1200 calories on rest days? How is it possible?

Options

Replies

• JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Eat 4 - 300 calories meals throughout the day with lots of water.
    Or 3 - 300 calories meals with 3 - 100 calorie snacks if you want to spread it out.

ETA: Low cal yogurt, Chicken, veggies, fruit, nuts
  • KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi, I eat 1200 ish calories most days (but I don't count at weekends :smile: ) as my maintenance calories would only be 1350 without added exercise. Yes I'm little, so I need to eat little! This has been a hard challenge for me as portition sizes wherever you go are huge.

I have an open diary so feel free to have a look for some ideas. I guess the trick is low calorie but filling, greek yoghurt is my favourite 'find' since joining mfp.

It depends on how low 1200 is compared to your maintenance calories though, I wouldn't recommend too big a defecit as you will struggle and lose the will to continue. Slow and steady is a far better approach. Good luck.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten that low and only had a bit to lose. I lost on 1400.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Try to eat more for breakfast and reduce the calorie values of your other meals accordingly. I used to just eat porridge for breakfast and was getting hungry well before lunchtime, so now I have added 2 tbsp of greek yoghurt, 50g of berries and a sprinkling of seeds to my porridge and I'm finding it keeps me fuller for longer so I don't overeat at lunch time. I then have some fruit as an afternoon snack, and dinner is lean protein and veggies.

Oh also LENTILS. I have recently discovered green lentils and they are my new best friend! Far fewer cals than rice or pasta and packed full of protein so a small serving with meat and veggies keeps me satisfied.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You only have 4lbs left to lose so why not start walking up your calories to make the transition to maintenance easier?
  • KennaCanuck
    KennaCanuck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is very good, Zenia, I'm taking notes of what you said.
  • alanabanana86
    alanabanana86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey, feel free to add me, I have an open diary.

Can I ask- how have you worked out 1200? Most people this is far too low. I'm 5' 1" and 124lbs.

I eat at 1200 calories but then eat my exercise calories. To be honest I struggle to eat all of my calories! So I snack on dried beans etc to get my calories up!

an example daily diet for me would be granola and 0% greek yoghurt with strawberries, minestrone soup with 100g cottage cheese, snack of edamame nuts, dinner of tofu curry with veg. Drinks of unsweetened tea.

If you cook sensibly with your oil and sauces you might find that you can eat a whole bunch!

I try to meet my protein, carbs and fat needs ever day with calories, but on Sunday I give myself a day off and I meet my calories but don't worry about everything else, helps me fit in that chocolate bar ;)
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it, even on my rest days I can burn 2000+ calories according to my fitbit. That includes a little walking but nothing I'd call exercise. On an 100% rest day (never getting off the coach) I still burn over 1400 calories. On September 4th 2013 I had 527 steps but burnt 1568.

I could never imagine having a plain chicken breast with veg for dinner, how boring does that sound. I'd have to have at least something on the chicken.

I don't eat very 'healthy' though. I've got a thing for wraps at present
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Old thread but...

It's very possible. Read up on intermittent fasting. If people can eat 500 calories every other day (and many do, successfully, even long term), 1200 calories is a breeze.

debrag12- Eating less than you burn is how you lose weight.
  • bluuu123
    Options
    my 2 cents

your intakes of 600 are way too large

you should eat smaller meals but more often
    aim for 300-cal meals, 4-5 times a day
  • Redribbon73
    Redribbon73 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem on 1200 calories too in rest days I simply couldn't do it unless I went hungry and then having pressure to workout for extra calories. Didn't seem like fun so I changed my goal and now at 1450 then workout calories I can go the whole day without stressing. I don't get how people manage on 1200
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    If you are only over by 150 on your rest days just try to make sure on your workout days you are burning well over those and you should be allgood.

29509743.png
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So how do you stay at your 1200 calorie goal on days you don't work out. I am always over. How do u meet even just your protein needs? I have a shake and 1 egg white for breakfast and that's already 150 calories, 600 for lunch, and let's say 600 for supper, that's already 1350??? And I haven't even had a snack at all yet. I can't figure it out? Are you guys eating very very tiny meals, if so please in lighten me as to an idea of what I are eating please?...

600 for lunch?

Wow - I typically eat more for breakfast. But can manage less than 400 for lunch most days. Sandwich, veggies, fruit. Soup (broth based), veggies, fruit. Cottage cheese (1%) a few whole wheat crackers, fruit & veggies.

