Work through the pain?

Options
So I am wondering...

Is it better to continue to exercise through the pain (ie: sore muscles from the previous days workout?) or wait however many days are needed for the soreness to go away and resume exercising.

And on that note... best ways to aleviate muscle soreness besdies ibprufen?

Replies

• JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    For me it helped to just work through the pain. Eventually I became less and less sore. Before I had waited until I wasn't sore anymore and I either gave up on working out, or the soreness after a workout never got better. I've found drinking a ton of water has really helped keep me from being so sore after a work out.
  • dontcallmecandie
    Options
    Ok thanks. It's mostly my legs today and wowee, I can barely walk up the stairs. But the worst? Is getting on/off the toilet hahaha.
  • Try to keep going through the pain (so long as it is good pain and not bad pain) but be careful of over-doing it. If I am really stiff I tend to make sure I take gentle exercise (walking) rather than attempt a massive workout.

As for helping the pain - try to eat lots of protein (I find a questie after a tough workout helps) and also foam rolling and stretching :)
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    muscles begin to atrophy after 3 days of not using them... get on the floor and do some stretching... then apply some ice... keep a few bags of frozen peas in different weights... they are fantastic as ice bags.. just wrap them in a tea towel and apply to the sore muscles (after stretching) 15 minutes on... 15 minutes off... TO prevent that kind of soreness and stiffness... do at least 10 minutes of Cardio... hard cardio... get the blood flowing through the muscles.. open up all your blood vessels... then...do your workout... after your workout... (or before your workout) 20- 30 minutes before... or right after... down a scoop of whey protein in a shaker... so that your body gets a fresh blast of muscle building protein... Create good habits... never leave a muscle group alone for more than 3 days.. good luck...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep, suck it up princess! At least that's what I tell myself :laugh:
  • dontcallmecandie
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the info guys!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    If you are doing an extreme workout you should skip a day before reworking those same muscles.

29509743.png
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between being sore and having pain. Work through soreness. Stop if you are having pain. Being sore is sometimes a part of a hard workout, or something new. Pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong.

If you are sore, you can try ice/heat or stretching. Eating foods high in protein can also help, along with eating a few carbs. I know it made a huge difference for me when I was the most sore I've been from a new workout program to eat some protein and carbs. I never would have thought to have done that, until I talked with my trainer and he suggested it.
  • filemanager
    filemanager Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great thread, I was just going to post the same question, but thought I would do a search first. ;)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If it's just muscle soreness, you can work through it. However, you should be cautious about doing an exercise if the soreness prevents you from doing it with proper form or full range of motion.

The best way to deal with it is to avoid it in the first place by increasing weights and volume more gradually.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    General muscle soreness? Gentle warmup and get to it. Muscle/joint pain? Rest, and see a doctor if it's not improving.
  • kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Get a massage!