Best diets for Apple Shape?

Options
Hi, I'm on my third day with a low carb diet. I just had a quick question though. Does anyone have experience losing weight on a low carb diet with an apple shape? So far I've cut out all grains, pastas, bread, etc. I'm getting all my carbs from fruits and veggies and I'm trying to keep my carb intake to about 50 - 80 grams per day. My problem is that all my fat is literally around my tummy. My arms and legs are rather trim but my tummy is huge. As in preggers huge. Any advice concerning fitness regimes and/or diet suggestions?
Thanks!!!

Replies

• spinneyhex
    spinneyhex Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm also apple shaped and I've been on every fad diet imaginable they way I lost weight was to stick to a calorie controlled diet and exersise. That said I do not and never have eaten a lot of starchy foods as they don't not agree with me but grains are not completely eliminated from my diet.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes down to genetics. You cannot spot reduce, sadly. Stomach was the very last place I lost from. My stomach progressively looked bigger because the rest of me was shrinking but my stomach wasn't really improving. It took the last 10-15 lbs to see a significant change in it. I'd keep losing at a sustainable pace, eat a good amount of protein, and keep up with your fitness and in time, you'll see improvement.

Another suggestion would be incorporating some form of resistance training into your routine. Ideally heavy lifting like barbell routines, if not that then body weight exercises. Anything progressive that will help retain your current muscle, so as you lose weight, you'll get leaner, too.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Eat more apples.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce no matter what diet or exercise you do. The fat will just come off where it wants to. No matter what your eating plan the basics of losing weight are you are using more energy than you take in. You don't need special fad diets like low carb or anything. You just need to eat normal foods and know how much you are eating.

Have a look at these links they will help you

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit and exercise that is about 60:40 of weights and cardio.
  • spinneyhex
    spinneyhex Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I started off by walking 5 miles 3 times a week (ye,s you do have time)I do interval training 3 times a week on the playing field next to my house, using the benches and paths for resistance exersise and i throw a kettle bell about a couple of times a week . I dont let anyone get anything for me, I make sure I do all of the fetching and carrying in the home and at work. Still an apple, but a juicy one :)
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more.

Personally, I've always been thicker around the waist and I've found lifting heavy (think compound weights like squats, deadlifts) has left me with a much thinner waist line.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I would go on any diet that has you eating fewer calories per day then you burn. Any diet that does that works for apple shapes, as well as pear, grapefruit, pineapple, strawberry, blueberry, and banana shapes...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Eat more pears
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Eat more pears

I'd eat more strawberries too...help balance the top out some.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I would go on any diet that has you eating fewer calories per day then you burn. Any diet that does that works for apple shapes, as well as pear, grapefruit, pineapple, strawberry, blueberry, and banana shapes...

Pineapple shaped - how can anybody be pineapple shaped? Do you mean the person is actually a blueberry shaped but then has grown mohawk?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Eat more pears

Hmmm

strawberry12n-3-web.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes down to genetics. You cannot spot reduce, sadly. Stomach was the very last place I lost from. My stomach progressively looked bigger because the rest of me was shrinking but my stomach wasn't really improving. It took the last 10-15 lbs to see a significant change in it. I'd keep losing at a sustainable pace, eat a good amount of protein, and keep up with your fitness and in time, you'll see improvement.

Another suggestion would be incorporating some form of resistance training into your routine. Ideally heavy lifting like barbell routines, if not that then body weight exercises. Anything progressive that will help retain your current muscle, so as you lose weight, you'll get leaner, too.

Nailed it^

I'm a pear.....it's the last place I lose from. All you can do is lose weight....and use strength training to "shape" the end result. No gimmick, nothing to buy. People like gimmicks but sadly they don't work.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Eat more pears
    lololol
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit and exercise that is about 60:40 of weights and cardio.

This.

Coincidentally, this works for every other shape, too.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    eat healthy and lots of protein. It will come off but remember - no such thing as spot reduction no matter what all those adds say.:huh:
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Eat more pears

This^ and the best diet for a pear shape is to eat more apples.:wink:
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Eat more pears

This^ and the best diet for a pear shape is to eat more apples.:wink:
    Well, apples can't eat apples. That's just canibalism!
    horror__canibal_apple_by_angelnoise.jpg
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I am carambola shaped. Cause I am a star!

For those who read this and get riled up, it's sarcasm.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Eat more pears

Hmmm

strawberry12n-3-web.jpg

I'm conflicted on how to eat this.