Upset with myself

Options
I Started with mfp on the 23rd June starting with 140lbs to loose, After 8 weeks I was 18lbs down and then I don't really know what happened.....well I do I stopped being honest and tracking even when I did track I didn't put it all down. I haven't weighed myself since however I am back to it today and so far so good. All food logged but I know if I weigh myself I will feel so demoralised and angry at myself and that will lead to me eating so I'm going to steer clear of the scale for a few weeks and then see where I'm at. Hopefully I will be down 20lbs that's my goal.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I agree, if being upset at the scale causes you to eat, stay off it. Don't beat yourself up, life happens. I was on a streak of over 400 days and am back to day 2 today. Take each day and do your best, don't worry about what happened yesterday.
  • shadowmail
    Options
    Stay with it, you came back and that's the best part! I'm just getting started but you've shown your in this for the long haul! Congrats!
  • melindabrock
    melindabrock Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Im upset with my self as well I started lifting weights 2 weeks ago and on Friday 3 people told me they could see a difference in my appearance. I was SO SO excited and then yesterday and today I slacked and didn't get up and go to the gym. I fell horrible and the old me would say screw it and be done BUT 3 people noticed a difference after 2 weeks!!! So tomorrow I am getting up and going to the gym because its never too late. Keep your head up and stick with it. I ate crap all weekend and I just knew I would gain weight and guess what I was down a lb today. :) its really hard I know but try not to be too hard on yourself
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Im upset with my self as well I started lifting weights 2 weeks ago and on Friday 3 people told me they could see a difference in my appearance. I was SO SO excited and then yesterday and today I slacked and didn't get up and go to the gym. I fell horrible and the old me would say screw it and be done BUT 3 people noticed a difference after 2 weeks!!! So tomorrow I am getting up and going to the gym because its never too late. Keep your head up and stick with it. I ate crap all weekend and I just knew I would gain weight and guess what I was down a lb today. :) its really hard I know but try not to be too hard on yourself
    Good for you!!! As it's said here many times: eating poorly ONE weekend is not going to ruin you just like eating "perfectly" and working out for ONE weekend won't magically make you healthy or reach your goal weight.
    There will always be ups and downs; just ride them out!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Absolutely EVERYONE does that. No one sticks perfectly to the plan. We all have times where we "slack off". Don't beat yourself up for it, just get back on the horse and ride! Keep moving forward, don't look back. Like I used to tell my son, if you spend all your time looking back where you came from, you're just going to run into a lot of obstacles along the way.
  • MakingMyDreamsComeTrue2015
    Options
    I have been up and down and back around with the losing weight. It's hard. It's hard to stay motivated, it's hard to make yourself grab that apple instead on a cupcake. But it will be worth it, and I truly believe that. I have a hard time still but I am still trying and learning. You got this!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If you know that the scale is going to get you down and out, maybe you can use another measure for success. Let's throw out the scale and go for a tape measure instead. Another 8 weeks, and you could be down inches instead of pounds.

Think of getting into clothes that are older or you didn't fit into and fitting into them, etc. Just pointing out that the scale is not the only way to measure your successes! :flowerforyou:
  • Tubecat
    Tubecat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know it's easy to say, but don't be. Just remember that you can hit the reset button any time. Try to focus on what made you want to lose weight in the first place and just... start again. And hey! You're 10lb lighter than last time still so you've already owned that. LIKE A BOSS, as my friend would say. I dunno if this'll help you at all, but when I joined MPF, it asked me to set a target. And the number was (and is) pretty big. The kind of big where I can't visualise myself at it. So I largely ignore my ticker and have set myself lots of mini goals. Half stones, full stones, half a stone off, a full stone off, a BMI point lower; that kind of thing. I've also gone back through my brainpan and tried to remember when I was last at each weight to remember how I looked and felt. Right now, I'm October 2011. I'm aiming for January 2010 as my next big landmark. That was when I bought my last pair of size 14 jeans, to go to a gig in. Stuff like that makes me keep coming back. You just need to find what'll keep you coming back. :)
  • Polishprinsezz
    Polishprinsezz Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I only lost 2lbs in the last few weeks. I try to tell myself that the slow weight is better than no weight. It is very hard to let go of the stigma of the scale. Now I only weigh in every other week.
  • saraj9999
    Options
    I am just coming out of a little head-induced set back too. You know what did it to me? It was the fact that I got a little cheaty and a little slacky and a little lazy and I still lost. People continued to say nice things about how much smaller I looked, etc. So me, being me, I had to keep pushing the envelope of laziness.... How little COULD I get away with excercising? How many extra, unlogged bites COULD I eat before it started to catch up with me? Well, I found out, that is for sure.

For me, excercise is the key that keeps it all together. If I don't do that to screw my head on straight (and not blowing off the top of my shoulders from work-induced stress), then I let everything else circle to right on down the toilet.

My good friend helped me see the truth and grabbed the back of my neck, gave me a few good shakes and to hauled my behind back on board. Yours will do the same if you ask :)

Best of luck!
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I know we all put a lot of emphasis on the scale but it really is the worst thing to track on short term. I have almost gotten to the point where I only weigh ever 3-4 weeks. Otherwise I get frustrated with the fluctuations like:

Week 1 - Lost 1 pound of fat but holding 1 pound of water = 0 lbs lost
    Week 2 - Lost 1 more pound of fat but 1 less pound of water = 3 lbs lost
    Week 3- etc, etc

Once you are fully confident that CICO works it becomes less about the weekly weigh-in.

