Fitbit Help

Options
Can anyone assist with this question please;

2. Record start times for all cardio exercises
In order for your Fitbit tracker to accurately calculate your calorie burn, you'll need to record a start time for all cardio exercises you log on MyFitnessPal. If you use a MyFitnessPal mobile app, make sure you update to the latest version so that you can record start times from the app as well.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    From http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/section/65-fitbit-integration
    Why do my exercise diary entries ask for the start time of my cardio exercise?

By entering the time you begin your cardio exercise, the calories burned, and the number of minutes you exercised, MyFitnessPal and fitbit.com can correctly reconcile your cardio exercise with the increased activity recorded by your Fitbit during that period of time. Without the start time and the minutes exercised, it is likely that your increased activity level would be accounted for twice: once when you log it on MyFitnessPal, and once when your Fitbit reports increased activity. Entering the start time ensures that your Net Calorie Goal is not adjusted twice for the same cardio workout. The exercise calories you log with MyFitnessPal will replace the calorie data estimated by your Fitbit for that period of time.

Personally, I log all my activity in Fitbit, not MFP.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Can anyone assist with this question please;

2. Record start times for all cardio exercises
    In order for your Fitbit tracker to accurately calculate your calorie burn, you'll need to record a start time for all cardio exercises you log on MyFitnessPal. If you use a MyFitnessPal mobile app, make sure you update to the latest version so that you can record start times from the app as well.
    Not sure what the question is but...
    If you exercise and only rely on the fitbit for the calorie count for that exercise, you don't have to do anything,

If you use a HRM or other way of determining calories burned during exercise, you need to enter your start time and the duration of the exercise because MFP send the info to FB and it will override the estimated calorie burn that FB thought you did for that time frame. This is important if you are doing an activity that FB cannot accurately estimate cals burned, like weight lifting, cycling, etc.

I use a HRM and enter all of my info on MFP and let it sync with FB's site. Its just easier for me to have one app/site to look at. In fact, the only time I go to FB's site is when the sync between MFP and FB are screwed up (occasionally happens) or I am changing my food plan/goal.

Good Luck! I love my fitbit and since I got it, I have lost 35 lbs (7 months!)
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    As a new FitBit User.....I'm confused by this statement too......there is no way to enter a "start time" into the current MyFitnessPal app.....or is this statement reversed? Am I supposed to tell FitBit that I am starting a gym work out so it knows when to calculate for my "workout"?

From what this sounds like, I will no longer be entering any calorie burn data into MyFitnessPal as I previously would......due to the differences in calorie burns between MFP, the LifeFitness machines I've used, and the HRM chest strap I wear......I would typically take an "average" of all 3 numbers, and then divide by 3 (HRM+MFP+elliptical divdide by 3) and then log this "estimated" calorie burn.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    From http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/section/65-fitbit-integration
    Why do my exercise diary entries ask for the start time of my cardio exercise?

By entering the time you begin your cardio exercise, the calories burned, and the number of minutes you exercised, MyFitnessPal and fitbit.com can correctly reconcile your cardio exercise with the increased activity recorded by your Fitbit during that period of time. Without the start time and the minutes exercised, it is likely that your increased activity level would be accounted for twice: once when you log it on MyFitnessPal, and once when your Fitbit reports increased activity. Entering the start time ensures that your Net Calorie Goal is not adjusted twice for the same cardio workout. The exercise calories you log with MyFitnessPal will replace the calorie data estimated by your Fitbit for that period of time.

Personally, I log all my activity in Fitbit, not MFP.

Same here. Don't rely on a pedometer to be accurate and add to your calorie goals here. Everyone is different and I know this works for some people. I however have found that combining the two slowed my weight loss way down. Use the fitbit to motivate, us MFP to track what you eat.
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If you have your Fitbit synced to MFP, then you need to enter the time it was that you started exercising. I use the app on my iphone and instead of just having "minutes performed" and "calories burned" there is now another entry area for the "exercise start time." If you don't enter your start time, then your Fitbit will also add in the calories you burned while exercising, essentially double-dipping and giving you more calories than you earned.

