Migraines and diet link?

Options
Hello MFP people!

My family suffers from migraines. It typically is the women in my family, (grandmother, aunts, sister and mother and myself), but my husband suffers from them as well. I was wondering if anyone has any scientific evidence which supports a link between diet and migraines? I have not noticed a link between food and my migraines, usually mine arrive after a few days of no sleep, but somebody had mentioned to me about 10 years ago that they suffered when they ate MSG.

Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• benny_87
    benny_87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi VCopple

So sorry to hear that you and your family suffer from migraines- how awful!

There are so many studies which have investigated the links between diet and migraines and several studies have uncovered different triggers.

The fact that your migraines appear to be hereditary may suggest that the trigger could be a food intolerance of some type. I have also read a study to suggest that it may be a deficiency in potassium (bananas!) MSG is said to be a trigger as many people are intolerant to it. This is because it is a manufactured additive and the body cannot metabolise it. Also, watch out for artificial sweeteners- same deal.

This is an italian study that has quite a bit of info around the findings...
    (http://www.achenet.org/resources/controversies_in_headache_medicine_migraine_prevention_diets/)

A good reference PDF about food and migranes
    http://www.nhs.uk/ipgmedia/national/migraine action/assets/migraineandfood.pdf

I'm not sure if you have already tried this route but you may get value going to see a really good naturopath who can do a series of tests to check for it. (hair follicle, live blood etc)

Maybe also have a think about what you are eating on the days when you have had little sleep- there may be a correlation there. Often people tend to turn to comfort or convenience foods such as diet sodas or bread, starch and sugar.

Hope this has helped, I'm not an expert but I am a student and love love reading research studies however this is not intended as advice, just my personal opinion.

good luck with your journey!

:)
    Tina

http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/the-dangers-of-msg
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/migraine-headache/basics/causes/con-20026358
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    There are commonly links between food and migraines, but it was never the case with me. Had migraines that started as a child. Years of doctoring, neurologists diaries, tests, etc, etc and never found a link to food, PMS, or anything. I\d get migraines that knocked me down for 3 days at a time and sometimes put me on a drip in emerg, but there was never any trigger we could nail down. Many people do find a link to food, though, so everyone is different and there are many types of migraines.

After my son was born when I was 25, I stopped getting migraines, so we guess there was something hormonal about mine though there was never a link to TOM, ovulation, or anything. I still get some brutal headaches, but it has been over 17years since I've had what I consider a true migraine.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Migraines seem to be a very individual thing, everyone seems to have different triggers some of which are dietary (dairy, sugar, MSG, chocolate, etc.) some of which are not. The best you could do is write down whatever it is you have eaten in the day or so preceding the migraine and look for patterns over time.

I have found that the only "food" that can trigger my migraines is caffeine, which sadly means I need to be mindful of how much non-decaf coffee and tea I drink on a daily basis, and even that isn't a hard and fast rule as it will depend on the presence of other factors that are known triggers (especially changes in barometric pressure, a sudden shift either up or down is pretty much guaranteed to make me miserable for at least a few days).
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    i get them as well. they haven't found my triggers. i've had mri's as well. don't know. but i'm slowly trying to discover them on my own. i did find that if i have too much cheese i get a migraine. i gave up diet coke (aspartame & caffeine) - gave me migraines. i think too much chocolate causes it too. i have chocolate but haven't really tested it. i'm also about to test gluten. i know i feel puffy when i eat it but i think it also contributes to my migraines so i've been reading up on it and just downloaded an app to help me scan items at the store for gluten, wheat (i am allergic to wheat), and msg (which i heard is a trigger). i read about dairy but i'm lactose intolerant anyway.

but i also have seasonal triggers which i know i can't control. for example the weather has been nuts lately and had one just yesterday and could not control or prevent that one. other natural triggers i might not be able to avoid.

some of my migraines last for 3-6 weeks - they're awful!!!
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Options
    There's a really good site called MTHFR.net, that is a protocol for people with an extremely common genetic variant that makes it hard for them to process toxins. Even things that wouldn't bother other people, like gluten, msg, food dies, etc even vitamins. There is a cluster of disorders that run in families that physicians are now recommending people look at their MTHFR status for. They include, autism, ADD/ADHD, strokes, parkinson's, migraine's, NAFLD, cancer, diabetes...and the list goes on and on. anyway, with your family background, and your response to diet issues, I might check it out. Lots of research there, also look up Amy Yasko. Sorry, i'm falling down sleepy. Goodnight :yawn:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't have any actual science for you, but my migraines were caused by MSG, dairy and duck eggs. Dirrect correlation, I could consume any of those and within 30 mins I'd have the auras start and within an hour I'd be out for the count.

They lessened with age and now the occasional one seems to be more stress related, but food was 100% my trigger for most of my childhood/teens.
  • fitnessman77777
    Options
    Theres a lot of links between preservatives, gluten and artificial flavoring causing inflammation in the body thus resulting in a list of ailments. Migraines being one of them. Water retention also another biggie.
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    There are many different triggers for migraines and they are not the same for everyone. Foods that often are linked to migraines are chocolate, cheese, red wine/alcohol, caffeine. There are also non-diet related triggers like lack of sleep (or too much sleep, basically it's variations in sleep patterns), fasting, excessive exercise, hormonal changes (e.g. TOM), stress, smoke, noisy environment etc etc.

