!!Need Help!! What is the best Elliptical to buy?....

Options
Hello My Fitness Pal friends :wink: ....I'm going to be buying a Elliptical any suggestion which brand and model is best..... Thank you :flowerforyou: .... Can you please also let me know around what price range they sell it for....:happy:

Replies

• pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting an elliptical also but after seeing so many negative reviews, it scares me. It seems like you have to pay $1000+ to get a decent elliptical. Look at reviews on Amazon, Walmart, etc. before you buy.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    buy a gym quality exercise machine if you plan on using it. otherwise the cheap stuff is made with the idea that most people who buy will use a few times and never use again. the good machines will be more expensive but they will last.

a friend of mine who has space will actually buy used gym equipment. she got her stairmaster and elliptical that way. these were machines that were in perfectly good condition (especially for 1 person to use) but had some scratches and wasnt the latest model, but she gets lots of use out of them
  • coloursule
    coloursule Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    We bought our elliptical on kijiji 175$. It's a Schwinn 430 - I really love it. It's not exactly like those in the gym but you can work out really well on it. New it was worth 800$ or so. But look for used. A lot of people barely use them and then they sell it. So you can have great deals :P. I'd say look on craigslist maybe :P
  • ellieticca
    Options
    There are too many machines on the market. Here are suggest price range for selection:
    If you want a gym quality elliptical, you may have to pay up to $2000 - $3000.
    If you want durable home elliptical, you may have to pay around $1000+.
    If you seriously want to lose weight, I do not recommend the purchase elliptical under $500.

Here are some model selection resources:
    http://www.allellipticals.com/best-elliptical-machines.html
    http://www.topfitnessmachine.com/Elliptical/
  • JustDeena
    JustDeena Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Shop around, we found a great machine for under 700 doing that. We bought ours from a local cycle who also sold fitness equipment, they were getting rid last year's models to make room for new ones.
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    Hi, This may not be for you, because I do not know how much you need to lose....But I had to lose over 100pounds (137 to be exact), and I knew I could not do much to start with, or had a lot of space to keep "up-grading"....so I bought the

Pro-form HYBRID.

It is both a stationary bike, and an ellipitical, with just a quick adjustment on the pedals.....I LOVE IT!!!!

2 pieces of equipment in one! And it has a great large digital display, tension settings, and a lot of other pro's...lol

There's even a "water bottle" holder...:)

I bought it on HSN, because I could put it on my debit, bank card, and pay for it over a 5 month, interest free period....
    This is not lay away!...You log onto the site, create a free account, then put it in your shopping cart, select "FLEX PAY", and make your first interest free payment of $79 plus tax....then 4 more payments of just the $79.

It was the only way I could afford to do it......I have lost 72 pounds in 7 months, watching my intake and using this 30 minutes a day!....(I started on the bike at 5 minutes!...now I can do both for 30!!!

Here is the link for anyone interested:

http://www.hsn.com/products/proform-hybrid-trainer-elliptical-and-recumbent-bike/7217848?query=7217848&isSuggested=True

Make sure to click on, and watch the video under the picture on this link:)

Good luck!
  • kackdog
    kackdog Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi , I basically spent hours on Walmart .com reading reviews. We ended up getting a Proform 6 something. It is very stable and quiet with some good workouts built in. The only thing it doesn't have is power incline. So far really happy with it since help me drop 50 lbs. I believe we spent between 600 -700.
  • kinzerbud
    kinzerbud Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a Stamina Avari gx8 and I love it. Tons of programs, really smooth and quiet. I really like this machine.
    The cons: it's huge (just over 8 ft long), and it can be a bit tippy at faster speeds. I'm 5'4" 230 lbs and rarely get over 4 mph at my most intense (grrr, I'm a beast) so this hasn't been much of an issue for me yet, but at higher speeds, it might be.
    I know it started out around $1500, but I think they run more in the $500-$800 range if you shop around. I got mine used for $400 and thought I'd won the lottery at the time. :laugh:
    I had a cheaper Gold's gym model from wal-mart that died after about 18 months and was squeaky as hell. It did get used 2-3 hours a day by a morbidly obese person,though.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Be sure to test them out. Mine (Horizon EX-55) has the "pedals" close together which fits my rather knocked-kneed build. Most have the pedals set farther apart and they are uncomfortable and one I tried was just painful. Also, the stride length can vary a lot. Mine is rather like taking baby steps so I feel like I have to pedal real fast. But it was pretty inexpensive at Academy, has lasted about 6 years so far with regular use, and I've never had any issues with it. It's real quiet, too. Good luck!
  • kackdog
    kackdog Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ours is 600 ZNE really like for around $600 from walmart.
  • willyates57
    Options
    I would recommend looking at this site. It has several models that are a great quality for their price. I would advise you getting an elliptical from either Sole or Precor. The site has 3 great models that are from these companies.

Site : http://myfivekids.hubpages.com/hub/best-elliptical-trainers-home
  • LadyBirdGo
    LadyBirdGo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    don't do elliptical machines……

I used to love the elliptical machine. did it all the time. then I got an injury in my lower back and I went to a reputable sports medicine doc who said that the elliptical machine is dangerous because it throws your back out of alignment. This is because of the motion of your legs on the machine is not natural. There have even been studies on this in the sports medicine community. try looking this up on the internet to find some research. You have been warned!