this makes no sense to me. I can understand not burning out on cardio if strenth training is your focus but to say it is worthless is really incorrrect. Also most of beach body products combine Cardio and resistance training in the same workout and there are probably millions of success stories.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Cardio should be done after, primarily for safety reasons. You need to be totally fresh (minus a warmup) when you start your strength workout.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

That would be pre, not post.

It also depends on your goals. Personally I want to maximize the quality of my lifting sessions, so I don't do cardio prior. I'm also working at an intensity where cardio after just isn't going to happen.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on the strong lifts program and I prefer not to do any cardio or warm up prior to lifting heavy weights. I'll typically send a minute or two stretching but that's about it. Excessive cardio in my opinion is not a good idea before lifting heavy especially with squats, they take it out of me enough.

After my heavy workouts I'll do light cardio after, maybe 20 minutes or more if I'm able. Inbetween heavy lifting days I'll do 45 min to an hour of cardio.