fasting for a week

Options
so i know this might be risky but fasting for a week at the end of every month (as long as i drink plenty of water ofcourse)

and continue with my normal workout routine (40mins of elliptical, 10 miles on bike, 15 mins dumbbells) i wont gain most of it back anddddd it will show on the scale (since i only weigh myself once a month).

is this gonna work or totally fail? i am going to continue to take vitamins, and protein shakes, but nothing else after that.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'll leave it to others with more time to come in and point out the all sorts of no.
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    that bad huh, damn
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I'm with the cat ^^^^
  • CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    nods, i think the cat is always right!
  • millie1871
    Options
    Why dont you follow the 5:2 diet, which means fasting twice a week.

Over the space of the month this will equal at least 8 days so more than a week of fasting but it has been proven to be a safe and effective way.

If you are fasting for a whole week you will push your body into starvation mode and it will cling onto calories when you start eating again. Also you shouldn't be so obsessed with the scales because after a week not eating you are more likely to have lost water weight and more dangerously muscle mass.
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You are also going to have an extremely difficult time working out during a week of fasting after the first day or two without food. It would be more effective and safer to follow 5:2.
  • traceyandelliemay
    Options
    ive done juice fasting and water fasting but for anymore than 5 days u need medical attention and its best to be at a fasting gathering for longer fasts a 2 day fast is fine on your own but u should work ur way into it as some people have high toxicity and it could make u dizzy or even pass out. just start by skipping a meal or even try a juice fast to begin with it will be easier on your body. trust me! I was an avid faster for health and spiritual reasons for years. its a loving act and u need to be gentle on yourself while fasting. definitely read up on it k like research it big time xx
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    In short, No.

Read this article about IF, specifically this part:

"My rough template looks like this:

5-7 times per week – fasts should be between 12 and 16 hours long.
    3-4 times per week – fasts should be between 16 and 20 hours long.
    1-2 times per week – Fasts should be between 20 and 24 hours long.
    1-2 times a month – Fasts should be between 24 and 72 hours long.

Any longer than this and you’re looking at something you should do every other month at the most, and if it’s much longer than 72 hours you should consider doing so under medical supervision."

http://www.niashanks.com/intermittent-fasting-doing-it-wrong/
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    so i know this might be risky but fasting for a week at the end of every month (as long as i drink plenty of water ofcourse)

and continue with my normal workout routine (40mins of elliptical, 10 miles on bike, 15 mins dumbbells) i wont gain most of it back anddddd it will show on the scale (since i only weigh myself once a month).

is this gonna work or totally fail? i am going to continue to take vitamins, and protein shakes, but nothing else after that.
    So tell me why would you think starving yourself for a week is a good idea?
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Please don't do this to yourself.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    O.o Why would you want to do this to yourself? Seriously if your gonna fast, which I do though I prefer the 16/8, do it safely such as a 5/2 or every other day or something.
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Why?

and

No

and

No again
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh
    52fc40c1425d46ce1c3621_zps63c31c08.gif
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The big (and unanswered...) question is why?

There are plenty of well thought out and sensible intermittent fasting plans so suggest doing some research to see if one of them matches yours goals (whatever they are...) and sound sustainable to you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like others have asked, why? It is not healthy and seems unlikely to aid with any goals you may have, but if you are after something specific we may have ideas on a better way to achieve it.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Yup. Risky. You should really be starting at the beginning of the month.
  • JVClubs
    Options
    to ask everyones question of why, i just like to the see the scale say something besides 12 or less this month. losing 12 lbs was a shock to me getting accustomed to losing 14-15+ a month, i know as i lose weight it will be harder to take off, so im trying to adjust now
  • JVClubs
    Options
    Why dont you follow the 5:2 diet, which means fasting twice a week.

Over the space of the month this will equal at least 8 days so more than a week of fasting but it has been proven to be a safe and effective way.

If you are fasting for a whole week you will push your body into starvation mode and it will cling onto calories when you start eating again. Also you shouldn't be so obsessed with the scales because after a week not eating you are more likely to have lost water weight and more dangerously muscle mass.

never thought of it like this but its a great idea, imma check this out