WW vs MFP ...for those who know about WW

Options
I'm looking for some advice and some help on deciding between WW and MFP. I was on Weight Watchers for a VERY long time. Yo-yo-ing through the same 10 lbs after having lost 13lbs previously on WW. I tried using MFP this summer and didn't stick with it the way I should and thought maybe I should go back to Weight Watchers. I did sign back up (at a special price for 3 months) but again I'm stuck on what might work better. So this process is all about being honest with yourself - so here is the honest part. I like WW because I have those extra weekly points to "eat whatever I want" and I also like that I can just use the recipe builder easily and that I don't have to count my fruit or vegetables. I know and understand that within my daily point allotment the fruit and vegetables are technically already counted in. I just honestly don't know which plan I should really stick with. Last week, I REALLY thought I tracked well on WW and I had a 1 lb gain. This week I've been trying to keep track on MFP but I haven't been doing it the way I should. I am familiar with WW and I'm used to it - and I'm wondering if that comfort is actually causing my weight loss process to be at a stop. I also have a FitBit so that's why I think I keep trying to come back to MFP because I like the way it links easily. I've also noticed that my FitBit steps give me more calories to eat on MFP than they do points on WW. I think maybe I'm making myself more confused than I need to be - but I'd love some honest opinions and some help with deciding what might be best. Also, if you've previously been on WW I'd love to hear your opinion as well.

Thank you so much - in advance!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Choose whichever way works for you. I tried WW several times in the past. I just didn't like that feeling of being deprived and not being able to eat the things that I really like because of the whole points system. Counting calories works for me because I can eat whatever I want as long as I stay within my calories for the day. Figuring out points for everything was just a pain. I can figure out calories in my head to keep myself on track even when I'm not home.
  • jennylilac
    jennylilac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You should definitely do whatever is easy for you to understand and keep up with. I have done WW in the past and was successful, but at this point in my life I have no desire to learn new systems. I want to go with something I already know and understand and I feel like MFP fills that need for me by keeping is simple with calories and exercise. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I was on WW. For a year... Lost over 50 lbs before coming here....I love MFP because I love how you can track your food and on the bottom of your food page, there is a place for notes, I figure out my points from my macros for the day. Get out my calculator and put the total in the notes area. I give myself 29 points because I log all my veggies and fruit. Hope this helps.... Take a look at this recipe site...... www.slenderkitchen.com. Tons of recipes with points. Best to you either way... This also has such a great data base..
  • sksneve
    sksneve Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Like you, I've done WW off and on for 8 years. I've kept off 30 pounds (was down 40), but still need to lose 20 more. I decided to quit so I could afford a personal trainer. He monitors my entries in MFP and chides me when I make bad food choices. I like MFP because it tells you easily how much protein/fiber/fat you consume. WW doesn't really do that. On MFP fruits and vegetables are nearly free, because they are low calorie/high fiber. I've lost 5 pounds in a month and my bmi is down about 7%. I'm building muscle and feel great. I really do miss the WW meetings. The leader is so inspirational and funny! My trainer works me hard (and is NOT funny), but knows I have bad arthritis in my knees and gives me exercises that accommodate that, but still challenge me. That said, I am grateful to WW, because I knew zero about nutrition and calories. The scanner feature in MFP is really amazing--the WW scanner is not. The speed of MFP is great. The WW site is not. A co-worker started MFP alone and has lost 40 lbs. this year (a male). It's been a life saver for him! In the end, I'm here for good. It's free and WW is not.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i was die hard about weight watchers last time i was on it. i had a lot of success. but then they changed their points plan again and started giving "free" points for things, i found myself stuck at a plateau much sooner. also i was frustrated at the horrible layout of the website, the boring and tedious nature of the forums, and also the slowness of the ww app. i was annoyed because they didnt use calories in the equation anymore and i couldnt guess from a label how many points something was anymore. i found myself spending an hour in the grocery store having to scan everything to check... furthermore, i was paying 20 bucks a month for something they couldnt even bother to program well (a website)

the day i found MFP i played around on here for about an hour, and cancelled weight watchers immedietely. it took a while to find my groove here but i love the layout and ease of use soooo much better. i like that people actually read your blog, that people in the fora talk vibrantly (albeit argumentatively), and you can quickly build a support group of all kinds of people and they talk to you every day for the most part. i have been successful, and feel much freer about the control i have over my own program, and much more knowledgeable ablout what i am doing, whereas with weight watchers i felt like they didnt really want you to know HOW just follow the points and keep paying.

that said, in college i found weight watchers because in nutrition class i researched many popular diets and found that one to be the most parallel to what people should be doing anyway. healthy eating. it seemed more a long term lifestyle change and less like a crash diet. but... this is the same thing here. only free.

i guess it really depends on what you want for yourself. sometimes i am motivated by having to pay too... so yea. hatever works for you.

