Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Belly fat on skinny frame

Hi there, I'm 36f, 5'1 and currently weigh 100 pounds. My problem is that I can still grab 2 fists full of belly fat. I know if my subcutaneous fat is at this level I must have a ton more visceral fat underneath which concerns me. I am pretty active and average about 2-2.5 hours of fitness (cardio, interval and weights) 5-6 times a week. I eat the same foods practically every day and don't really eat much carbs or sugar. This plan has helped me lose 6 pounds but belly fat remains about the same. My stomach appears flatter but there is quite a bit of extra cushion when I press my finger into my ab wall. I look good in clothes but naked- that's another ballpark. Anyone faced the same issue?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Hi there, I'm 36f, 5'1 and currently weigh 100 pounds. My problem is that I can still grab 2 fists full of belly fat. I know if my subcutaneous fat is at this level I must have a ton more visceral fat underneath which concerns me. I am pretty active and average about 2-2.5 hours of fitness (cardio, interval and weights) 5-6 times a week. I eat the same foods practically every day and don't really eat much carbs or sugar. This plan has helped me lose 6 pounds but belly fat remains about the same. My stomach appears flatter but there is quite a bit of extra cushion when I press my finger into my ab wall. I look good in clothes but naked- that's another ballpark. Anyone faced the same issue?

Skinny-fat? Do you strength train? Eat plenty of protein and have a modest calorie deficit? These things help you keep lean muscle while dieting.

You might look into body recomposition. It's basically where you don't set out to lose weight (and more muscle...potentially)....instead you focus on creating lean muscle.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Strength training, body recomposition.
  • vincelaccro
    vincelaccro Posts: 22 Member
    I'm actually a bit like you except i'm 6 foot 1
    juste did a body test at my local gym and when
    my trainer was taking my skinfold for body fat
    we realised that the abdominal fold is waaaaaaay higher than
    all the others and this could be a cortisol problem due to high stress

even tough I lost 30 pounds with cycling this summer. (13 with mfp)

she recommended shorter period of work out (1 hour or less)
    and some relaxing exercises.
  • I do weight lifting twice a week and I can see my muscle tone has improved but belly fat remains. I also do a lot of body weight resistance training at home. Is there some other kind of strength training I should be doing?

I keep losing weight too. I weighed in today at 99.4 pounds. I also eat a lot of protein throughout the day and keep myself fed and satiated with clean foods.

i have a feeling i just need to keep at it until it melts off but i've been at it for a little over a month and it hasn't shredded off yet. thanks to all who responded. =)
  • thank you. i will try the relaxation exercises. =)
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    It sounds to me you are working out a LOT. I agree with another poster about the stress, if you are putting all that hard work on your body it may respond by hanging on to that fat! I have had this happen, I cut back my workouts and saw a big difference!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    A month is not a lot of time,

Keep doing what you are doing including making sure you are fueling your workouts.

Take photos and body measurements and check monthly. The fat didn't appear on your body in a matter of weeks, it will take time to come off.
  • Thanks for the feedback and encouragement! Xx
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Lift some heavy weights & start upping your protein!!!

You might see a change in your body : )