GRITS HEALTHY OR UNHEALTHY?

Options
This morning I had instant grits for breakfast. I planned on eating the same thing tomorrow for breakfast since it was convenient for work. Are grits a bad choice when trying to lose weight?

Replies

• chitchatcatt
    chitchatcatt Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well, corn is fed to hogs to fatten them up.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Ignore the comment above.

It's all about calories in vs. calories out. If you can fit it into your calories for the day, go for it.

You don't need to cut yourself off from food. It's all about moderation. You could lose weight eating nothing but take out as long as you stuck to your calorie goals.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    If polenta is healthy then I'd say grits are. Same thing just ground differently and served differently. By the way do they still sell the yellow quick grits in stores or is it just the white?
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    They are neither.

If you like them and they fit into your calories for the day, eat them, and aim for a balanced diet throughout the day. :smile:
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I eat them all the time! I don't do instant too many additives but they tend to be less than 200 calories a serving even with a little bit of butter.

Disclaimer:

I was born in the south
  • mjcrothers
    mjcrothers Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What are grits?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Well, corn is fed to hogs to fatten them up.
    lolwut?

OP, grits have a place in a balanced diet, just count them in your calories for the day.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Ignore the comment above.

It's all about calories in vs. calories out. If you can fit it into your calories for the day, go for it.

You don't need to cut yourself off from food. It's all about moderation. You could lose weight eating nothing but take out as long as you stuck to your calorie goals.

this:drinker:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    They are neither.

If you like them and they fit into your calories for the day, eat them, and aim for a balanced diet throughout the day. :smile:
    Accurate, probably, for the sake of the number on the scale going down.
  • LovingMe0587
    LovingMe0587 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What are grits?

It's a hot cereal. Kind of like how oatmeal and cream of wheat is. It has more of a gritty taste to it though. That's the best way I can describe it lol
  • LovingMe0587
    LovingMe0587 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I ended up eating it for breakfast again today. I was running late and it was very convenient. I will just make sure not to go over my calorie count as many of you have suggested.

Thanks again! Appreciate you guys input!