I suffer from migraines, and it runs in my family too. The only food-related triggers that I've found for my migraines are caffeine and alcohol. Caffeine especially is quite impressive, I used to get a migraine within a couple hours whenever I skipped my morning coffee. Since then I cut back a bit on coffee, but I still drink it, I just make sure I don't diverge from my standard 2 cups a day. Alcohol is hit or miss on me, I drink regularly but only when in combination with other triggers (like lack of sleep or noisy environment) I end up with a migraine. I've had migraines from all sorts of non-diet related triggers, like exercising in heat, smoke, noise, lack of sleep. The last couple of years that I live a healthier lifestyle (I sleep regular hours, I eat more healthily, I walk more) I get way less migraines. I still get a (usually) small one around TOM, but other than that I don't get one in months. And even when I do, they are way weaker than in the past.

Since you've noticed that you get migraines when you don't sleep (which makes sense), that's the first issue to address. Make sure you get regular and good quality sleep. If you haven't noticed any connection with food, it's probably less important or it might not even exist.
  • VCopple
    VCopple Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I will definitely look at the studies posted and the websites suggested. There was smoke in the air today from the Yosemite Fire and I also have not been getting quality sleep, so I'll start with those things, as well as paying more attention to the TOM. Goodnight!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I've had migraines since I was 5. One of my triggers as a kid was super sugary smells- I could walk into a room with donuts or kool- aid and it would trigger a migraine.

When it slowed down when I was in my mid-20s. I discovered the awesomeness that was donuts.

Also...smog and gasoline fumes are triggers for me. Didn't discover the smog correlation until I moved as an adult. Now I HAVE to live by the oceans or mountains. For my health, you know.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Histamine containing foods are also sometimes linked to migraines. It really is a bummer to avoid them, but that might work for you!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,084 Member
    Options
    I have known other people who get migraines from MSG or from dark chocolate.

My son has had migraines intermittently since he was 4 - is now 22.

We have never noticed any link with any food though - the only thing I have noticed is that he gets them more often when he is stressed, say ,studying a lot for exams or something like that.

But sometimes they happen when not stressed too.
  • Jaywalker_7
    Jaywalker_7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I used to get them frequently. Cut out artificial sugar and they almost stopped completely. I still get one if I have a major lack of sleep, strong smells for an extended period of time, or going long hours without eating, but if I'm functioning fairly regularly they're very uncommon. It's kinda tough cuz they put fake sugar in sooo many items, even if they aren't "diet" or sugar free. So, I do a lot of label reading. Everyone has different triggers, but for some people diet definitely plays a role. Good luck, migraines suck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I haven't paid very close attention to how I react to foods but I've noticed changes in air pressure/weather can definitely bring them on. However mine, while also genetic, are mostly visual so I'm not sure if that's a different brain area or reaction. A co-worker of mine has trouble with MSG though.

The great thing about being on here is that as you log your foods, you can also add notes to your food diary about how your migraines were on that day and after some time, review the history to see if you notice any trends.

Good luck!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I get chronic migraines, but I haven't been able to link it to any specific foods, other than caffeine and alcohol. The only way to find out if to try to completely eliminate something that you think may be the culprit for awhile and see if you stop getting them. Not sleeping well could definitely be causing them. If all else fails, try botox for migraines. It's worked really well for me. (plus my forehead looks great)
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I used to be THAT person, the one that poo-pooed migraines and thought they were just headaches that people used to make excuses for not doing things. Well, I got Karma on that one. Once I hit my 30's I began to get them, and found out from my Grandma that it is indeed hereditary. I have found that mine is hormonal, because it only happens at that time of the month. Does yours coincide with any hormonal issues? I started taking Magnesium supplements every day, and I have not had a migraine in 4 months (used to be every month). I hope this helps!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My ND says that eggs are the #1 headache inducing food, if you are sensitive to it that is. I have several food headache triggers: eggs, milk, wheat, honey, but they dont usually produce migraines unless there are other factors involved.

Atmospheric pressure is my most common migraine trigger. If the barometer drops too quickly I can feel it, even if it doesnt produce a storm. I've also had it where I couldnt climb stairs because the change in altitude had me writhing on the floor and vomiting.

And taking magnesium can help like another poster suggested but only if you have a deficiency (lots of exercise can create this). I started working out 6 days a week last fall and suddenly started to experience "mild" migraines almost weekly. "Mild" because while I was getting the nausea and light sensitivity it wasnt forcing me into a dark, quiet room. I started taking magnesium and it stopped happening, so did my PMS symptoms.

I think you have to test the theories for yourself. We are biological beings constantly reacting to our environment. One person's trigger may not be yours.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've had migraines and cluster headaches for as long as I can remember, and I'd never been able to find any one trigger (cluster headaches are especially bad for that, because they happen in cycles, so what is a trigger now may not be a trigger next month).

What I have found, though, is that it wasn't a particular food, but particular types of foods, and my diet as a whole, that were triggering my headaches. In particular, my primary trigger were starches and simple carbs. I actually found this accidentally, when I switched to a way of eating based of The Primal Blueprint (for a myriad of other reasons) -- under 100g of carbs, obtained primarily from non-starchy vegetables; fats and proteins to fill in the rest; dairy only if you tolerate it; whole foods in general, etc. Within about a week, maybe two, I went from taking 800mg+ of Ibuprofen on a near-daily basis to be able to function, to not needing any at all.

I found that it was my diet as a whole that was my trigger. Me and a diet high in starchy carbs (basically the USDA guidelines) don't mix. Since reducing the starchy carbs in my diet drastically, I've been able to find cluster periods, individual trigger foods, thresholds, etc. For example, I found potatoes to be a trigger during cluster periods, though they're okay during non-cluster periods.

There is some evidence that dietary alterations that allow for the production of ketone bodies (ketogenic diet, fasting, medium-chain triglycerides) can aid in mitigating migraines -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3321471/