Here after weight loss surgery

Options
Hi, everyone! I was referred to MyFitnessPal by a friend on my weight loss surgery support board. I love how user-friendly it is!

I have struggled with my weight for most of my adult life. I was plus size, but not morbidly obese. A few years ago, I lost a significant amount of weight on a popular weight loss program. I kept it off for almost two years, until I needed to start treatment for an illness I was facing. With treatment came an additional 70 lbs that I couldn't get off, no matter how hard I tried.

I had weight loss surgery not only to lose weight, but to keep it off longer term. The illness I had has a lower chance of recurring if I can keep the weight off. I got a surgery called the Duodenal Switch. It has the greatest statistical chance of helping people keep their weight off, and it allows people to eat normally. I've been losing weight easily and steadily since I have my surgery 7 months ago.

My goal for being here is to make sure that I'm meeting my single most important nutritional goal: to get in 100 g of protein a day. 150 g would be better, but that's pushing it for me for me right now. My other goals are to stay under 100 g of carbohydrates, and to drink at least 64 oz of water everyday. For exercise, I've been sticking to walking, but I also want to add some weight training soon.

Glad to be here! Let me know how I can help support you on your journey.

Nicole

Replies

• alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Wellcome and good luck with your journey!

Btw. How much do you normally eat in a day? 100g of carbs a day sounds awfully low to me..
  • charlami
    Options
    Hi There Nicole,

There are many people here that have had surgery. You can search to forums to find groups. I myself am a DSer too. You can check out my profile for my story.

Welcome to MFP!

Charleen
  • angelintx
    angelintx Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I was referred to MyFitnessPal by a friend on my weight loss surgery support board. I love how user-friendly it is!

I have struggled with my weight for most of my adult life. I was plus size, but not morbidly obese. A few years ago, I lost a significant amount of weight on a popular weight loss program. I kept it off for almost two years, until I needed to start treatment for an illness I was facing. With treatment came an additional 70 lbs that I couldn't get off, no matter how hard I tried.

I had weight loss surgery not only to lose weight, but to keep it off longer term. The illness I had has a lower chance of recurring if I can keep the weight off. I got a surgery called the Duodenal Switch. It has the greatest statistical chance of helping people keep their weight off, and it allows people to eat normally. I've been losing weight easily and steadily since I have my surgery 7 months ago.

My goal for being here is to make sure that I'm meeting my single most important nutritional goal: to get in 100 g of protein a day. 150 g would be better, but that's pushing it for me for me right now. My other goals are to stay under 100 g of carbohydrates, and to drink at least 64 oz of water everyday. For exercise, I've been sticking to walking, but I also want to add some weight training soon.

Nicole

Welcome Nicole! I'm fairly new too. Here is where I'm finding the support and encouragement on MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/107774-wls-support-and-inspirational-information
    Hope to become friends along the way of our weight loss journey!
  • Katz85340
    Katz85340 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Nicole

Welcome! I had the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy in October. I haven't heard of the duodenal switch. What does it involve?
  • twodeals
    twodeals Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, i'm patsy and i am here after wls. i had my surgery in 2003, starting at 351. I lost 181 lbs and have keep it off until this last year. I have gained 20 lbs and do not want to gain any more. So i joined my fitness pal and the gym yesterday. WLS was the best thing that ever happened to me and i need to get myself back on track. hope to make some friends that have the same struggles that i do.
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone.

Per the amount of food: I don't actually eat a lot of food calorie-wise. On good-eating days, it's about 1500-1800 calories per day on average for me. Many days I'm way below that: on bad-eating days, it's more like 600 calories. My goal is to up my food intake so that my nutrition stays up. I'm in a protein deficiency now unfortunately, so I'm in an uphill battle.

Per the duodenal switch: Go to www.DSFacts.com to learn more about the surgery. It's a great site.

The duodenal switch, or DS, is the "platinum standard" if you will. It's a big, strong surgery. It has both a restrictive and malabsorptive component. The restriction limits the amount of food you can eat. Your stomach functions normally, but they cut about 2/3 of it off. The stomach portion of the duodenal switch is the same as the vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG) surgery that is its own separate weight loss surgery. The malabsorbtion limits the amount of nutrients that your body uses. Your intestines are re-routed so that you only absorb about 40% of the protein, 20% of the fat, 60% of the complex carbs, and 100% of the simple carbs (of course!) that you eat. The malabsorption continues to work for a lifetime.

The duodenal switch is different than the gastric bypass. With the gastric bypass operation, the malabsorption "stops working" after about two years. In an RnY, after 2 years, the body begins to absorb more calories, but not vitamins and minerals. The bypassed stomach is also different: it's not cut, but shaped into a small pouch instead.
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hey, Patsy! Let's support each other. We're both on the right track! :-)