(i should add i am much much more likely to stick with this site because i have immersed myself so much in the social aspect of it.)
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've done weight watchers, but in all honesty...it didn't work for me *because* of the free fruits and veggies. I would gorge myself on those suckers, and believe me...you can gain weight on fruits and veggies (I'm proof, lol).

I'm really liking MFP so far, because logging every little thing that goes into my mouth is a constant "in the face" wake-up call on what I'm consuming. With WW...I let myself get away with far too much because they said it was "ok".

In the end, you need to choose what works best for you. =) I DO still use WW food sometimes, when I want a little snack (I like their bars better than candy bars).
  • kristijohnson1
    kristijohnson1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did WW back in 2007. I gotta say I prefer MFP. The points system of WW now seems like a convoluted gimick compared to the simplicity of MFP. MFP is simple calories in calories out. The database is awesome as well. No "bad foods" on MFP either. Just budgeting and planning. Basically on MFP you end up building your own evolving plan. You adjust it as you need it. You set your pace and make the rules. And it doesn't cost me $40 per month.
  • chadya07
    Options
    i forgot to say. you can still give yourself flex points. that doesnt have to change just because you change where you log. a lot of people have cheat days they plan,.,. i actually still kind of do... once a week or so i go over just because every once in a while its good to not give a crap. maybe every couple weeks because most of the time i can fit stuff in even if it is dinner out or something.
  • chadya07
    Options
    I did WW back in 2007. I gotta say I prefer MFP. The points system of WW now seems like a convoluted gimick compared to the simplicity of MFP. MFP is simple calories in calories out. The database is awesome as well. No "bad foods" on MFP either. Just budgeting and planning. Basically on MFP you end up building your own evolving plan. You adjust it as you need it. You set your pace and make the rules. And it doesn't cost me $40 per month.

yes! the database here is sooooo extensive i almost never have to add new foods almost everything is in here no matter how obscure! you just have to double check it sometimes. and its really cool that a lot of things are listed both by weight or by measure or count.
  • chadya07
    Options
    one more thing... i know i am talking a lot. another thing is that....

when i started logging on here i realized i really had no idea how much i was eating. at all. i had no idea how many calories any of my meals were because everything was points... which is a unitasker. points only do you good to know if you are only in the land of weight watchers, but the difference is... if i suddenly had no MFP i would be fine just adding up numbers on paper.

if i suddenly didnt have weight watchers i would have no idea how to figure out what to eat because i am dependent on a formula that only exists to them.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options

^ this
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Also a former WW user. For a time, I actually logged both WW and MFP, but transitioned to MFP because my vivofit HRM links and I am a meticulous measurer, so my calorie in/calories out is pretty accurate. After I got the hang of MFP, I felt it was way easier, more convenient and even strangely healthier.
    WW pushes a lot of processed and chemically flavored food like light yogurts and sugar free/fat free junk.
  • CorrieLA
    CorrieLA Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had been on WW since they switched to the new points system - shortly before 2012. I did lose some weight on it when I was super diligent. But I found calculating the points to be more of a hassle, and since the points system only vaguely takes into account things like protein & fibre, I got frustrated with it. The other thing I didn't like about WW was that it really only focused on weight loss. I was going to the gym - had a personal trainer for a while - and building muscle. So I wasn't losing a lot of weight, but I was getting smaller. But at the WW meetings they didn't care about that - only the number on the scale. WW works if weight loss is really the only thing you're concerned with, but they don't really get into fitness much. And I did like it for a while because it was something new & different & interesting. But it stopped working for me, personally, and MFP has a lot more to it if you want it. Plus it's free. :laugh:
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    It's already been mentioned, but I'm another one who switched over after seeing how much more user friendly MFP is compared to WW when it comes to both the app and website. It would be frustrating to scan a lot of items (including some of their own products) only to have it come up empty a majority of the time.

