cravings

Options
I'm new to this website so bare with me. I'm having problems staying away from ice cream and cookies. I eat healthy during the day, but once dinner comes to an end I head straight to the cookie jar. The only other sugar I have throughout the day is either from fruit or natural almond butter. I just cant seem to satisfy my cravings without having what I'm craving. Any suggestions? :smile: :bigsmile:

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Make room in your calories to allow yourself a small serving of ice cream and a cookie.

Or....just don't give in to the craving.

Or....find a healthier alternative to what you're craving. Like mint chocolate chip ice cream? Chew that gum that's flavored like that. Want a cookie? Eat a chocolate chip Quest bar.
  • iamladygusta
    Options
    I too love icecream. Instead of eliminating it from my diet I bought a light vanilla option and stuck to my guns about measuring it exactly to fit in to my calorie goal. When I first started I'd have 4 servings or 2 cups... which was around 400 calories. That was about 1/2 as much as I'd normally eat. Now I am to the point where 2 servings satisfy my craving. I've heard that the less processed sugar you eat the less you crave after time.
  • Sharonmdenham
    Sharonmdenham Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this website so bare with me. I'm having problems staying away from ice cream and cookies. I eat healthy during the day, but once dinner comes to an end I head straight to the cookie jar. The only other sugar I have throughout the day is either from fruit or natural almond butter. I just cant seem to satisfy my cravings without having what I'm craving. Any suggestions? :smile: :bigsmile:

I find if I don't buy it that it won't be in the house and thus I won't crave it. If you must have it buy skinny cow ice cream less calories that normal ice cream and to me tastes better.

Sometimes cravings are caused by other things, needing more sleep for instance can cause you to crave sweets when all you really need is to go to bed. I never believed it until I was in a nutrition college class and it was in our textbook! There really is a science to nutrition.
  • karakatmartini
    Options

I find if I don't buy it that it won't be in the house and thus I won't crave it. If you must have it buy skinny cow ice cream less calories that normal ice cream and to me tastes better.

Sometimes cravings are caused by other things, needing more sleep for instance can cause you to crave sweets when all you really need is to go to bed. I never believed it until I was in a nutrition college class and it was in our textbook! There really is a science to nutrition.

Thank you for that! I really do appreciate it! I've had a hard time with it. If I "have" to have a bite or two of ice cream, ill try the skinny cow next time!
  • karakatmartini
    Options
    I too love icecream. Instead of eliminating it from my diet I bought a light vanilla option and stuck to my guns about measuring it exactly to fit in to my calorie goal. When I first started I'd have 4 servings or 2 cups... which was around 400 calories. That was about 1/2 as much as I'd normally eat. Now I am to the point where 2 servings satisfy my craving. I've heard that the less processed sugar you eat the less you crave after time.

I know its crazy how you don't realize how much you've actually had unless you really do measure it out and only eat what you measure out. I used to be really bad and take bites from the container.. I stopped once I knew how much I was really eating.
  • karakatmartini
    Options
    Make room in your calories to allow yourself a small serving of ice cream and a cookie.

Or....just don't give in to the craving.

Or....find a healthier alternative to what you're craving. Like mint chocolate chip ice cream? Chew that gum that's flavored like that. Want a cookie? Eat a chocolate chip Quest bar.

Ill try it! most of the time I do keep everything within my calories, but what worries me the most is cellulite and health problems. That's the main reason I'm trying to stay away from sugar.
  • jjulliee
    jjulliee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I've swapped healthier, more nutritious snacks for the high-calorie and high-fat sweets I used to eat. Some of the things that worked for me:

-Dipping dark chocolate into peanut butter - 60-73% cacao chocolate, made with sugar or agave instead of high fructose corn syrup. Natural peanut butter - peanuts only; no sugar or added oils. Follow the serving sizes for the chocolate and the peanut butter! This is a high-calorie snack, so you can't just chow down.

-Trail mix - when I first started eating healthier, a mix of raw almonds, dark chocolate chips (same as above: 60% cacao or higher chocolate, no high-fructose corn syrup), and dried cranberries. I know some feel dried fruit is too sweet, but it worked for me when I was trying to cut out worse things. Again, stick to the serving size, roughly 1/4 cup of trail mix.

