Losing heart ..stuck in plateau

Options
2»

Replies

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I've also had trouble with my heart rate increasing too quickly. I started with walking (~10 months), then the elliptical (~10 months), and now running (since March) while increasing the intensities for each as my heart got fitter. I try to not exceed my max HR (depends on the formula, but I use 191) and in general try to maintain my HR 155-175 when running. These days if I'm just walking it's around 120-130 (it used to be 160).

I'd recommend getting an HRM with a chest strap for when you walk. If your heart rate shoots up too high, slow down. Do it regularly and you'll see over time your HR will be lower with the same amount of effort. Then you can progress to going faster/longer.

http://www.digifit.com/heartratezones/training-zones.asp
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    While you're still not strong enough to get your heart rate elevated high, can you try something like Pilates or even just resistance bands? It isn't the same as yoga so maybe your body will react to it. The measuring of steps is great. I have the Jawbone UP and I do strength training. I only eat back the calories that the Jawbone UP adjusts (it syncs up with MFP) and I don't plug in any strength training exercises throughout the week. So I get to be in a slight deficit from those workouts. The pedometers are not very sensitive to slow strength training movements.
  • Paper_Diva
    Paper_Diva Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor when I exercise. You might want to invest in one and you can start out by walking. I wouldn't go crazy and try to power walk just start out at a nice easy pace and keep an eye on your heart rate while walking. If you start to notice it going too high too fast, walk slower.

Start out slow and easy and you will eventually get better and notice your heart rate getting better and you can work harder and your heart will be lower.

When you start to notice improvements in your HR, walk faster.

Your heart is a muscle and it's probably out of shape and your over doing it and over working it. Slow and steady at first and you will be able to increase your pace etc.

You can also do light strength path training exercising as well. Build some muscle to burn more calories during the day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've had pretty much every test going... xrays, scans, 7 day hr monitor, hr and bp monitored while on tread mill , incl. on incline. The adrenal gland test was just as a closure on discharge for my gp to do at some point. It actually makes sense to me if it does turn out to be my adrenaline control..

I have been given the all clear to exercise, but I still have this problem to deal with while i build up my fitness levels.

I have tried increasing my calories for a month by a few hundred, i just piled on a stone. I'm 39 (not that young anymore lol) and 5.9 in height. what would be considered a safe heart rate while exercising? Its like getting blood from a stone trying to get a straight answer from the cardiologist and gp when i ask them.

Yes I use a food scale ;)

I've been doing yoga (although ive always done it so my body is used to it so i dont add it on here), ive tried using my exercise bike.. took my hr hours to calm down...same thing happens when i walked for an hour or 2 or even dancing ..

so bought a fitbit scale and flex a few weeks ago to help me maybe increase my steps and try to balance things out .. ive increased my steps ,but i've still no loss really just the same 6lb off and on:tongue:

The reason I asked about a tilt table test, because it was the only cardiology test that identified my wife's medical condition (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome). You have similar symptoms as she experienced. Something to consider. I will note, that if you would have a similar condition, low carb and gluten free may be beneficial.

Now with that said, if you are logging daily and using a food scale and not exercise, 1200 may be adequate. But I would to get nutrient dense foods to ensure you meet macro micronutrient goals. If you can exercise, maybe start with lifting instead of cardio.

I'll look into that thanks .. im on low carb, glucose and sodium.. no harm in trying gluten free.. if it helps I'll give it a go :wink:

macro micronutrient? thats a new one to me.. ill have to look it up too lol

So it's macronutrient (carbs, fat, protein) and micronutrient (vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc..)
  • RMZ2014
    RMZ2014 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was thinking POTTS potentially as well. Worth a look into. Many providers are actually unaware of the condition believe it or not.
    I've had pretty much every test going... xrays, scans, 7 day hr monitor, hr and bp monitored while on tread mill , incl. on incline. The adrenal gland test was just as a closure on discharge for my gp to do at some point. It actually makes sense to me if it does turn out to be my adrenaline control..

I have been given the all clear to exercise, but I still have this problem to deal with while i build up my fitness levels.

I have tried increasing my calories for a month by a few hundred, i just piled on a stone. I'm 39 (not that young anymore lol) and 5.9 in height. what would be considered a safe heart rate while exercising? Its like getting blood from a stone trying to get a straight answer from the cardiologist and gp when i ask them.