ETA: I use a HRM and log all my exercise through MFP.
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I just don't bother recording start times or even log my activities. I have my calories and macros set for my current activity level and I don't want my diary to show me how many calories more I can eat. My PT suggested this. The idea is to run at a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. If I eat the calories back, no losses.

What I do do, is make a note at the bottom of the page of what activity I did and how long for. That way if I need to review a few weeks to find out why I did or didn't lose the information is there. Win win.
  • Jonalee1977
    Options
    The idea is to run at a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. If I eat the calories back, no losses.

This statement is not accurate. When you set up your MFP profile, it asked you how much you wanted to lose per week. Eating back your exercise calories keeps you on track with MFP's target and you will still lose weight as long as your logging is accurate.

You can either figure out your TDEE less 20 percent and eat that number of calories daily without tracking exercise (because you've already accounted for it) or you can follow MFP and eat back your exercise calories. Both should essentially give you the same number, it's just a different way of doing it.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thank you! LOL. I just now checked the app, and after "linking" MFP with Fitbit....it now shows the "Start time"entry both online and within the app ;) Wow, so confusing......I'll give it a try tonight and see how I like it.....vs. my manually entering calories burned.....by using an average of my HRM, the machine, and MFP.....
  • MommaT60
    Options
    Ummmm. What is a Fitbit? Don't laugh at the new MFP member. I really don't know.
  • ddarpel
    ddarpel Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been using my fitbit, synced with MFP for about a month. I wanted to use it to help be break out of a rutt. I've jumped up a few pounds and stalled out on my weight loss. To be fair I have upped my calories and I'm starting to lift, so there are a few factors at play. I am afraid, however that the fitbit is over-stating my calorie burn as "exercise." I put in my start time for workouts (cardio and lifing) to avoid double dipping down to the minute. It just seems like I am getting "credit" for doing nothing different that I have for the last year. I use MFP goals and base it on a non active level ( I have a desk job). I keep etaing at my calorie goal and only going into my exercise calories a couple times a week.

I love the fitbit, it does provide modivation for me to move more. I just am more unsure about if I am eating too many or too few calories... Maybe it is just me moving into the last 10 - 20 lbs of weight loss and needing to be content with a slower process than I had when I first started last year.
  • Jonalee1977
    Options
    Ummmm. What is a Fitbit? Don't laugh at the new MFP member. I really don't know.

It's basically a glorified pedometer but it can be synced with MFP so the two work hand-in-hand, plus you can add friends and compete with one another. It's around $100 and I feel it's worth the price.

There are several different styles. I have the One because it's easily hidden and tracks the flights of stairs I've climbed per day.

http://www.fitbit.com/comparison/trackers
  • 0torque0
    0torque0 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    i'm new here and have to throw an wrench in the question. So i went for a run today and used the "Map My Fitness" app, which sends data to "My Fitness Pal" but I was also wearing my fitbit. Did i double up on my steps during that? And what's the correct solution? Entering in the data into MFP as well? Or just taking off the dang fitbit while i run?
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i'm new here and have to throw an wrench in the question. So i went for a run today and used the "Map My Fitness" app, which sends data to "My Fitness Pal" but I was also wearing my fitbit. Did i double up on my steps during that? And what's the correct solution? Entering in the data into MFP as well? Or just taking off the dang fitbit while i run?

Does Map My Fitness record a start time on MFP? Does it cross to FB's dashboard? If so, Map My Fitness will override what FB senses that you did. So long as the exercise you do lists a start time and a duration that you did the activity, it will override FB for that time.
  • 0torque0
    0torque0 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It looks like it does record a start time on MFP, but it is not on the FB dashboard. At least as far as i can tell. I didn't look but it feels like my steps increased but there is no record of a workout at that time. Does anyone else use a running app? does runtastic communicate a little better between the other two apps?