-If you've already had your sweet snack for the day, try having a coffee with half-n-half and vanilla extract or cinnamon. I don't add sugar or artificial sweeteners to my coffee, but the combination of half-n-half and vanilla or cinnamon (or something else) helped quell my cravings and keep me on track.

-Frozen grapes. Buy a big bunch, rinse, and freeze. Grab a few when you can't beat a craving or have them around for a healthy snack. I have been eating differently for a while now, but these really do remind me of popsicles.

Reducing my processed sugar intake and cutting out high-fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners (coupled with avoidance of trans-fats, and lots of other things) has annihilated my unexplained cravings. I hope these suggestions help!
  • kellijoh82
    Options
    Allow for calories for the cookies? A small portion even works for me. I want those cookies? ...I'll eat 2 or 3 (Serving size) then walk away. I tell myself that if I stick to the serving size, I'll have the cookies around even longer which somehow translates out into "OOoh! more cookies later yay!"

If you can figure out some awesome alternatives, that would be a good idea, too. Protein/granola bars, other nifty things (generally found on pinterest).

Either way, keep doing you!
  • karakatmartini
    Options
    For the most part, I've swapped healthier, more nutritious snacks for the high-calorie and high-fat sweets I used to eat. Some of the things that worked for me:

-Dipping dark chocolate into peanut butter - 60-73% cacao chocolate, made with sugar or agave instead of high fructose corn syrup. Natural peanut butter - peanuts only; no sugar or added oils. Follow the serving sizes for the chocolate and the peanut butter! This is a high-calorie snack, so you can't just chow down.

-Trail mix - when I first started eating healthier, a mix of raw almonds, dark chocolate chips (same as above: 60% cacao or higher chocolate, no high-fructose corn syrup), and dried cranberries. I know some feel dried fruit is too sweet, but it worked for me when I was trying to cut out worse things. Again, stick to the serving size, roughly 1/4 cup of trail mix.

-If you've already had your sweet snack for the day, try having a coffee with half-n-half and vanilla extract or cinnamon. I don't add sugar or artificial sweeteners to my coffee, but the combination of half-n-half and vanilla or cinnamon (or something else) helped quell my cravings and keep me on track.

-Frozen grapes. Buy a big bunch, rinse, and freeze. Grab a few when you can't beat a craving or have them around for a healthy snack. I have been eating differently for a while now, but these really do remind me of popsicles.

Reducing my processed sugar intake and cutting out high-fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners (coupled with avoidance of trans-fats, and lots of other things) has annihilated my unexplained cravings. I hope these suggestions help!

This really did help, thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I used to try frozen watermelon but ill give the grapes a go :) thank you for your support!
  • jjulliee
    Options

This really did help, thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I used to try frozen watermelon but ill give the grapes a go :) thank you for your support!

Frozen watermelon sounds delicious :) I don't drink mixed drinks anymore, because most of them are made with mixes that have high-fructose corn syrup. I recently mashed up watermelon with vodka and made a "slush" that reminded me of the mixed drinks I used to like. Not bad :)
  • karakatmartini
    Options

Frozen watermelon sounds delicious :) I don't drink mixed drinks anymore, because most of them are made with mixes that have high-fructose corn syrup. I recently mashed up watermelon with vodka and made a "slush" that reminded me of the mixed drinks I used to like. Not bad :)

That's an awesome idea! Ill keep that in mind :)
  • justbornlucky
    justbornlucky Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I struggle with that as well. I have found that once a week or so I have a little treat. Seems to help and over time the cravings have gotten further apart. T
  • karakatmartini
    Options
    I struggle with that as well. I have found that once a week or so I have a little treat. Seems to help and over time the cravings have gotten further apart. T

Thank you :)
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    "Peanut butter out of the jar, is the fit girls ice cream out of the pint." All natural, of course. I take a tablespoon or 2 of all natural skippy peanut butter with honey, and that satisfies the hunger pangs along with any sugar cravings you have.
  • jjulliee
    Options
    "Peanut butter out of the jar, is the fit girls ice cream out of the pint." All natural, of course. I take a tablespoon or 2 of all natural skippy peanut butter with honey, and that satisfies the hunger pangs along with any sugar cravings you have.

Yum! That sounds good!
  • karakatmartini
    Options

Grandmas, always know what to do :smile: