Please offer your advice

Options
Why am I finding it so hard to gain weight? I'm 6 stone and a half, 21 years old. I have battled on and off with food for a while now but after 2 years i'm desperate to get my period back.

I eat a lot - today for example I've had a big dinner out at a japanese restaurant, two cocktaills, a big slice of banana bread, a bag of popcorn, a peanut butter and banana toastie, a bowl of yogurt and a packet of oat cakes, I have this much on a daily basis. But i'm not putting on any weight, i'm on my feet a lot of the day but I don't exercise like mad,

I HATE eating this much, I feel disgusting and greedy and bloated and abnormal. I've had tests but there is nothing medically wrong with me.

I just want to give up. But I hate my stick insect body but I can't go on eating like this - I want to eat healthily look like a pig

Replies

• jackjb2
    jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    wrong place to be asking about how to gain weight. Or maybe not lol we all seem to have been experts at gaining weight. Now we are trying to lose it
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    There's a "Gaining Weight" area under the Message Boards - try posting there :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    wrong place to be asking about how to gain weight. Or maybe not lol we all seem to have been experts at gaining weight. Now we are trying to lose it

Actually, MFP is just as much for those trying to gain as it is for people trying to lose. Your journey is not everyone elses.

OP - You sound like you're on the right track, you are young and active and will have a reasonably high TDEE. Calorie dense foods are your friend, nuts, avocado, less lean cuts of meat, full fat dairy etc. I think putting on weight for some is as hard as losing it for others, and sometimes the results can be slow. You're in the right head-space from what it seems.

People will say "eat more" and unfortunately, that really is the answer, but it just means eat more calories, not neccesarily more food, if you hear me.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain weight but do not like the idea of eating, try drinking your calories..
    You can use extreme weight gain/or mass gain (600 calories, 100g of sugar, )
    or you can use multiple protein shakes.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain weight but do not like the idea of eating, try drinking your calories..
    You can use extreme weight gain/or mass gain (600 calories, 100g of sugar, )
    or you can use multiple protein shakes.

Also a good idea, you can pack a lot of calories into a drink. Even full fat milk packs a wollop.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Put peanut butter on everything.
  • audrast
    audrast Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Chiming in to agree with others who have said to try drinking some of your calories. A glass of juice in the morning with your breakfast, protein or just nutritional shakes along with your midmorning and afternoon snacks, milk (whether cow, soy, or almond) with your dinner and maybe a smoothie in there for dessert. You can pack in close to 1000 calories that way, just from drinking!

Keep up with the good food choices! Dried fruit snacks, trail mixes, granola. Avocado is great for good fats and dense calories. Hit that guacamole! Maybe try some different cuisines if you're ok with that. It will give you some variety and might give you some good ideas about new snacks you can incorporate into your overall routine.
  • qotsagirl314
    qotsagirl314 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Have you been to a physician or a nutritionist? You might have a high metabolism OR maybe there's an underlying problem like maybe Crohn's where you don't absorb nutrients properly in your intestinal tract.

You may also need to pay attention to what kinds of foods you're eating. Maybe eat more protein & fats vs. carbohydrates because some people burn through carbohydrates like crazy. Protein will also help you build muscle. You could maybe start drinking a protein powder shake for extra calories and protein.