My two cents.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is a process. Like anything we're going to get good at, we're going to make mistakes (how else would we learn). You need to give yourself a break. How bout 'WOW, LOOK AT THIS GREAT JOB I'VE DONE"! Now you know you CAN do it. Pull your boot straps up and step lively.
  • lindaland1
    lindaland1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you today, starting over... again. But hey, at least I am not giving up!! I was doing great for a while but then let life take charge of me rather than the other way around. I stopped tracking, started dipping into the candy bowl at work, and quit exercising all together. Well to no surprise, today I finally braved the scale, and while I wasn't shocked about the gain, I was stunned by how much!! I have gone completely backwards and am higher than my starting weight!! :(

So back to the basics today, started back on the bike and making better choices for what I eat. I have a horrible work schedule where its one week of 12 hour shifts on and then one week off. My problem is while its easy to stick to my diet on my week on, its hard to work in exercise, and when I have my week off, its easier to fit in exercise but harder to stick to good eating habits. I did much better when I just worked 8 hour shifts 5 days/week, but that is not going to change anytime soon so I am just trying to work out a plan for both weeks separately. That is all I can do really, keep trying since I am not ready to give up just yet!
  • dkbouch
    dkbouch Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am so upset with myself as well! I have attempted to join Fitness Pal twice before. I was going to lose some weight for summer - and then I just got lazy! Now that everyone is back to school perhaps this is the time to start again??? I am at home - student - and taking distance education courses from our local university. I need some sort of motivation to exercise every day. I have a spin bike - which I use occasionally! I need to get on it every day - and I am going to try Yoga starting tomorrow. I've found some beginner yoga online to get started and I bought a Yoga for dummies book that explains the poses, breathing etc. I really think it would be good for me to relax while stretching all the important muscles. Once I start to get into a bit of a routine - i would also like to start using some weights to get my arms/shoulders more defined. BUT - of course I also need to start eating better. I'm terrible because I make cookies, etc for my daughter's lunches and then I snack and pick at them all day! If its sitting here I eat it! HELP!!! Please give me some motivation!!!
  • DanNissley
    DanNissley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Absolutely EVERYONE does that. No one sticks perfectly to the plan. We all have times where we "slack off". Don't beat yourself up for it, just get back on the horse and ride! Keep moving forward, don't look back. Like I used to tell my son, if you spend all your time looking back where you came from, you're just going to run into a lot of obstacles along the way.

I couldn't agree more....about 4 years ago I was at 310 lbs and decided I needed to change or die way too young so I joined LA Weightloss and just as I reached my goal of having lost 100 lbs they went out of business so I've been floundering a bit and had gained back 45 lbs and most it was because of the lack of being accountable to anyone for my crazy eating habits. A few months ago I found MyFitnessPal. It seems odd being accountable to my the MFP Smartphone App but it is working with its automatic reminders to log my meals etc....plus I've taken up riding my bicycle on a nearby bike path and have managed to lose 10 lbs. Pleased don't despair....it is possible to lose weight even though it seems like losing 1/4lb at a time is too slow...before you know it it adds up to where you know its making a difference.

I notice that on my profile says I joined MyFitnessPal in 2012...I had D/L the app but didn't use it...my bad.

By the way 'hi folks' :)
  • keelybird57
    keelybird57 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have to play mind games to keep at it. Right now, I'm shooting for a 30 day streak. I'm not stepping on the scale till the 30 are up. I also have a 3x5 index card where I listed 10 things that will change when I lose weight. I carry it with me and read it when I feel weak. Maybe you could try the mind games, too.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I am so upset with myself as well! I have attempted to join Fitness Pal twice before. I was going to lose some weight for summer - and then I just got lazy! Now that everyone is back to school perhaps this is the time to start again??? I am at home - student - and taking distance education courses from our local university. I need some sort of motivation to exercise every day. I have a spin bike - which I use occasionally! I need to get on it every day - and I am going to try Yoga starting tomorrow. I've found some beginner yoga online to get started and I bought a Yoga for dummies book that explains the poses, breathing etc. I really think it would be good for me to relax while stretching all the important muscles. Once I start to get into a bit of a routine - i would also like to start using some weights to get my arms/shoulders more defined. BUT - of course I also need to start eating better. I'm terrible because I make cookies, etc for my daughter's lunches and then I snack and pick at them all day! If its sitting here I eat it! HELP!!! Please give me some motivation!!!

I love yoga. You get a good workout and you don't really break a sweat and it improves flexibility. It's also very calming. Find some type of workout that you LOVE to do. I see people on here all the time saying that they are running, but they hate running. That won't last. And I have the same issue- if it's at home I will eat it. So I don't buy it, OR I eat in moderation and log it (and exercise the calories off). I have stopped trying to deny myself things I love, but if there's something I will eat a LOT of without meaning to, I just don't buy it (cookies, potato chips, Little Debbie cakes, etc). So don't beat yourself up too much- get into some habits and routines and pack healthy lunches for your daughter too.
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have to play mind games to keep at it. Right now, I'm shooting for a 30 day streak. I'm not stepping on the scale till the 30 are up. I also have a 3x5 index card where I listed 10 things that will change when I lose weight. I carry it with me and read it when I feel weak. Maybe you could try the mind games, too.

Me likey this index card idea. I'm filling one out right now. :flowerforyou:
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. Forgive yourself and move on.
    Ps - YOUR BABY IS SO CUTE!!!!
  • lindaland1
    lindaland1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also have a 3x5 index card where I listed 10 things that will change when I lose weight. I carry it with me and read it when I feel weak. Maybe you could try the mind games, too.

That is an awesome idea!! I am going to try that one, it might just be what I need to keep on it!! :)