Question about spinning/cycling class

Options
As a part of my exercise regimen, I have chosen to attend the 45 min spinning/cycling class at my local gym.
I started last week and I have done 4 classes so far. At the end of the first 3 classes, I had very tired, achy and sore legs.
Today, at the end of class 4, I was not exhausted. My legs didn't ache as much and I felt pretty good.
That's when the instructor asked us to look at the wattage numbers on our bike. She said that that number should be more than our current weight. Mine was not. In fact, it was quite a bit below.

Now, my questions are:

1) Do we really need to maintain a wattage value above our weight for the session to be productive?
2) is that why my legs didn't hurt? Because I probably didn't push myself hard enough? In other words, are tired, achy and sore legs the hallmark of a successful spinning class?

Thanks :) Really appreciate all the advice and guidance you can give me !

Replies

• curiousgemfit
    curiousgemfit Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there who can help answer my question?
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about spinning, but from asking similar questions myself I discovered that aching afterwards isn't actually a sign of anything. I think it's called delayed onset muscle soreness (?! Or something along them lines). Some people suffer with it more than others but generally when you're muscle hasn't been worked for a while it's going to hurt after strenuous activity.
  • curiousgemfit
    curiousgemfit Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about spinning, but from asking similar questions myself I discovered that aching afterwards isn't actually a sign of anything. I think it's called delayed onset muscle soreness (?! Or something along them lines). Some people suffer with it more than others but generally when you're muscle hasn't been worked for a while it's going to hurt after strenuous activity.

Thanks for replying.
    What you said makes sense. I was extremely out of shape when I started. Maybe that's why the first few classes hurt as much as they did. Now perhaps my muscles are slowly getting used to the strain. Maybe that's why my legs didn't hurt today. It also helps that I had 2 days of rest before resuming spinning classes today.
    Good to know that just because my muscles didn't feel tired/sore today, it doesn't imply that I didn't work hard.

Thanks again !
  • teioneon
    teioneon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't know about spinning classes but I can tell you about a cardio kickboxing class I take. During the first class I really felt like dying. After the second class, I threw up a little in the parking lot. Just a mouthful and I felt better. After the third class, I only felt tired and sore. Here it is about 15 classes later and I an still tired and sore but I also know I am doing better than when I first started. Sounds like you are making some progress overall. Good job! I suggest talking to the instructor and seeing what they think. Keep up the good work!
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I typically do 2 to 3 spin classes a week. The bikes we use do not track wattage. I use a heart rate monitor to track how hard I am working during my classes. My heart rate tells me if I need to increase my resistance. If your bikes give you feedback such as wattage, then try to set a goal to increase your wattage with each class. Talk to the instructor about setting goals. I try to increase my base resistance with each class.
    My legs were really sore in the beginning and after a few classes, I found that I was tired, but the soreness goes away. I stretch after each class and I make sure I drink water. I hope you have fun and keep spinning!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Locked for the following:

9. Do Not Post the Same Topic on Multiple Boards or Groups

Please choose the most appropriate board or group for your post and post it once. Posting the same message to multiple boards or multiple groups is a form of spam. Please note that this is NOT a guideline against inadvertently posting a question another member has asked before. We explicitly allow members to post questions that have been asked previously by other members. If you see a member post a topic that you think has been asked before by another member, please respond politely or simply move on. However, the same member cannot ask the same question or post the same topic more than once.
This discussion has been closed.