Does anyone drink warm lemon water in the morning?

Options
I've heard that drinking a warm cup of water with the juice of half a squeezed lemon is good for for you first thing in the morning. Supposed to help alkalize your body and speed up the metabolism. Does anyone do this? I've also heard of it with a green tea bag added as well. I've tried it with green tea added but found it hard to drink, so just wondering if its really as good for you as its supposed to be. I'll drink it regardless of the taste if it is lol. Thanks for any help :)

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Supposed to help alkalize your body and speed up the metabolism.

No, don't look for gimmicks to try and "speed up your metabolism". Just stick to a calorie deficit. You've gotta see the forest for the trees...
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Water is great for hydration. There are some very minor amounts of micronutrients in a small splash of lemon juice (not enough to worry about).

Other than that, no. There is no magical benefit to this.

If anything, ice cold water is better for your metabolism due to the small amount of energy required for your body to heat the water to room temperature... you could drink all ice cold water all day, or you could do about two jumping jacks - that should be about the same energy expenditure :bigsmile:
  • beautifuldisasta
    beautifuldisasta Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    lol, I think I'll go with the 2 jumping jacks! Thanks for the replies guys, its been very helpful!
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Nope! Sounds icky. :sick:

I prefer muffins and raisin bread!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, but cold water with a lemon in it in the morning sounds awesome!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    If you like warm water and lemon juice - drink it (and I guess log the few calories in the lemon)

If you dont like it, dont drink it.

Has no weight loss benifits either way.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What sounds awesome to me is coffee beans ground down soaked in boiling water. Then filter the grounds and drink anyone tried this or is it too off the wall?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Just coffee.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    What sounds awesome to me is coffee beans ground down soaked in boiling water. Then filter the grounds and drink anyone tried this or is it too off the wall?

^^^ This
  • fwhittaker
    fwhittaker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It helps flush out your liver before you start eating for the day which helps the whole system apparently.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I've heard that drinking a warm cup of water with the juice of half a squeezed lemon is good for for you first thing in the morning.
    Hydration is good, vitamin c is good, but a warm cup of lemonaide nothing special.
    Sounds icky, actually.
    Supposed to help alkalize your body and speed up the metabolism.
    First, lemons are acidic, not alkaline.

Second, the amount of acid in a lemon, or half a lemon, is miniscule compared to the mass of the human body, even one that's fit.

Third, your body maintains the acid/base balance in a very narrow range in order to keep a good environment for the various chemical reactions that power us. Having a couple T of the weak acid in a lemon is not going to affect that in the least.

Fourth, the acid in your stomach is much stronger than what's in a lemon.

Fifth, the "acid/alkaline theory of disease" is complete nonsense. Here's info on why:
    http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/coral2.html

Sixth, it won't do anything to your metabolism.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    It helps flush out your liver before you start eating for the day which helps the whole system apparently.
    :grumble:
    Please post citations from & links to the scientific studies which support your opinion.
    Here's PubMed, which is a good place to start your search. Good luck.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

The liver is constantly working. There is no reset, no flush, no start to the day.
    Drinking a glass of warm lemonaide won't affect the liver at all, other than providing water & some micronutrients.
  • GabriellaMaria
    GabriellaMaria Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i just like the taste, love drinking warm water anyway...:drinker:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    .. you could drink all ice cold water all day, or you could do about two jumping jacks - that should be about the same energy expenditure :bigsmile:

^^ love this :-D
  • McWooey
    McWooey Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    obviously water is good first thing and i read a cup of hot warm water is good to drink, i take it with lemon purely because i can't stand drinking hot water on its own. but i do feel heaps better drinking hot water and lemon than drinking regular tea, that's why i stick to it
  • fwhittaker
    fwhittaker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Geez some people on these discussion boards act so intellectually superior. I said "apparently". I didn't say it's definitely true or that I had done extensive research and read scientific papers on it. I read a best-selling book by Dr Sandra Cabot. She's written lots of books and hosts some TV show about getting overweight people to eat more healthy. Maybe she's wrong. I was just mentioning why people say it's a good thing to do.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    My friends do it with boiling water and fresh squeezed lemon juice. It's like a herbal drink or something. I think it helps them as they are at their goal weights and don't have problems maintaining. Just mentioning this seems to work for my friends. I would do it if using bottled concentrated lemon juice worked (which I was told it doesn't), as I find the real lemons expensive here. I did have it at my friends place in February and March, when I was flying out of and into an airport in her city and I really enjoyed it. It was strange at the first few sips but; thereafter it was enjoyable.
  • cmpnaz
    cmpnaz Posts: 190
    Options
    It is not a gimmick .... Body pH has a lot to do with Metabolism and Cell performance not to mention having positive or negative affects on most or organs and systems ... A great many things we love to eat metabolize acidic, for most a good majority , yes that morning coffee and doughnut metabolize acidic. For optimum cellular performance a neutral pH (7, same as water) to slight Alkaline pH should be the goal for someone wanting to reach optimal health... Body weight is not the only indicator of health. Many healthy weight people have health issues, some that can be helped by controlling our pH. That morning lemon water will not do it alone though. A balanced diet that is made of complex carbohydrates, and fruits ( most metabolize very alkaline) combined with the rest of your daily intake such as meat proteins that mostly metabolize Acidic while throwing in a little lemon water while eating some watermelon and avocado will help towards keeping a more neutral pH.

Nothing wrong with the warm lemon water in the morning, but not so much just as a means to lose weight. I have been using it myself, but with apple cider vinegar added as well. During allergy season I add a teaspoon of Local organic honey to help with fighting those allergy issues.

Your body is a machine, and when cells and systems are working at their fullest potential everything including weight loss are optimized.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No. :sick:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I drink 4-8 ounces of water first thing before coffee every morning. Warm lemon water sounds great. I think anything that gets you drinking water first thing in the morning does a body good. No scientific research done to support my statement, I do better with small good starts to my day.