Question about walking

Options
I am 60 years old and I walk 5k's/ day (3mi) in 60 minutes, with half of that time being uphill...Should I skip a day between these walks?

Replies

• GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you feel.
    I walk 7k every day between walking to the train station, to work, walk at lunch time etc, I've taken a day off yesterday and only walked from the station to work and back again because I have a huge blister on the outside of my foot that is making me limp (which in turn was starting to affect my achilles).
    If you feel fine, keep it up, if you start to hurt/tired all the time/picking up illnesses you may want to look at a rest day (personally I think that's unlikely walking 3 miles a day a 20min miles).
  • RKTipper
    Options
    I also am 60 years old, and I walk every day, anywhere from 4 to 15 Km. I agree that it depends on how you feel, your level of fitness, posture, technique, good shoes, everything. I am a big fan of brisk walking as it is a pleasant exercise in which you can go places hand in hand with your wife and have long talks, do the shopping, stop for coffee. This is what we brought back with us from Italy (in 2012) and on our return we got rid of our car.

In addition to the walking I have lately taken up jogging (2 or 3 times a week) and exercising (daily) with my daughter who is determined to lose weight in the coming year or two. I usually don't run on consecutive days and we have come to consider the (only) walking days as our rest days. With running of course, fitness, training, technique, rest and shoes become even more important. Also stretching carefully, thoroughly before and after.

If you are having any muscle or joint or foot issues consider footwear and investigate what can be done with stretching before and after, perhaps massage, etc. to keep you on the road. With all this exercise I have also become an advocate for good sleep and sleeping technique, it makes such a difference. We learn from cats. If it feels like time to rest, it probably is time to rest.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Walking is something, barring other medical issues, that you can do every day without the need for rest days in between (if you were race walking it may be a different story)

Our ancestors walked or ran everywhere and (you're only a couple of years older than me) I'm going to bet you walked to school, your friends' houses etc etc etc when you were a kid.

Invest in a comfortable pair of walking shoes, wear comfortable clothes and you're ready to go!
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My FIL is 76 and walks 5 miles a day. He also hikes most weekends and climbed a Colorado 14er last year too.

I say if you can keep doing it without days off, do so as long as you can.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    it's walking and the human body was built to walk. you'll be fine
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I am 60 years old and I walk 5k's/ day (3mi) in 60 minutes, with half of that time being uphill...Should I skip a day between these walks?

A 99 year old neighbour runs twice a day@longer distances and he seems fine. Started when he was 36 years and has not stopped or missed a day of running since, according to him. :smile: If you feel as though you need to take a rest day in between, do so. Don't let the fact that you're 60 years old be the determining factor, because it isn't.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body. Rest when you feel you need to.
  • TerresaJ
    TerresaJ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    What Dave said. If you're feeling good...keep those legs moving! :)
  • petee5854
    petee5854 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and input. I am still at it and not gonna quit!!!