Yes I use a food scale ;)

I've been doing yoga (although ive always done it so my body is used to it so i dont add it on here), ive tried using my exercise bike.. took my hr hours to calm down...same thing happens when i walked for an hour or 2 or even dancing ..

so bought a fitbit scale and flex a few weeks ago to help me maybe increase my steps and try to balance things out .. ive increased my steps ,but i've still no loss really just the same 6lb off and on:tongue:

The reason I asked about a tilt table test, because it was the only cardiology test that identified my wife's medical condition (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome). You have similar symptoms as she experienced. Something to consider. I will note, that if you would have a similar condition, low carb and gluten free may be beneficial.

Now with that said, if you are logging daily and using a food scale and not exercise, 1200 may be adequate. But I would to get nutrient dense foods to ensure you meet macro micronutrient goals. If you can exercise, maybe start with lifting instead of cardio.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    caloric deficit= weight loss. Try just walking for awhile.

Yes, this!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with anemia and I had similar symptoms - if I started any 'serious' exercise, my heart would race and it would take some time for it to calm down. I was that person who sat down during class waiting to get back up and join everyone else.

It's slowly getting better but I am able to do some gentle yoga and some barre classes while I'm trying to get the anemia fixed. I can't do all yoga classes and I would have to go slower at times during barre - but it was something. Not sure if that's something you'd be interested in pursuing - but it worked for me.
  • moijo6
    moijo6 Posts: 121
    Options
    Back to the gp on friday now.. I will mention POTTS etc I know my iron levels are fne, my glucose are prediabetic but i can reverse that with the newcastle uni diet when i get the all clear to do it and my thyroid is borderline underactive so i will get meds to sort that too.. non odf that causes the problem though.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Back to the gp on friday now.. I will mention POTTS etc I know my iron levels are fne, my glucose are prediabetic but i can reverse that with the newcastle uni diet when i get the all clear to do it and my thyroid is borderline underactive so i will get meds to sort that too.. non odf that causes the problem though.
    Since you are predibetic, it may be work looking into going LCHF. And if you have an underactive thyroid, it just means your burn less calories than the average person with your stats, so your BMR and TDEE will be at a lower point.
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Try walking in the morning. Nothing fast - don't go for time. Just a nice walk for 30min to an hour. Get your body going, enjoy the walk and don't go for time (trust me you'll start walking faster on your own as you get into it). Keep your heart rate low - if you have a friend, it should be easy to talk and walk at the same time. Once you get past 20-30 minutes, you'll be in the zone.

I'm down to 16-16.5 minute miles - but I'm comfortable, my heart rate is slow and steady and I'm not pushing myself. I bring my dog with me, and he's in heaven with a daily 5 mile walk (plus he's lost some weight himself). I don't like walking with other people, just my dog and my music. It's a great part of my day and I don't dread it like I used to dread my marathon training when I was leaner.

I don't take in a lot of sugar - 5-10g per day. I still eat my share of carbs in green veggies - but I only have fruits as a treat. I don't have a sweet tooth, so this isn't really a problem for me.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Did they consider you're just mildly dehydrated? My daughter had symptoms like that and that was her doctor's first suggestion, before checking for anemia next. When you get dehydrated your blood volume goes down and your blood pressure falls really low on standing, which makes you light headed and makes your heart rate rise to compensate for the loss of blood to the head. Or something.

Plateaus usually just require patience. Good luck!
  • moijo6
    moijo6 Posts: 121
    Options
    Try walking in the morning. Nothing fast - don't go for time. Just a nice walk for 30min to an hour. Get your body going, enjoy the walk and don't go for time (trust me you'll start walking faster on your own as you get into it). Keep your heart rate low - if you have a friend, it should be easy to talk and walk at the same time. Once you get past 20-30 minutes, you'll be in the zone.

I'm down to 16-16.5 minute miles - but I'm comfortable, my heart rate is slow and steady and I'm not pushing myself. I bring my dog with me, and he's in heaven with a daily 5 mile walk (plus he's lost some weight himself). I don't like walking with other people, just my dog and my music. It's a great part of my day and I don't dread it like I used to dread my marathon training when I was leaner.

I don't take in a lot of sugar - 5-10g per day. I still eat my share of carbs in green veggies - but I only have fruits as a treat. I don't have a sweet tooth, so this isn't really a problem for me.

Im going to start with this ^^^ my gp just said almost the same thing this morning, plus the good news is that there are no medical problems causing it, i can go ahead and start building up my fitness,but i have to start from scratch and fingers crossed my heart rate will settle with time :P