OR choose something above 1200. The number 1200 is just MFP's lowest default minimum. Any woman can bottom out there if her weekly goal is high enough. If 1200 is not practical....don't do it.
  • aaaceve
    Options
    Breaking up your food throughout the day really helps. I have about 150 calories (egg white and spinach omelet and strawberries on the side) first thing in the morning, but then another 100 (chobani simply 100 yogurt) two hours later. For Lunch I have sound some great low-calorie options like tuna salad packs (they come with tuna, crackers, mayo, and relish) that are only 200 calories! But filling up on veggies is definitely the way to go. Everyday I pack a whole sandwich bag full of cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, sugar snap peas, and sweet peppers. They are delicious, adorable, AND filling :) Nuts also keep me full as a quick (and small) snack. You can buy low-calorie bread (sarah lee makes a bread that is 45 calories per slice), meat (I have found a ham that is 60 calories for 4 slices-wow!) and cheese (sargento makes a 40 calorie cheese), to make a 200 calorie sandwich. Pair that with a ton of cute veggies and you'll be full! Progresso also makes a really yummy veggie soup (labeled "vegetable soup"), which is one of my go-to meals, because it is only 140 for the entire can!
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1200 because I'm pretty petite. On rest days I'll have often coffee plus a fried egg or something for breakfast (~150 calories), a big spinach salad with veggies and grilled chicken for lunch (~300 calories), a string cheese or apple or something similar for a snack (~50-150 calories), and some lean grilled meat with a whole bunch of roasted veggies for dinner (~450 calories). Total, about 1100-1200. I agree with the above poster who said that filling up on the veggies is the way to go!

Try roasted veggies, they are the BEST and quite low calorie! Asparagus, broccoli, brussell sprouts, or beets are my favorites. Dice them up and toss in a little olive oil, fresh garlic, and salt and pepper - roast at ~380 for 20 minutes and then broil for a couple minutes - huge bowl of delicious food for like 200 calories.
  • ckreamer
    ckreamer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I buy those cello boxes of vegetables ready to eat- (cauliflower, brocolli, mini carrots) and keep them on hand ALWAYS. Also cherry tomatoes, because they are juicy. I like to have snap peas too. I also buy sweet peppers - red, yellow, and orange...clean them up..cut them up...and keep them in another container.. also English cucumbers. So for lunch, I take a few of each of the above, add a handful of almonds (or some kind of protein), drink a glass of almond milk (the 40 cal kind)....and I am stuffed. You would not believe how much raw cauliflower and brocolli fills you up (and you will develop a real taste for this). An added advantage, eating like this will remove cravings.

This routine leaves me quite a few calories for supper, but I try not to overdo it. Stay away from pasta, and rice, or if you do have any makes it less than half a cup (cooked). Have some roasted veggies, or anything you really like...but watch the portions. Also be scrupulous in how you record in your diary.

Speedy741,
    Listen to this woman. This is exactly how I managed to lose weight. Also...you must, must , must pay attention to serving sizes. I used to overestimate my serving sizes of everything, but MFP is a great tool for keeping track of that. Also...I am also trying to maintain a 1,200 cal diet, and 600 cal lunch and dinner is way too high. take it down to around 425 or 450 and add healthy snacks between meals. This helps keep your metabolism high.
    good luck.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 for a stretch and the only way I was able to do it was by eating steamed/grilled/baked veggies with lean meat. I rarely, if ever, had any form of bread or fruit and I never drank any of my calories.

I basically stayed hungry all day. I would not recommend it.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily think 1200 is a good caloric goal for most folks. I know this isn't very scientific, but I once heard that you should take your goal weight and multiply by 10 to get your "deficit" calorie goal... so, for me, my goal weight is 135, so my goal is 1350 per day. Then, add in only HALF of your exercise calories on days you exercise. I know this is not what works for everyone - and I am no nutritionist or doctor... but it seems to be working for me.

1200 may not be good for most, but this logic actually proves what I have been saying about smaller sizes for awhile!

My goal is 115 ( and according to many charts that is a very moderate goal for my height and frame. Many put my goal at 104-109.)

So for me: 115x10 = 1150. On rest days. So I try to exercise every day. My rest day is a recovery walk!

But, OP, sometimes we can't even get a walk in, right? Those days are HARD!

I keep my breakfast under 200 (egg whites and 1 slice of low cal toast), my lunch under 300 (low cal bread with turkey or chicken, or maybe a frozen diet entree). That leaves 700 calories for a moderate dinner, and a healthy snack, like a piece of fruit or some veggies.

Easy? Absolutely not. Sometimes I am just hungry!

So I try to make sure I get in a walk on rest days. Also, if I look ahead several days, I will sometimes "save" calories from an earlier day in the week. I also look at weekly goals.

Hang in there. It is not easy.
  • fasyle
    Options
    If 1200 is you goal (MyFitnessPal says that 1000-1200 is the bare minimum someone should have...) then I would load the veggies. as obvious as it seems, veggies are amazingly low-calorie and often times much more filling than others. Meat takes a lot longer to digest than veggies, so if you find that you're getting hungry too quickly it might be worth it to eat something high in fiber or a meat.

Also, if you find that you get excessively hungry your body might be trying to tell you that it NEEDS more food, not just that you are craving food. 1200 is really low. Let me tell you, biologically speaking, you WILL be hungry all day eating that little.