Another thing was that their meeting topics were too gimmicky for me. Exercise was only mentioned when their fitness products were on sale. After sitting in a month of meetings talking about using table settings as a weight loss tool I was done and switched to MFP.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Many years ago (after my 10 year old daughter was born) I joined WW and in a year I lost 30 pounds. However, when I reached goal, the leaders warned me that it might be hard to maintain that number given my height, age, etc. And they were right. Adding to it was that I never participated as a "Lifetime Memeber" and I think that may have helped. I gain about 20 of the 30 pounds back and tried to go back to WW, but it wasn't the same. Plus, if I didn't lose weight, the "leaders" at the scale would make comments. So then I found MFP. It's free, and the main point to both sites is logging your food accurately (meaning weighting and measuring). I thought WW was a bit too complicated - trying to calculate points, etc. Plus it was hard to get to the meetings and sometimes there was attitude... I did learn alot with WW, and I still carry those lessons with me...., but I have to say, at this point, I prefer MFP.
  • CorrieLA
    CorrieLA Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Many years ago (after my 10 year old daughter was born) I joined WW and in a year I lost 30 pounds. However, when I reached goal, the leaders warned me that it might be hard to maintain that number given my height, age, etc. And they were right. Adding to it was that I never participated as a "Lifetime Memeber" and I think that may have helped. I gain about 20 of the 30 pounds back and tried to go back to WW, but it wasn't the same. Plus, if I didn't lose weight, the "leaders" at the scale would make comments. So then I found MFP. It's free, and the main point to both sites is logging your food accurately (meaning weighting and measuring). I thought WW was a bit too complicated - trying to calculate points, etc. Plus it was hard to get to the meetings and sometimes there was attitude... I did learn alot with WW, and I still carry those lessons with me...., but I have to say, at this point, I prefer MFP.

YES!! I couldn't stand the fact that they would make comments when I was weighed at the beginning of each session. I would literally stand in front of the scale and say, "Please don't comment." before I would step on. They didn't give a rat's a** that I was working out and gaining muscle or that my clothes were a size smaller - all they logged and saw was the number on the scale.

Also, I agree 100% about everyone's comments about the apps. I never had anything but trouble with the WW app. It was never on the correct day when I would log in, and I'd have to hit the arrow multiple times to get to today's date. Also, it didn't work offline, which was a huge problem for me.
  • moneil25
    moneil25 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    MFP over WW hands down. I joined WW more times then I would like to admit. I would lose and gain it back. For me MFP is more motivating for exercise. I also have a fitbit and enter other exercise into my diary. Seeing the extra calories I have earned is very motivating. If you get involved in challenges and get some friends it's more social then WW. I hate to think of all the money I wasted at WW.
  • kbbeale
    kbbeale Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Im a WW Lifetime member. Im also a good 50 lbs overweight, LOL

I loved their old plan, it worked for me....the accountability of weighing in front of others, even if it was just the "leader"....Im competitive by nature and I didnt want to have a gain on my weight booklet.

Ive had 2 more children since my Lifetime status and have been struggling since. No more WW meetings near me, online only wont work because of the "accountability" thing for me, anyway. A friend showed me MFP a couple years back and I had tried off and on, but just didnt have my head in the game. Until a few months ago, anyway.

I decided I was done doing for everyone else, I got my *kitten* to the doctor, had a full blood panel run, practically asked for some anxiety meds and from that day forward, MFP has been super easy for me. I love logging my food and making sure I stay under my cals....and the scale is movin'!

I hate WWs new plan and I refuse to use it....but have no plans to because I love MFP, the smartphone app and how my Fitbit syncs too much to go back anyway. :)

You need to give MFP a good, honest effort and see how it will work for you. Good luck!
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I lost nearly 40 lbs on WW over the course of 4 months . . . then, they switched to Points Plus and I spent the next 2 years losing and gaining the same 7 lbs. Frustrating is an understatement!

I found the MFP app and started logging my food in both MFP and WW. I wanted to figure out exactly how much I was eating . . . I knew *something * had to be off somewhere because how is it possible that I wasn't losing weight when I was following the plan to a "T"? Turns out, staying within my daily points values meant I was, on average, consuming 2000 calories per day, a ton of carbs, and a huge amount of sugar. 3 servings of "free" fruit alone is an extra ~300 calories per day. After 3 weeks of cross-logging, I quit WW.

Unfortunately, at that point, I wasn't yet motivated to commit myself to MFP and the self-accountability it requires. The WW meetings had been a crutch . . . even though I wasn't losing weight, it kept me committed. Once I quit that, I easily gained back 25 lbs. In January of this year, I found myself ready to commit to my health and to MFP.

The money I've saved from not paying a monthly WW meetings is put towards a membership at a kick-*kitten* gym :)
  • enzosmama
    enzosmama Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've gone on and off WW a number of times. It never stuck. I started MFP as an alternative to WW- I figured I would use this until I hit a plateau and then I would go over to WW. I wanted to prove to myself I could get into the habit and stick with tracking before I paid $ for it. I love MFP so much I never felt the need to go back to WW. You need to do what works for you, but I much prefer MFP. And it's free! You can't beat that!